Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

I've been commuting again for about a month now... I was going to start with once a week but after that one time I realised how badly I've missed it and how addictive it is :)

So since that one time I've been commuting daily again :)

My mind is still struggling to take it easier and not 'race' myself the whole time... and commuting on a 29'er is 1-2 km/hr faster then my 26'er. AVG'ed 29.8 going home the one time!

I do take safer roads, easier between cars and jump on pavements where it makes sense and communicate with cars as much as possible... and when there isn't enough space I ride in the middle as I've been hit 2 x before on the elbow by a mirror which could have smacked me into the pavement, but luckily I managed to control it! Cars didn't mean it but made a judgement error and apologised.

My contract wasn't extended at Liberty (Braamfontein) so I'm starting at MTN soon (14th Avenue) so my 14 km will become 5 km - I should have rejected it :) I may even take the car as it's against traffic in any case.

Be safe out there! Minimize the risks at all times!

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been commuting again for about a month now... I was going to start with once a week but after that one time I realised how badly I've missed it and how addictive it is :)

My mind is still struggling to take it easier and not 'race' myself the whole time... and commuting on a 29'er is 1-2 km/hr faster then my 26'er. AVG'ed 29.8 going home the one time!

I do take safer roads, easier between cars and jump on pavements where it makes sense and communicate with cars as much as possible... and when there isn't enough space I ride in the middle as I've been hit 2 x before on the elbow by a mirror which could have smacked me into the pavement, but luckily I managed to control it! Cars didn't mean it but made a judgement error and apologised.

My contract wasn't extended at Liberty (Braamfontein) so I'm starting at MTN soon (14th Avenue) so my 14 km will become 5 km - I should have rejected it :) I may even take the car as it's against traffic in any case.

There is this little 5 km stretch that always has a bit of traffic on my route and although the road is wide and the speed limit is 50, the locals seem to just be from another planet and funny enough there has been a few times times that I thought that is getting too close for comfort.  So recently found a detour that is about 2 km longer (think I posted about this earlier) but is just so much more relaxed.

I totally dropped the ball this last two weeks with commuting. Was pushing through the bad weather before since I was using it as skelm training for klipberg enduro (it worked btw). Now. Rain. Wind. Sub 6degree morning temps. Usually I'd say "challenge accepted"... But now... Bleh.

Anyone else feel the drop in motivation. Or is it time to have my cup of cement again?

Oh ja. Bronchitis started yesterday to make sure I stay off the bike.

The god of laziness has spoken.

Bud, this is the best news ever. So happy for you. Congrats man. and I'm not talking about the job story!

I totally dropped the ball this last two weeks with commuting. Was pushing through the bad weather before since I was using it as skelm training for klipberg enduro (it worked btw). Now. Rain. Wind. Sub 6degree morning temps. Usually I'd say "challenge accepted"... But now... Bleh.

Anyone else feel the drop in motivation. Or is it time to have my cup of cement again?

Oh ja. Bronchitis started yesterday to make sure I stay off the bike.

The god of laziness has spoken.

In many times the drop in motivation is your body talking to you.  Get well first.  You still have your summer comming.

So I did my first commute to the "new" job today.

When I worked in Kempton Park Saturdays was my commute day as its the only day I dont drop the kids off at school before work. It wasnt a long commute, worked out to about 25 km there and back.

December I moved to a new company in Bedford View, never got around to commuting, then it got cold, I got unfit as I havent been on the bike since April.

At the end of July I cleaned off and serviced the bike and the IDT with a plan to ride on the IDT during the week, that did not happen. 

During the last 2 weeks I have entered the 947 and CTCT, so decided its now time to get back in the saddle.

16.6km this morning, not a great distance by any stretch of the imagination, but with my current fitness levels, the North-South breeze blowing today and me under estimating the "hills" to the office it was a bit of a slog.

The ride home was not pretty, that climb from the bottom of Edenvale up to Barbara rd is not kind to unfit weak legs and untrained lungs.

The ride home was not pretty, that climb from the bottom of Edenvale up to Barbara rd is not kind to unfit weak legs and untrained lungs.

