Triathlon clothing, Full Ironman in particular

LouisS

I’m new to triathlon’s and if all goes well i’ll be dong the Full Ironman in April.

Just a question on clothing. Have done a few standard distances in a triathlon short and shirt.

If i’m not worried to lose a few minutes in transition, will it be frowned upon if i do my swim in a speedo and wetsuit, change to a proper cycling bib and cycling short for the cycling leg and change into a running short and shirt for the running leg?

Will use a towel wrapped around me to change?

Your thoughts wh been there and done it?

Thanks in advance!

They have tents for changing, its completely allowed. It however is not advised, your going to be tired and changing takes lot longer than you think. 

I wore a tri suit and just put cycle bib over that for the cycle its fast and effective.

For run ditch bib and swap shirts.

I did do whole changing thing for first one it is a major pain.

I’m new to triathlon’s and if all goes well i’ll be dong the Full Ironman in April.

Just a question on clothing. Have done a few standard distances in a triathlon short and shirt.

If i’m not worried to lose a few minutes in transition, will it be frowned upon if i do my swim in a speedo and wetsuit, change to a proper cycling bib and cycling short for the cycling leg and change into a running short and shirt for the running leg?

Will use a towel wrapped around me to change?

Your thoughts wh been there and done it?

Thanks in advance!

IM you have to change in the tents and your kit has to be kept in the bag they provide and hung up at a dedicated rack ( not with your bike) and you can’t change at your bike.

Cycling shorts or bib under your wetsuit, no speedo unless you want ride in speedo ( so 1990’s). Wet cycling shorts are not an issue so no need to wear speedo.

Changing to running clothes is optional, it’s a good idea to freshen up, Vaseline and sun cream up during the last transition

IM you have to change in the tents and your kit has to be kept in the bag they provide and hung up at a dedicated rack ( not with your bike) and you can’t change at your bike.

Cycling shorts or bib under your wetsuit, no speedo unless you want ride in speedo ( so 1990’s). Wet cycling shorts are not an issue so no need to wear speedo.

Changing to running clothes is optional, it’s a good idea to freshen up, Vaseline and sun cream up during the last transition

Thanks! Never thought of wearing cycling bib under wetsuit.

I have only completed th the full IM in clothing specific to the discipline. Thus a fulll cycle bib and shirt for the cycle and proper running kit for the run. I ain’t going to win so the few minutes lost due to changing matters not in the scheme of things an may be beneficial as it gives me time to relax a bit, eat properly and recollect my thoughts, chat to fellow competitors an chill. Speedo under wetsuit or nothing under wetsuit too. There are changing tents for each gender so worry not. Last 2 years I even had a massage in T2 while eating. Nothing like a massage before the marathon.

Just of course, one year the volunteers in the male tent included some young lasses and well the water was cold you understand in pe that year, prolly made for great mirth on their social media pages. But modesty kind f goes outta the window in endurance events, I seen gals pee on the side of the road in running events etc..

Don’t worry about it, IM is a long day out, a lil bit of comfort goes a long way so if it suits you to spend a few extra minutes doing a full change just do it.

And, if you do intend using a tri suit do yourself a big big favour and actually wear it for some long distance training, nothing like lovely chafing on the day of IM to make your day.

And, most importantly, enjoy every bloody minute of it.

I have only completed th the full IM in clothing specific to the discipline. Thus a fulll cycle bib and shirt for the cycle and proper running kit for the run. I ain’t going to win so the few minutes lost due to changing matters not in the scheme of things an may be beneficial as it gives me time to relax a bit, eat properly and recollect my thoughts, chat to fellow competitors an chill. Speedo under wetsuit or nothing under wetsuit too. There are changing tents for each gender so worry not. Last 2 years I even had a massage in T2 while eating. Nothing like a massage before the marathon.

Just of course, one year the volunteers in the male tent included some young lasses and well the water was cold you understand in pe that year, prolly made for great mirth on their social media pages. But modesty kind f goes outta the window in endurance events, I seen gals pee on the side of the road in running events etc..

Don’t worry about it, IM is a long day out, a lil bit of comfort goes a long way so if it suits you to spend a few extra minutes doing a full change just do it.

And, if you do intend using a tri suit do yourself a big big favour and actually wear it for some long distance training, nothing like lovely chafing on the day of IM to make your day.

And, most importantly, enjoy every bloody minute of it.

Hey there maybe consider competing for a charity like the IM Smile foundation team. You get given kit and you get great support there in PE when you wear it. The quality was pretty good. Think they use the brand enjoy.

I've done 2 so far and with both I changed into dry, discipline specific clothing at every transition, but know that you're transitions are going to be ~10min each.  If you're just aiming for a finish, then it's not a big deal and you should be comfortable throughout.

However, if i'd have to do it again i'd get a one piece tri-suit.  IMPORTANT is to not get this 2 weeks before the race.  Use it in training for the long rides and brick sessions so that you are sure its comfortable and that you know where it chafes so that you can apply some chafe cream (and sun screen) on the right spots...

Nothing as bad as bleeding nipples, chafing like a mofo between your legs etc. with 3 more hours to the finish.

I did my first 70.3 with a full towel-down and complete change of clothes per leg. I laugh now when I look back and see almost 30 mins of time in transition.

To be honest though a tri-suit is almost more comfortable than all the specific outfits. It blows my mind how great they are. Funds allowing I'd definitely suggest you try it out. 

If nothing else a one-piece makes you feel fast..

I did my first 70.3 with a full towel-down and complete change of clothes per leg. I laugh now when I look back and see almost 30 mins of time in transition.

To be honest though a tri-suit is almost more comfortable than all the specific outfits. It blows my mind how great they are. Funds allowing I'd definitely suggest you try it out. 

If nothing else a one-piece makes you feel fast..

until you need to take a crap in a hurry.......

until you need to take a crap in a hurry.......

Now, as a female, a lot of the good one piece tri suits come with a built in bra. Imagine trying to get out of THAT in a rush...  :eek:

Archived