Titan Skyrim Range, yes or no?

bologniusmaximus

Out of interest, what decent forks are there in the 6k range and from where?

I'd also like to know that. Not to mention this is a plus bike, so the forks tend to be a little more expensive than the 29er or 650b counterparts.

Because this bike will need a fork upgrade.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid looking bike! Well done, Titan!

My only negative remarks would be that they spend more ZAR on higher end drivetrains, whereas that could've been used to spec a better fork. Also, the no-name brand tyres would probably have to be replaced quite quickly, as I can't imagine them being super durable. 

If I was you I'd seriously consider this Merida One-Forty 600 from the guys at Bike-addict https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/bicycles/products/merida-one-forty-600-2017 . At R24k I don't think you'll find a better spec for the price.

Those Mattoc forks are highly rated and the rest of the parts don't seem like anything would need changing.... wide bars, short stem, dropper, 1x and decent rubber, seems to tick the boxes.

I haven't seen or ridden one but saw the add when was looking for a bike for my Brother.

Might be worth a look and I think the guys do free shipping 

Yes. Cliffie (former PYGA) is there now and trying to move towards affordable trail shredders Ito bike design. If this was my budget, and I wanted new, I'd go for it.

I was going to say it looks the lovechild of a Pyga and a Mondraker.

Also 140mm recon?? that thing must be like a wet noodle.

If I was you I'd seriously consider this Merida One-Forty 600 from the guys at Bike-addict https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/bicycles/products/merida-one-forty-600-2017 . At R24k I don't think you'll find a better spec for the price.

Those Mattoc forks are highly rated and the rest of the parts don't seem like anything would need changing.... wide bars, short stem, dropper, 1x and decent rubber, seems to tick the boxes.

I haven't seen or ridden one but saw the add when was looking for a bike for my Brother.

Good option, but the OP is looking at 27.5 plus

Good option, but the OP is looking at 27.5 plus

Ah yes I see now, but would plus be better for wet and muddy conditions that OP is wanting the plus for? Possibly putting the minion on the back and getting something like a Mary 2.35 or Butcher 2.6 for the front could be better anyways

I agree the Titan is a great option, but to throw in another, you may still be able to get 2017 Trek Fuel EX5s for around R23k, 29er or 27.5 plus.

They don't come with a dropper, and not as good a drivetrain (but you can upgrade that and add a dropper and still come out under R30k), and has similar forks and brakes.

I agree the Titan is a great option, but to throw in another, you may still be able to get 2017 Trek Fuel EX5s for around R23k, 29er or 27.5 plus.

They don't come with a dropper, and not as good a drivetrain (but you can upgrade that and add a dropper and still come out under R30k), and has similar forks and brakes.

Not keen on trek bikes. Already own a trek and while the bike is fine, I do feel like I paid way too much for what I got. So trying a different make is part of this exercise.

Ah yes I see now, but would plus be better for wet and muddy conditions that OP is wanting the plus for? Possibly putting the minion on the back and getting something like a Mary 2.35 or Butcher 2.6 for the front could be better anyways

It's worth a good test. I've tried out a specialized stumpy with 2.4 29ers and the grips was good, but the price is above my budget. I also tried out a Lapierre hardtail plus bike and the grip was the same, so that's why I want to go for it.

My current bike has almost zero grip. But it wasn't built for the riding I do.

If I was you I'd seriously consider this Merida One-Forty 600 from the guys at Bike-addict https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/bicycles/products/merida-one-forty-600-2017 . At R24k I don't think you'll find a better spec for the price.

Thanks,

I've been driving Wayne at Bike-addict crazy these last few months while shopping. Jumping between a lot of bikes. But he's already confirmed that one is only available in frame sizes I cannot use.

I was going to say it looks the lovechild of a Pyga and a Mondraker.

Also 140mm recon?? that thing must be like a wet noodle.

It's a new revision of their recons. So who knows, I'm willing to risk it and see what it's like. It is just temporary until I can grab a better front fork and brakes.

It's worth a good test. I've tried out a specialized stumpy with 2.4 29ers and the grips was good, but the price is above my budget. I also tried out a Lapierre hardtail plus bike and the grip was the same, so that's why I want to go for it.

My current bike has almost zero grip. But it wasn't built for the riding I do.

I think you're going to find tyres are the biggest factor in whether the bike has grip on specific terrain. 27.5 vs 29 vs boost vs plus will have a much smaller effect than getting the right tyre for the conditions.

I think you're going to find tyres are the biggest factor in whether the bike has grip on specific terrain. 27.5 vs 29 vs boost vs plus will have a much smaller effect than getting the right tyre for the conditions.

Very true. I'm curious how good the grip is on this Titan.

• 2 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're looking at muddy and slippy trails you want to stick with a 29er. Plus tyres tend to 'float' on wet muddy stuff. They are great on everything else though.

I was looking at the slider 1 as they go for around 26k these days and come with much better equipment than the slider 2.

But I want a plus bike because the trails here are super muddy and slippery.

Bolognius did you end up getting a Skyrim? I am also interested in one but can't find any reviews or 3rd party info on them. I testrode one in a parkinglot the past weekend and really liked it so I am really interested to find out how they are on trails.