Slowly, slowly - your fitness will come back. The main thing is you've started and that is often the most difficult step. You've proved that you can do it, so now all you need to do is... keep doing it.

So I did my first commute to the "new" job today.

When I worked in Kempton Park Saturdays was my commute day as its the only day I dont drop the kids off at school before work. It wasnt a long commute, worked out to about 25 km there and back.

December I moved to a new company in Bedford View, never got around to commuting, then it got cold, I got unfit as I havent been on the bike since April.

At the end of July I cleaned off and serviced the bike and the IDT with a plan to ride on the IDT during the week, that did not happen. 

During the last 2 weeks I have entered the 947 and CTCT, so decided its now time to get back in the saddle.

16.6km this morning, not a great distance by any stretch of the imagination, but with my current fitness levels, the North-South breeze blowing today and me under estimating the "hills" to the office it was a bit of a slog.

Welcome back in commuters land ;)  Never under estimate the value of a short commute.  I did for years only about 10 km one way.  But that turned out to be 10 lm TT and the LSD rides was on weekends.  And not to mention how much that 16 km cost you by car.

Welcome back in commuters land ;)  Never under estimate the value of a short commute.  I did for years only about 10 km one way.  But that turned out to be 10 lm TT and the LSD rides was on weekends.  And not to mention how much that 16 km cost you by car.

Thanks,

My weekdays are time limited as I only get home after 6, so any training during the week needs to be on the dreaded IDT, weekends are the only time and if I dont commute on the saturday then I'm only left with the Sunday to train. I saw last year when I was doing satruday commutes to kempton how my fitness increased, so I'll keep it up.

Its really only the first couple of rides that are a problem.

Cost of commuting by car is not much for me, I work at a dealership so drive a company car with company fuel etc.

Thanks,

My weekdays are time limited as I only get home after 6, so any training during the week needs to be on the dreaded IDT, weekends are the only time and if I dont commute on the saturday then I'm only left with the Sunday to train. I saw last year when I was doing satruday commutes to kempton how my fitness increased, so I'll keep it up.

Its really only the first couple of rides that are a problem.

Cost of commuting by car is not much for me, I work at a dealership so drive a company car with company fuel etc.

As soon as your fitness lifts commuting by bike should not take you too much longer than commuting by car.  :)

flippit ... another two rides not logged on Endo ... so a total of 5 now since I decided to start counting.

Manage to grab a KOM on my way to work this morning, so I am happy. Made the suffering worth it.

Rain to be expected tomorrow the whole day, so I am out and unfortunately do not have an indoor trainer/rollers just to spin the legs.

Hopefully Thursday there will be a break for a ride.

Been talking to one of my cycling buddies to build up an SS MTB for my winter commutes and I definitely love the idea! Then I can use that bike for all of the rainy days without worrying that my road bike gets dirty and not to mention it is quite scary riding with it in the rain.

Luckily the weather is turning now, so I have a long time to save up for the build.

EDIT: Made the rookie mistake of forgetting my underwear at home today...

Won't lie, the cycle home yesterday afternoon was not pleasant.

Pissing rain and head wind all the way. And i was cold. 

But managed to get home safely and this morning wasn't so bad, just some drizzle.

But apparently going to continue to rain this week in the Cape so should be interesting to say the least.

Bats, you better stop commuting beginning of November to give us a chance. I did a few sums and it is going to be tough to beat you if you commute beyond beginning of November.  :whistling:

But managed to get home safely and this morning wasn't so bad, just some drizzle.

But apparently going to continue to rain this week in the Cape so should be interesting to say the least.

Bats, you better stop commuting beginning of November to give us a chance. I did a few sums and it is going to be tough to beat you if you commute beyond beginning of November.  :whistling:

Let me give you some hope.  Fighting off some cold or allergic reaction so taking strain at the moment. Commuted on Monday, yesterday it poured so decided not to take on cold weather and rain in my current condition.  Commuted today but tommorow and Friday might be a problem.

Bats, you better stop commuting beginning of November to give us a chance. I did a few sums and it is going to be tough to beat you if you commute beyond beginning of November. :whistling:

Got Home yesterday just as drizzle started. Massive tailwind, 43km/h average until got caught in traffic.

This morning was moist

Archived