2017 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

LeoKnight

The beta confuses me. Durbie Dash had a beta of 1.19 but is fast flat and slightly shorter. SCT was harder with Helshoogte and Rain with similar overall ascent and Beta only 1.04.

My time for both was identical 2:46 (funny that) and I found this ride harder. So would have thought it would have been a similar beta ateast not 15% difference

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gets complicated further by whether or not they adjust the winning time... Langebaan had a high beta (good) but the winning time was made 10 minutes quicker (bad)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was third over the line at Debbie – – and finished in the second bunch on Sunday and got a better seeding for Sunday’s ride. Strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep my seeding also increased from G to F.. New index 24.... But still think Beta is like a black magic box and calculated by wizards

Sheesh - I started this year with no seeding, having never done any road races. But I had a good 99er and then had a good SCT. I've now ridden 2 races ever, and have a PPA seeding of D. So basically if you're in one of the early starting groups in future races and see some D&&S who doesn't know what he's doing in an experienced peleton - sorry, that's probably me. 

Found your key, kudos!

Actually saw that they also picked up a pair of keys at the Wellington Waterpoint, hoping that guy also got his keys back

Sheesh - I started this year with no seeding, having never done any road races. But I had a good 99er and then had a good SCT. I've now ridden 2 races ever, and have a PPA seeding of D. So basically if you're in one of the early starting groups in future races and see some D&&S who doesn't know what he's doing in an experienced peleton - sorry, that's probably me. 

So come March next year, we will have Hubbers moaning and bitching about some tool that caused a crash down Hospital Bend.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

So come March next year, we will have Hubbers moaning and bitching about some tool that caused a crash down Hospital Bend.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

I actually have an entry, but something's come up and I can't make it. 

Yes that was me - 2 wonderful guys unclipped me and had to carry me to the car.  Couldn't finish unfortunately :( Can't put any weight on my right leg due to something in my hip.  Really hoping its just bruising and not tendon/cartilage damage but its too soon to tell.  Hobbling in crutches with a follow up appointment Monday 

Ahh bugger, fingers crossed just tissue damage and heals fast

The beta confuses me. Durbie Dash had a beta of 1.19 but is fast flat and slightly shorter. SCT was harder with Helshoogte and Rain with similar overall ascent and Beta only 1.04.

My time for both was identical 2:46 (funny that) and I found this ride harder. So would have thought it would have been a similar beta ateast not 15% difference

Just remember, beta is not human decided, its a algorithm.. I think it works in % of fast riders going slower than expected and might even check if slow guys went lot faster (negative beta).

This is why one tonner is so high beta, lots fast guys fall back to help there slower team mates...

Well, that what i figured out so far.

Yes that was me - 2 wonderful guys unclipped me and had to carry me to the car.  Couldn't finish unfortunately :( Can't put any weight on my right leg due to something in my hip.  Really hoping its just bruising and not tendon/cartilage damage but its too soon to tell.  Hobbling in crutches with a follow up appointment Monday 

oh no !

Shell! That is terrible. Hope it is not to serious and that you get to recover soon.

Healing vibes for all that had incidents in this race. Hope you all heal up fast.

I am just glad I had no incident, but at times it required fierce concentration with the rain pelting you and the cars screaming past throwing up more spray. I had such a stiff neck Sunday evening from the stress of concentrating.

If you still have the entry i have soneone who is looking for one, please pm me and we can chat.