LeoKnight

Anyone got updates on the Race? I see they say follow live on Twitter but im not on twitter :eek:  (can only use so much social media)

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it’s not the event but just our nature to expect more and more year on year. This lead to the decision in my earlier post to not consider W2W in 2018 and look elsewhere for some new adventures.

Agree, I think you will also find the same type of complaints every year - "food not as good as in the past", "standards slipping" - maybe we tend to only remember the better bits of previous races.

Also something like food is subjective, both times I did the W2W I thought the food was great while a whole lot of hubbers were complaining.

From my side I was super impressed by the organisation. The showers were super, the toilet facilities excellent and clean. Never had to wait in a queue. The bike wash was great also, and the staff friendly.

The food was, mmmm, not spectacular. For example, for breakfast, the slices of toast were curled up pieces of bread, and the croissants on day 3 not great. The bacon were cold but the scrambled egg was good. As someone said, food is a subjective thing and depends on what you are used to. I just highlighted some things where they can improve on without stretching their budget.

My biggest bug-bear was the fact that you were barraged with marketing all the time.

Also, on the first night the generator were too close to the tents. Someone must have complained because by the second night it was further away.

Winners are in for the Race Stage 1

1) songoinfo’s Swiss duo @sauserwind and @konnylooser (2:49)

2) AfricanMTBteam (about 1 minute behind them)

3) NadProMtb’s @Gawiecombrinck & @nicobellsracing (4 min off the pace)

1) songoinfo’s Swiss duo @sauserwind and @konnylooser 

Dam that's quick

Skubarra, 2015 is a case in point.

I did not find the catering anything to rave about, thought that our work "canteen" provided food of better quality, and definitely a lot more palatable. Steak was flavorless, etc. On day two I did not even get my Spur Burger, as they packed up almost an hour earlier, and the one lady had an attitude when I asked about it, told me that they must "clean their equipment, no more burgers will be made" although the ingredients was there in sufficient quantity.

I was severely taken to task by the hubbers because I dared to mention it. Guess it was a result of the "hype" of the excellent quality and quantity of food available. My expectations as a result, was quite high. However, I did not experience it like that.

Then I went and did the J2C the following year, was told the same about the food, etc.

Went there with my W2W experience in the back of my mind. Man, was I in for a surprise. The food was everything it was billed to be, and more. You could literally choose what you wanted from a wide variety, and you could eat as much as you wanted, enough food was available as long as the Food Tents was open.

I'm not even gonna talk about the Water / Food tables out on the routes, it was a gastronomic delight, each and every one of them. And yes, I came back weighing more after 9 days of riding, so that part was also true.

But what I wanted to say, some people are easier to please, and also settle for less than expected, where others expect to receive what was promised.

And before I get raked over the coals again, I'm quite a grumpy guy, yes, but I'm not unrealistic in my expectations for what is offered during a "mass participation event"

Team Spur / RedE? 

Dam that's quick

Cool conditions and a light NW blowing. It was bound to be quick. And the conditions favoured the Europeans. It must have felt like home for them.

Not bad for a pensioner @sauserwind

I might be a little premature on this but are the photos taken on route available anywhere yet? Do we get to buy them or what is the procedure?

This was my first ever W2W and also my first ever stage race.

I really believed that I was well prepared. Personal challenges from my partners side made it a stressful experience. Besides that he didn't really train which really made me stress. He fell out early on day 1...at 7.69km...

This left me on my own and from deadlast with the sweeps (such fantastic people) I managed to improve my seeding (I did no seeding races), so even on a hellavu hot day I managed to ride well which proved that I had worked hard. (I am whale at 113kg, whicn probably made the race tougher)

On the 2nd day about 15-20km out I met a guy who also lost his partner and was looking to stop. We rode out day 2 and did the whole of day 3 together. This made me realize just how important a partner is. I am sure I would have finished had I gone 100% solo but day 3 was the most enjoyable day I had. We had fun talking and riding. First pointer...pick the right partner...just cos you are friends doesn't mean you should ride together.

I would love to complain about people who couldn't ride singletrack but won't cos I need to climb better to get there before them. I ca n proudly say rode every single piece and to see people walking floored me. There really is nothing technical there.

I thought the catering, admin and all round organisation was great, but again I don't have much to compare it to.

For me the most important question is will I do this again...W2W or any stage race...it is highly unlikely. I say this bacause this type of riding doesn't elicit any form of joy from me. There is a huge sense of accomplishment, and I feel great for what I achieved, but I only really ever enjoyed it when I was riding proper singletrack...sounds of silence, hemel en aarde etc. After reading a comprehensive review on the Eselenduro I can honsetly say that that sounds way more like the person I am and how I like to ride. I don't care how many meters I climb, I wanna know how many I can come down!

This sealed it for me I will be going longer travel. And doing a skills course. Even though I could ride everything I'd like to be even more gnarly!!!

I give the experience 9/10. I would recommend it to anybody. Even if it only serves as a right of passage or a method of self discovery.

Nice summary. For your type of riding and can really recommend the Piket-Bo-Berg race as well. By far the best single track I have done in a race.

Archived