2018 PPA CycloSportif

LeoKnight

Not to be disrespectful to anyone that participated, but I don't recall seeing many "big" names on Sunday in A bunch? Think the lack of "racing" might be a function of most of the usual top riders not participating on Sunday? 

All top teams skipped this race.

Probably caused by very early WP champs …

First week in JAN :devil:  :devil:  :cursing:

I can already see how our cape racing season will soon be in winter , as the PPA funride stuff is just that ...FUNRIDE :thumbup:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still wondering how they will get more people to enjoy these races.  I am serious sitting at the fun side of the weekend warrior pack  (not sure what the official ranking is from racing snake down to last man over the line).  But there is a perception that it is mostly serious cyclist that take part in these races and not so many that is using it as an introduction to road cycling

Interesting question. What do you mean by enjoy? Was listening to the club post DC debrief.

Someone complained that it wasn't fun anymore chasing a sub 7 time.

Another guy was saying it wasn't fun going so slow.

What is this "fun" that you seek?

I am still wondering how they will get more people to enjoy these races.  I am serious sitting at the fun side of the weekend warrior pack  (not sure what the official ranking is from racing snake down to last man over the line).  But there is a perception that it is mostly serious cyclist that take part in these races and not so many that is using it as an introduction to road cycling

Maybe the PPA need a rethink on how they pitch these Sportif's. 

There is no racing CSA categories so its not for the uber race snake. 

I must say some of my most fun races this year have been the tight racing at the Sportifs. 

Interesting question. What do you mean by enjoy? Was listening to the club post DC debrief.

I think the biggest question most ask is, is it more fun than a park run? Can the whole family take part? Its a rather intricate place road cycling finds itself in with so many options being available to those active bodies out there now vs the 90's.

Maybe the PPA need a rethink on how they pitch these Sportif's. 

There is no racing CSA categories so its not for the uber race snake. 

I must say some of my most fun races this year have been the tight racing at the Sportifs. 

its the sportifs that put me off. Too many people with zero bike handling skills; hitting brakes too hard. dead wheeling, switching, etc. I reckon 20bpm is just bunch stress and has nothing to do with powering the bike

Ahem, may I suggest one of these nifty valve stickers?

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360114252/3652-8856-thickbox.jpg?w=700&h=700&a=7

Are you referring to the constant noise on the video that is driving me crazy? 

So after 7 years of "crash free" road cycling my luck finally ran out...

Was chilling at the back of A-B bunch when the middle of the bunch went down near the Hermon turn-off.

"No problems that is why I ride at the back of the bunch, will just pass to the right of the crash"

"Oh crap, the bike marshall in front of me is now also stopping, no prob, will just pass him to the right as well"

"Oh f^&* the bike marshall is now also swerving to the right, I might have to pass him in the emergency lane"

"OH F%^& the bike marshall is also swerving into the emergency lane, hope I can make a soft landing in the grass..."

"Oh f$%^ f%^& there is a barrier" 

So that was me, the bike marshall and the barrier connecting at the same time. I came off worst of the 3, at least I saw it coming, I think the bike marshall got a proper fright when out of the blue someone crashed into the right hand side of his bike.

Busted knee, buckled front rim, guess it could have been worse. Somehow limped to the finish line.

Was it you who rode with me on the road between Malmesbury and Paarl? I was in BMC kit.

42.30 ....

That is seriously scary.

Does anyone know who went down in g-i batch? Heard the crash but no news ...

Hi guys,

I was riding right after the cyclist who crashed, been lucky to move in time and catch it on video.

Hope no one got hurt badly 

https://youtu.be/Hfl2uCKzJy4

no1 mention the "worked up" ou ballie in A-B that kakd on the bike marshal after they told him to stay inside the solid line!?

he pointed out that the other riders are also doing it  :cursing:

Really enjoyed yesterday's ride. Totally underestimated it also. Went out way too fast out to Hermon. Paid for it dearly on the way back from Malmesbury to Paarl. Limped with cramps up to the finish on the Windmeul climb. Like one rider told me that suffered with me back, that Windmeul climb is the Fly Now, Pay Later climb.

Edited by Moridin

no1 mention the "worked up" ou ballie in A-B that kakd on the bike marshal after they told him to stay inside the solid line!?

he pointed out that the other riders are also doing it  :cursing:

Never saw that, but I must commend the bike marshals, they were quick and strict with the white line rule, kudos to them!

Hi guys,

I was riding right after the cyclist who crashed, been lucky to move in time and catch it on video.

Hope no one got hurt badly 

pitty that camera wasnt put on the rear of your bike to see the whole crash 

Never saw that, but I must commend the bike marshals, they were quick and strict with the white line rule, kudos to them!

yeah kudos on that, with the big AB group we had 2 bikers with us most of the way. 

think the ou ballie was wearing a very well know aircon kit 

I understand a ride "enjoyment" factor can only be stretch so far between the guys out front vs the guys at the back, be that the setup, support, entertainment area, etc. 

It is targeting the serious racing snakes or the weekender or the people putting their toe in the water.  an it be something for everyone or will it maybe move more and more to a competitive factor for those that want to test them against others and get an official time.

So for myself I am much much closer to the last pages on the racetec results sheets than the front, but I still enjoy the ride, which I could probably do with a club ride, but it does give me a bit of additional comfort of the marshalls, the support, the waterpoints, etc. and using it to gain some seeding places and experience for the CTCT is an additional bonus, but I understand for some the price can cause them to look towards other means of getting the same thing

Do i understand this Cyclosportif thing correctly?

you ride the same course every time, sometime clockwise sometimes anti clock wise?