Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have just come across this thread...obviously have not been on in ages...and I am fat and unfit and in the worst shape of my life..176cm and currently 97Kg's.

I am doing my 1st spinning class in almost a year.....I need to be 80kg by June - if I don't have a heart attack and die today, this will be my 1st step to regaining some of my former glory!!!

So I have just come across this thread...obviously have not been on in ages...and I am fat and unfit and in the worst shape of my life..176cm and currently 97Kg's.

I am doing my 1st spinning class in almost a year.....I need to be 80kg by June - if I don't have a heart attack and die today, this will be my 1st step to regaining some of my former glory!!!

Hey MTBDoddy

i have added your details in.. welcome, and fear not everything is achievable with the right mind set..

Please see Link, Bookmark it and the first of every month add your weight

The older one gets, the harder it is supposed to lose weight, due to slower metabolism, age related muscle mass loss, reduced hormone function ie testosterone and HGH. At the wrong side of 50 I am very pleasantly suprised to have dropped, on average, 250g per day during January. I know the rate will get slower and slower closer to the target weight, but still what a pleasant suprise. I can attribute it to religiously cutting out all refined carbs, almost all alcohol ( only 2 occasions during Jan, white wine or cognac). I also followed the Maffetone style of low intensity training very strictly, keeping my heart rate in my Maffetone range.

Edited by Sniffie

The older one gets, the harder it is supposed to lose weight, due to slower metabolism, age related muscle mass loss, reduced hormone function ie testosterone and HGH. At the wrong side of 50 I am very pleasantly suprised to have dropped, on average, 250g per day during January. I know the rate will get slower and slower closer to the target weight, but still what a pleasant suprise. I can attribute it to religiously cutting out all refined carbs, almost all alcohol ( only 2 occasions during Jan, white wine or cognac). I also fllowed the Maffetone style of low intensity training very strictly, keeping my heart rate in my Maffetone range.

Are you on a program? How often and how long is your cycle session?

Are you on a program? How often and how long is your cycle session?

With the exception of a few casual rides, very few and far between, I haven't turned a pedal in almost 30 months. So for all practical purposes I am a beginner. I try to do an hour session on the MTB or indoor trainer 3 to 4 times during the week. Saturday 2 hours, sunday hour to hour and a half. Heart rate is kept at 180 minus my age, thus 126 bpm. This is supposed to stimulate the aerobic system. Think capillaries, mitochondrial action, slow twitch muscle development, fat burning instead of carb burning, etc. Edited by Sniffie

With the exception of a few casual rides, very few and far between, I haven't turned a pedal in almost 30 months. So for all practical purposes I am a beginner. I try to do an hour session on the MTB or indoor trainer 3 to 4 times during the week. Saturday 2 hours, sunday hour to hour and a half. Heart rate is kept at 180 minus my age, thus 126 bpm. This is supposed to stimulate the aerobic system. Think capillaries, mitochondrial action, slow twitch muscle development, fat burning instead of carb burning, etc.

Ok we are nearly the same age i will be 52 come August. How long will you be doing this sort of training at the low HR? Is this your first time?

Only 1kg dropped in January, but have only done a couple of rides per week. Starting properly next week with spinning sessions at gym and MTB on weekends (if not away).

Every journey starts with that first step. Then the next.

There is no step that covers 25km in one go i.e. there is no short-cut guys and gals.

So, if you see this as a new start, a new life-style (and NOT diet) then the pounds will fall off as you eat correctly and exercise regularly. Stay off the processed, the sugars as much as possible and the rest will fall into place.

You MUST exercise regularly - best is every day! But here is the clue: no need to spend hours and hours running, cycling etc. Do something every day as we used to "earn" our meals.

Saw this on a UK doccie recently. HIIT session - for the lazy or time-pressured...

Do 3 sets of 20sec at full tilt once a day (a small warm-up before). Done. Check here: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37249021

So everyone, there's just no more excuses.....

I’m having a hungry day. Not sure if it was the chip roll one of the kids gave me this morning or what. But I’m going to go smash a 600g t-bone and salad now.

It'll be two boiled eggs with salad for me tonight. Had my oats for breakfast, cracker bread for lunch, but I fulled up on coffee half the day.

We have pork texan steaks in the freezer that should've been munched long time ago, but saving those for Sunday.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well I went up 1Kg in Jan, but have been hitting the gym pretty hard, will do and inbody test to see what happend where. But for Feb planning on getting back on the bike 3 to 4 times a week

Ok we are nearly the same age i will be 52 come August. How long will you be doing this sort of training at the low HR? Is this your first time?

Ok, long story, I was a decent mtber finishing in the top third of the field at one day and 3 day events like Sani and berg and bush. June 2015 I had a very bad fall off a vandalised bridge on our local trail. I landed straight on the top of my head from a height of nearly 2m. Thanks to my giro helmet I escaped concussion but, according to the neurosurgeon I came very close to breaking my neck. Two herniated discs meant that I was off the bike for 4 months. When I started my journey back I decided to follow a low impact training regime. I did some research and stumbled upon the Maffetone concept of training and nutrition. I started on the Maffetone training and eating plan early 2016. Due to things happening with me and my family during this time (it was the worst drought in 100 years in our part of the freestate, I went nearly bankrupt and lost almost half of my land and all my 25 year savings, my son developed a life threatening depression) I fell into a depression of my own and completely stopped cycling and fell into very bad habits for 2 years. Gained 20 kg and nearly became an alcoholic.

I will be following Maffetone for as long as I keep on losing weight and gaining on my maximum aerobic function test. I suspect it will be at least 6 months. Mountain biking friend of mine started Maffetone 7 months ago. He is or was never overweight, but he started on it because he suffered from overtraining syndrome. His MAF test improved from 140 watt to 230 watt in the 7 month period. He is on a kind of a plateau at the moment, not making significant gains. Dr Maffetone suggests that if this happens you should go on a short period, 3 to 4 weeks, of anaerobic training. This should help you break through the ceiling and start on a new upward curve on the MAF test.

Edited by Sniffie

Started on 101kg 13 January. Weighed in at 95.3kg this morning. Moerse chuffed

Congrats! That is a nice drop for a couple of weeks!