Average Speed

CoachShane

Good Morning Guys,

I am a novice cycler. I have been ridiing now for about 3 months and just crossed over to cleats yesterday. I am riding a Mongoose Tecoli Comp MTB. I stick to roads on all my routes unless i go to a MTB trail. Now i have a couple friends and family on Strava who have been cycling much longer than me so its a little difficult to judge my average speed against theres. I wanted to know if there is a good average speed for a MTB on the road on distances between 20 KM - 30 KM ? I am currently averaging between 20/22 KM/H 

Thanks in advance

Far too many variables to guess a general estimate, hills, windy areas, straight vs windy roads or lots of stops.

Best is to just look at the Strava times for the routes you ride, but in all honesty, if you have just recently been hitting the road, then your only real competitor is yourself. 

So if you are doing an average of 20/22, then try and pic this up to a 25/28km average and work from this point on....better yet ... if you see a cyclist ahead, race to catch and pass this rider, then hang on for dear life to keep the gap :P

MOST IMPORTANTLY, enjoy whatever you do on the bike first and foremost.

Thanks man Hairy. Yes i am always competing against myself with anything so that's my best bet just wanted to see more or less where i was ranking amongst like minded cyclists in my position but as you say there are many variables affecting it

As Hairy said, way too many variables.  Just changing your tyres could have an impact.  By rights moving to cleats should already increase your avg slightly (if you use the pedals correctly).  Riding in groups could make a huge difference, not just the slip streaming but also the fact that you are in a group you tend to push yourself harder.  For me on the same route there is about 3-5 kmh difference between the road bike and the MTB

I ride once or twice a week with my 12yo daughter in a group. Apprroximately 30km. On MTB with Roadies during the week (not keen to wash bikes before work). On the East Rand it is relatively flat, but can be a little windy around the airport. She can manage about 24km/h Ave on her own. The group usually does about 26-28km/h ave. I end up having to push her every now and then, especially towards the end of the ride.

The trick is to find a group that is willing re-group a few times at the top of climbs.

We find that group rides add about 15% to our pace, if we can stay in the middle of the group. We still sometimes get dropped out the back, but I know from previous experience with my 16yo daughter, it won't be long until she will be able to keep up on her own. Group rides have definitely made us stronger.

If you can manage 22km/h on your own, will will probably manage 24-25km/h in a group.

First few times might be a bit tough, and you should be prepared to lose the group. But within a few rides you will probably keep up just fine.

How I "feel" about it:

on MTB with Roadies

24-26km/h reasonably easy (reasonably fit noobs usually manage)

26-29km/h nice training pace

30-32km/h starts to get tough

32km/h+ not for me thanks (especially before a work day)

I wanted to know if there is a good average speed for a MTB on the road on distances between 20 KM - 30 KM ? I am currently averaging between 20/22 KM/H 

I think that is actually on the dot and a fair ave speed.  (Iow not racing, intervals, sprinting etc, but just a lekka ride for the distance.)

(OK maybe because it correlates with my experience ;)

Good Morning Guys,

I am a novice cycler. I have been ridiing now for about 3 months and just crossed over to cleats yesterday. I am riding a Mongoose Tecoli Comp MTB. I stick to roads on all my routes unless i go to a MTB trail. Now i have a couple friends and family on Strava who have been cycling much longer than me so its a little difficult to judge my average speed against theres. I wanted to know if there is a good average speed for a MTB on the road on distances between 20 KM - 30 KM ? I am currently averaging between 20/22 KM/H 

Thanks in advance

You have a heart rate monitor?

That's the best way to monitor your effort, CoachShane.

Archived