Which dually to go for: Silverback or Merida?

Red Bird

Hi

I am looking into buying a dual-suspension bike as I am looking for a bit more comfort compared to my current Silverback Slade hardtail. I like cross-country riding and my budget is at R30000 max, so I narrowed it down to the Merida Ninety Six 600 (2018) and the Silverback Sido 2.

Main smilarities: aggressive geometry, 100mm and 90mm of travel, 29” wheels, Rockshocks front and Fox rear, approximate weight 13,3kg. I am very happy with the above.

Main differences:

S) 2x10 Deore & XT / M) 1x11 SLX

S) Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 / M) Maxxis Ikon 2.2

S) Vertical shock / M) Horizontal shock.

My main concern is which would be “better”. I like the wider tyres of the Merida for more traction, but where I can’t make up my mind is with the gear setting and shock placing.

Any advice/experience will be appreciated.

post-39356-0-49408100-1513458765_thumb.jpeg

post-39356-0-13789600-1513458777_thumb.png

Edited by Engel-a

Tough call...The Silverback looks frigging awesome! There don't seem to be any major complaints for either brand and both have a pretty solid fan-base.

I like the silverback more than the merida. I would just ask the shop if you can "upgrade" to a 1x11 because CWC was selling SLX upgrade kits for the price of a pair of tekkies over black friday.

Edit: CWC still have the upgrade kits for under 2k.

Edited by lerouc

I like the wider tyres of the Merida for more traction, but where I can’t make up my mind is with the gear setting and shock placing.

Tyres are easily changed, I personally would allow zero influence on the decision in that area.

With regards to the shock, to quote Patchelicious' tongue in cheek comments here, he can't even give away a bike that doesn't have a vertical shock... ;)

Thanks for your advice/votes ;)

I figure the drivetrain & tyres are easily changable. From what I read on the interwebz the main factor with shock placement is weight distribution which affects centre of gravity, mostly affecting longer travel bikes. So my dicision will have to be based on looks.....

Silverback.

Edited by Engel-a

If I were to choose from your options then I would go for the Merida as I've had a few in the past and have always been happy with them.

I went through the same exercise as you  a while ago and landed up looking at the new 2018 Giant Anthem 2 29''er which is about 6K more than your options but then you have everything you want, vertical shock, 1 x 11 setup and aggressive geometry.

BikeHUb article

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/first-look-the-new-2018-giant-anthem-29-r6680

Hi

I am looking into buying a dual-suspension bike as I am looking for a bit more comfort compared to my current Silverback Slade hardtail. I like cross-country riding and my budget is at R30000 max, so I narrowed it down to the Merida Ninety Six 600 (2018) and the Silverback Sido 2.

Main smilarities: aggressive geometry, 100mm and 90mm of travel, 29” wheels, Rockshocks front and Fox rear, approximate weight 13,3kg. I am very happy with the above.

Main differences:

S) 2x10 Deore & XT / M) 1x11 SLX

S) Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 / M) Maxxis Ikon 2.2

S) Vertical shock / M) Horizontal shock.

My main concern is which would be “better”. I like the wider tyres of the Merida for more traction, but where I can’t make up my mind is with the gear setting and shock placing.

How about:

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-5-29/p/2132600-2018/?colorCode=grey

I struggle to understand this obsession with shock placement, well I do from a 'hub mentality' point of view I suppose.

I would suggest that only very very few top riders (who wouldn't need advice from us, definitely not me anyway) would notice any difference. I would not use that as a criteria.

As others have said, tyres can be changed to what you want I'm sure.

I know that test rides are difficult to arrange so I guess you'll be stuck with a few personal preferences suggested here and the looks ... Me? I'd take the Merida

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Merida IMO. Just because I have a few mates with them and they seem to be well built and reliable. I’m not saying the Silverback is not, I just don’t have a reference. However, in saying that you currently have a silverback, so if you’ve had trouble free and awesome LBS support on the brand.....why change? Stick with the brand you know. But I am seriously allergic to front derailures. They have no place on a MTB for me anymore.