Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

you do know you burn more calories sleeping...so getting up at 4 am to go for a ride and missing out on that extra 2 hours sleep could be depriving you of a thinner waist line ...just saying :)

so who is sleeping in tomorrow?

Haha!

wait...you're serious? Let me laugh even harder!

HAHAHAHAHA!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You really don't.

well, you're invariably lighter in the morning than the night before. most likely through general metabolism. and also not eating/drinking.

but I'm with Myles... you burn more calories doing intervals (regardless of time of day  :mellow: ) than zeezing

Good progress so far this year. Entering for the half 36One was one of the best decisions I have made. I am not trying to lost weight for the race, but it gives me a good time within which to reach some goals, and scares me enough to stay away from eating badly, and more importantly keeps me on the bike and training.

Currently clocking around 200km per week (10hours over 5 days), 150 of which is on the mtb, and 50 on the trainer. I am tired - haven't cycled this much in a long time, but I can feel my fitness picking up even though muscles are fatigued. Eating right is also helping alot, I am 4kg down so far - but still have about 18kg to go. Luckily I have been motivated, and strangely for me not struggling too much to stick to the diet - with the exception of 2 or 3 planned cheat meals this year so far.

The only thing I am sceptical about is my back holding out. Area around L5/S1 disc feels tender, and I am being careful for it not to slip again - doing lots of core workouts and stretching, as well as weekly scheduled trip to the physio. The only downside of being so careful about my back and compensating a bit, is that my neck and upper back muscles get very stiff - but that's why the physio is there. I have a feeling if I lose another 18kg my back issues will sort itself out.

Feels good to be on the way to fitness and good shape again - the last 3/4 years of being fat has not been fun at all!

I'm in for the full.

Aim is to weigh max 80kg before the start

Training 3-4h on the IDT during the week and 6-8 on the MTB on weekends. with 90min cardio & core in the mix

well, you're invariably lighter in the morning than the night before. most likely through general metabolism. and also not eating/drinking.

but I'm with Myles... you burn more calories doing intervals (regardless of time of day  :mellow: ) than zeezing

There's been a heap of investigation as to what actually makes up the weight that we lose. Is it our sweat, or our fat cells screaming, or our pee, poo or other ablutions...

The answer, strangely, was that it was actually the volume of CO2 that our bodies process and expel that was the biggest contributing factor. This means that VO2 is a very important measure, as is the relationship between heart rate and our own bodies' efficiency at various rates of exertion. 

Put simply - you need to eat, drink & breathe in less than you pee, poo & breathe out. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141216212047.htm

Excerpt:

"There is surprising ignorance and confusion about the metabolic process of weight loss," says Professor Andrew Brown, head of the UNSW School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences.

"The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide. It goes into thin air," says the study's lead author, Ruben Meerman, a physicist and Australian TV science presenter.

In their paper, published in the British Medical Journal today, the authors show that losing 10 kilograms of fat requires 29 kilograms of oxygen to be inhaled and that this metabolic process produces 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 kilograms of water.

Mr Meerman became interested in the biochemistry of weight loss through personal experience.

"I lost 15 kilograms in 2013 and simply wanted to know where those kilograms were going. After a self-directed, crash course in biochemistry, I stumbled onto this amazing result," he says.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

you do know you burn more calories sleeping...so getting up at 4 am to go for a ride and missing out on that extra 2 hours sleep could be depriving you of a thinner waist line ...just saying :)

so who is sleeping in tomorrow?

.ea4fbb5a1824f11575b2dd2cbb379c29.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Free range

Those are free range medium boiled butt nuggets we had with dinner last night.

528142775b94b63d0a6ddba59779b9d2.jpg

And those sauces at the top are your downfall: ketchup/maggi...all full of sugar. Leave it off. Wean yourself off sugar as much as possible. It's scary to see the labels and how much sugar  ALL producers put into their foods - simple yet effective way to make us humans "crave" their food.

Once you eat as "clean" as possible....you notice how lekka natural food actually tastes and don't need all that sugar, creams etc. to enjoy a meal. And you feel fuller quicker. Try eat "mindfully" (without distraction) and notice how your eating accelerates when there is sugar content in the food - you eat quicker and don't feel full. Hence: eating more and big portions.

Your plate looks perfect - don't sabotage your efforts by adding sugar and other stuff you can't read or understand (on the label). Lastly, I read a lot about the term "diet" on this thread. Not sure if for some it refers to the same here: BUT it must just be a life-style....not "hey i'm on this diet for a few months to lose weight" - that will always be a temp solution, locking you in to the yo-yo effect.

my 2c....

And those sauces at the top are your downfall: ketchup/maggi...all full of sugar. Leave it off. Wean yourself off sugar as much as possible. It's scary to see the labels and how much sugar ALL producers put into their foods - simple yet effective way to make us humans "crave" their food.

Once you eat as "clean" as possible....you notice how lekka natural food actually tastes and don't need all that sugar, creams etc. to enjoy a meal. And you feel fuller quicker. Try eat "mindfully" (without distraction) and notice how your eating accelerates when there is sugar content in the food - you eat quicker and don't feel full. Hence: eating more and big portions.

Your plate looks perfect - don't sabotage your efforts by adding sugar and other stuff you can't read or understand (on the label). Lastly, I read a lot about the term "diet" on this thread. Not sure if for some it refers to the same here: BUT it must just be a life-style....not "hey i'm on this diet for a few months to lose weight" - that will always be a temp solution, locking you in to the yo-yo effect.

my 2c....

Yeah when I was on my weight loss mission in 2015, I had no sauces on my food. When it came to chicken pieces, I even ate the chicken without the skin. I'm "spoiling" myself a bit this time around.

I don't go overboard with sauce, just a small dab here and there.

Yeah when I was on my weight loss mission in 2015, I had no sauces on my food. When it came to chicken pieces, I even ate the chicken without the skin. I'm "spoiling" myself a bit this time around.

I don't go overboard with sauce, just a small dab here and there.

if you use herbs and spices...you never need the sugar loaded sauces. haven't bought a sauce in over a year.. don't miss them either.. 

if you use herbs and spices...you never need the sugar loaded sauces. haven't bought a sauce in over a year.. don't miss them either..

I see what you're saying about the sugar in the sauces, but as I said I'm "spoiling" myself a bit this time around. I do cook with herbs and spices, but with quitting smoking recently, I feel I need those little dabs of sauce on my food. I don't eat chocolate, and I'm not really having a once a week cheat meal this time.

Dude. That's a huge loss. 4.4kg in 2 1/2 weeks!? That's motoring

Jip. That is a lot actually. Keep it up

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm in for the full.

Aim is to weigh max 80kg before the start

Training 3-4h on the IDT during the week and 6-8 on the MTB on weekends. with 90min cardio & core in the mix

Kudos, that is a big challenge ylu are taking on!!