2018 PPA CycloSportif

LeoKnight

Must say i really enjoyed yesterdays race with my UCI friends.

Kept the race interesting and hard.

If it wasn't for them would have been a very boring race as most big teams decided not to race. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say i really enjoyed yesterdays race with my UCI friends.

Kept the race interesting and hard.

If it wasn't for them would have been a very boring race as most big teams decided not to race.

Was definitely “interesting”, hard not so much.

Was definitely “interesting”, hard not so much.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  Not making me feel any better about my ride yesterday. :whistling: 

But all good , there will always be the next race  :clap:  :clap:

Qu is, is it a fun "ride" or "race" :ph34r:  LOL

We had the ladies start with us in C-D, They seemed to be all over the show when we were going 45-50km/h on the rollers, but they weren't bad on the uphills, Often the 1 lady was caught 5 or 6 wheels behind her partner, So we often allowed her to ride up and ride on her partners wheel to keep them together, But they were never a problem unlike some other guys who just seem to lack bunch riding skills. Fortunately there was no accident in our bunch, we ALMOST had a crash when approaching the scene of the A-B crash, we all moved right and I shouted don't run to look, look forward, and as we passed I saw a few wobbling wheels and some decent recoveries. The crosswinds on the way back got a tad hairy with all the guttering going on, but all in all it was a good event I think.

started in the same group and don't think the guttering after the left turn near Malmesbury had anything to do with intentionally riding people off the back. Sorry for sounding like a regimental sgt major giving fellow riders details on how to ride in an echelon but if you want to catch the group in front, a bit of team work goes a long way.

Well done to ppa, been yonks since I last rode a road event and toilets, entries, marshalling, .... was faultless.

I was right behind the riders that went down. Happened because guy in front of me was putting his bottle back in (at 52kph!) and spent too much time looking down. Didn't see group slowing slightly and went at straight into the guy in front of him. Then the carnage behind me.

I hit the guys bike, cut the side of my shoe and grazed my calf possibly on his bladed spokes, but stayed on fortunately. Others behind weren't so lucky.

Hope everyone heals well. And learns something from this incident.

A video should be up on YT shortly (a friend had a gopro).

I was in that crash. This is exactly the reason why there should not be juniors in the A bunch. And he bragged at the start about his 4.2 watts / kg. 

I don't care about your watts! Can you ride in a bunch?

So unnecessary!

Edited by dee_biker

ok, it's a Fun Ride so this seems like too much from the get go.  But even assuming this was a proper race, wouldn't pulling your brakes when you get to the front be against the rules?  Intentionally endangering the riders behind you to disrupt the chase?

Rotating to the front and giving a dead wheel is common in the pro peleton when you have a teammate in the breakaway, but I haven't actually heard of guys getting to the front and pulling brakes - that seems incredibly dangerous.

That and then cutting into the paceline randomly so people who are trying to recover have to take avoiding action. 

Hi guys,

I was riding right after the cyclist who crashed, been lucky to move in time and catch it on video.

Hope no one got hurt badly 

43:31 - okes go down. Savage exit stage right :/

Hi guys,

I was riding right after the cyclist who crashed, been lucky to move in time and catch it on video.

Hope no one got hurt badly 

Also, your bike handling is pretty top notch! 

Also, your bike handling is pretty top notch! 

Trust me, I freaked out! A good friend and teammate just had a bad accident at DC and I was like "here we go again" 

Very tense race until the climb, some okes were doing absurd things, one of them took 5 min to pull out some food "apple" from his pocket.

I was in that crash. This is exactly the reason why there should not be juniors in the A bunch. And he bragged at the start about his 4.2 watts / kg. 

I don't care about your watts! Can you ride in a bunch?

So unnecessary!

Seeding should be based on ability and not age. You get a lot of old toppies without any ability. Don't blame the juniors. You can drop racetec/ppa an email if you're not happy with the seeding calculation.

the seeding thing is interesting. How many okes got moved from like G to C_D after the One Tonner?

I reckon it must be causing havoc with all these 2.8W/kg okes mixing it with the 3.5W/kg gang.

Seeding should be based on ability and not age. You get a lot of old toppies without any ability. Don't blame the juniors. You can drop racetec/ppa an email if you're not happy with the seeding calculation.

This is a tricky and difficult one to "fix". People were getting frustrated that it took 2 years to get from Z-A. Now after 2 races people can go from Z-A. The A index is now larger as well. So people that sit on Zwift and have lots of watts have little bike handling etc. 

As with most things, the slower you go the more time you have to save yourself. Hence the thinking behind taking longer and making it harder to get into A. 

Agreed this is not a Jnr problem though, there are some okes with zero race craft in A now. The only way to get better is spend time racing. Tricky to fix without upsetting someone. 

My index is now sitting at 0.02 - This cannot be right, but to make sure people go up groups after an event I think its been softened. Even my parents are now seeded E  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

the seeding thing is interesting. How many okes got moved from like G to C_D after the One Tonner?

I reckon it must be causing havoc with all these 2.8W/kg okes mixing it with the 3.5W/kg gang.

The 2.8 vs 3.5 causes no havoc on climbs, the 2.8 just disappear out the back. 

Its the 4.2w/kg that has raced 2 races and has zero race craft that causes havoc.

Jip,

Accidents happen , have seen far more stupid stuff in/at TDF and by "Pro Riders"

Age got very little to do with ability, younger rider could be racing 7 days a week vs old man racing 2 X per year 

43:31 - okes go down. Savage exit stage right :/

I've watched that video around that time again and again but I can't see any crash. Is it before or after they turn that left hand corner?