Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else on this thread doing Maffetone style training and or eating at this moment?

I love it when you speak foreign Frikkie

No idea what that is Sniffie.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Going to be involved in a hackathon at work today and tomorrow, so that's not going to do me any favours with this, but I've made some fairly good progress on this over the month so will try not mess too much with it, and also not beat myself up too badly...

I love it when you speak foreign Frikkie

No idea what that is Sniffie.

I am really sorry, I thought the word Maffetone is common knowledge for anyone with an interest in endurance training. Dr Phil Maffetone is a medical doctor with a lifelong interest in endurance training and optimal nutrition. He is probably one of the worlds most famous coaches of runners, cyclists and tri-athlon athletes. One of his most famous 'patients' is Mark Allen who he coached and trained to 6 Hawaii Kona Ironman wins. That after Mark was on the verge of quitting the sport due to constant overtraining and chronic inflammation.

If anyone is interested in staying healthy and fit, not only now as a young person, but well into the sixties, seventies and beyond I suggest googling the words Dr Phil Maffetone, or 'the Maffetone method'. The most important thing for me about Maffetone is that he teaches you a training method that is sustainable for years and years, and yet you can expect to improve continuously, with very low risk of injury or getting sick. The other thing which is most important for all of us on this thread, is that he teaches you how to teach your body, by means of diet and training to become a fat burning machine, and not a carb burning machine. One of his latest books, The big book of endurance training and racing, is according to me one of his best to buy as it is very thorough and complete. It is also available as an e book.

https://philmaffetone.com/what-is-maf/

Edited by Sniffie

I am really sorry, I thought the word Maffetone is common knowledge for anyone with an interest in endurance training. Dr Phil Maffetone is a medical doctor with a lifelong interest in endurance training and optimal nutrition. He is probably one of the worlds most famous coaches of runners, cyclists and tri-athlon athletes. One of his most famous 'patients' is Mark Allen who he coached and trained to 6 Hawaii Kona Ironman wins. That after Mark was on the verge of quitting the sport due to constant overtraining and chronic inflammation.

If anyone is interested in staying healthy and fit, not only now as a young person, but well into the sixties, seventies and beyond I suggest googling the words Dr Phil Maffetone, or 'the Maffetone method'. The most important thing for me about Maffetone is that he teaches you a training method that is sustainable for years and years, and yet you can expect to improve continuously, with very low risk of injury or getting sick. The other thing which is most important for all of us on this thread, is that he teaches you how to teach your body, by means of diet and training to become a fat burning machine, and not a carb burning machine. One of his latest books, The big book of endurance training and racing, is according to me one of his best to buy as it is very thorough and complete. It is also available as an e book.

https://philmaffetone.com/what-is-maf/

Wow thanks for sharing. I really did not know this. Will definitely have a look [emoji106]

people always ask...so what is the secret...it is simple...what works for YOU

if eating tuna all day...low carb...weigh less...calorie restriction......running 10 km every day...riding 20 hrs a week...what ever it might be...if it works for you...do it.

just dont over do it...there is no rush to loose weight or get fit...the slower it happens... the longer it will take you to put it back on...if you are over 40 take care of yourself and listen to your body...47 years old died while riding his bicycle (heart attack)...it takes many years to destroy your body...dont try fix it over night.

just remember it is all in the mind...take control of your mind and you will win. 

people always ask...so what is the secret...it is simple...what works for YOU

if eating tuna all day...low carb...weigh less...calorie restriction......running 10 km every day...riding 20 hrs a week...what ever it might be...if it works for you...do it.

just dont over do it...there is no rush to loose weight or get fit...the slower it happens... the longer it will take you to put it back on...if you are over 40 take care of yourself and listen to your body...47 years old died while riding his bicycle (heart attack)...it takes many years to destroy your body...dont try fix it over night.

just remember it is all in the mind...take control of your mind and you will win. 

My worry is, how do I maintain the weight once I'm back to 80kg? I think I'll be able to keep the weight low, but I don't want to lose much more than 80.

My worry is, how do I maintain the weight once I'm back to 80kg? I think I'll be able to keep the weight low, but I don't want to lose much more than 80.

I was wondering the same thing today.

Edit: I'm probably going to change my mfp settings ant take in more calories then.

Edited by Pieter1

If you made a lifestyle change to get to 80kg, why change your lifestyle? Just stick to it.

Its easier going from 83kg to 80kg than from 94kg to 80kg

I was wondering the same thing today.

Edit: I'm probably going to change my mfp settings ant take in more calories then.

Once you reach your goal weight, set a max weight of 3-4kg more than your goal weight. Once you fall off the straight and narrow and hit your max weight start working on dropping down again.

If you made a lifestyle change to get to 80kg, why change your lifestyle? Just stick to it.

Its easier going from 83kg to 80kg than from 94kg to 80kg

Or from 99.6 to 80 :P

Someone told me a few years ago that for my height, I should be 75kg, although I'm not too keen on dropping lower than 80kg. I guess I could drop to 75 and see.