Wet spots come and go on tubeless.

Johnny 55

Johan

Just some follow up questions, and confirmation:

1. The leaks started after replacing the Stans? How did you remove it, and did you perhaps open up holes in the tube that were previously sealed?

2. Are they old thorn holes? See 1 above. If so, its not the typical seeping/weeping sealent effect.

Personally, I think you opened up old holes when you replaced the sealent. I'd suggest you top it up, inflate, and spin/ride the wheel for a while to ensure the Stans covers the holes and have time to seal it up. Repeat of needed.

Or just replace the tyre

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Maxxis Ikon and have the same thing happening. According to my non-scientific observation, it happens when I top up the sealant and maybe add a little more sealant than recommended. It's sealant seeping through sealed holes in the tyre. Tyre pressure loss is very minimal, almost not noticeable.

To me, this is a non-issue. I rode Trans Baviaans on the same tyre, and about 1000km after that, without any issues whatsoever. Personally, and this is only my humble and non-scientific opinion, I would not change a tyre because of it.

I run a Maxxis Ikon and have the same thing happening. According to my non-scientific observation, it happens when I top up the sealant and maybe add a little more sealant than recommended. It's sealant seeping through sealed holes in the tyre. Tyre pressure loss is very minimal, almost not noticeable.

To me, this is a non-issue. I rode Trans Baviaans on the same tyre, and about 1000km after that, without any issues whatsoever. Personally, and this is only my humble and non-scientific opinion, I would not change a tyre because of it.

Agree

I have this currently on a Racing Ralph and had it on many other tires in the past. It’s never given me issues. So I just ignore it. I think it’s pretty normal.

My theory is that it happens with older sealant but I can’t be certain as it happens all over the wheel, not just in the area where the sealant lies over night.

Hi

Thank you. Like I said I will always use maxxis, its great tyres & I will never use anything else again. Theres only 5 cycle shops in George & Mosselbay & they ususally just stock Crossmark 2.1, Ardent race & Ikon. I havent been able to find something like Agressor anywhere or High roller.

Thanks again & its no biggie im just gonna replace them with Tr's.

????

Hi

Thank you. Like I said I will always use maxxis, its great tyres & I will never use anything else again. Theres only 5 cycle shops in George & Mosselbay & they ususally just stock Crossmark 2.1, Ardent race & Ikon. I havent been able to find something like Agressor anywhere or High roller.

Thanks again & its no biggie im just gonna replace them with Tr's.

No worries Johan. You must remember you are in an outlying area, and though we would obviously all like our Maxxis dealers to stock every model this simply isn't possible. There is no reason why they can't order it for you though ;)

This is my observation as well. 

This recently happened to me on mt back tyre, Schwalbe Rocket Ron. Also started to happen afrer i changed the sealant (Stans).

There are apots all over the tyre but its holding air perfectly and still.has plenty life left. Had a dew rides since this with no issues.

If its holding air and still so afrer a ride I would leave it as is and buy another part that you need rather...hahaha

This recently happened to me on mt back tyre, Schwalbe Rocket Ron. Also started to happen afrer i changed the sealant (Stans).

There are apots all over the tyre but its holding air perfectly and still.has plenty life left. Had a dew rides since this with no issues.

If its holding air and still so afrer a ride I would leave it as is and buy another part that you need rather...hahaha

My Maxxis Ardent and Icons does this as well after about 6 months. About 60% tread left, and wet spots all over the place. It holds air and nothing happens when you ride, but the problem is the wet spots are sealant leaking out, and that means my sealant lasts half of the normal life, and I end up replacing the tire on 60% tread left

When you replaced the Stans did you  clean the inside of the tyre ?

You sometimes find a "skin" of dried/drying sealant on the inside and perhaps when you removed it, you opened up the old holes.

I say just spin the wheel and let them re-seal. I find that the longer I ride a wheel the better it hold air.

I found that my Ardent Skin wall tyres also leak out. I bought them beginning of September. Last week I actually changed the rear to the Crossmark I have, as that doesn't leak, and I have a race coming up.I find the Crossmark LUST to have a very thick sidewall, ideal to finish the race at least :-), and I changed to American Classic valves.

When I opened up my front tyre, it was as though the Stan's had lost most moisture, as it wasn't runny anymore, just in a line in the centre of the tyre. I topped up with 120ml of Tyre Juice, so lets see if this works better. 

I have used almost all the different conti's out there, except for the Mud King. But I simply love the Maxxis tyres. They're awesome. After a race I completed, I found 3x big thorns in the front tyre a week after the race, and it did not lose any pressure.

I find that the Vredestein Black Panther's on my 26" tends to cry a bit as well. a few odd '000 km's later and no major issues other than the wet spots, I top Stan's up every 3 months or so and besides the wet spots I have no issue with them sealing punctures.

On my 29" I run Vittoria's, Barzo and Saguaro, no leakage issues.  

When you replaced the Stans did you  clean the inside of the tyre ?

You sometimes find a "skin" of dried/drying sealant on the inside and perhaps when you removed it, you opened up the old holes.

I say just spin the wheel and let them re-seal. I find that the longer I ride a wheel the better it hold air.

The problem he has is a common problem with Maxxis, especially in very dry areas, or thats what my LBS told me...

I cleaned my tyre out with sunlight & toothbrush. Maybe I shouldnt have done that. Anyways im on my way now to purchase new ones. Ride on.

No worries Johan. You must remember you are in an outlying area, and though we would obviously all like our Maxxis dealers to stock every model this simply isn't possible. There is no reason why they can't order it for you though ;)

Whilst here, when are the newer WT Maxxis in 27,5 arriving?

Really looking for 2,6 or so in Minion SS or DHF...   no body seems to know anything, really asked around a number of CT stores.