Has Garmin lost its edge?

Zucs

The fact that Garmin offers an out-of-warranty exchange/upgrade for less than half the retail price of the replacement device is the whole reason why I dropped everything else and just went with Garmin. I paid a measly R1750 or something for a brand new Edge 520 from NavWorld. Now I've got the Fenix 5 and I'm going to be giggling like a little girl 3 years down the line when it's no longer lekker and I get to trade it in for a Fenix 7 (or whatever they have at that point) plus a few randelas.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay the 2k win win all round, you get anew unit for a fraction of the RRP Garmin retains a customer albeit without the 300% profitbmargin but at least covering their manufacturing costs.

You had the use for a year, for R2000 for a new unit it is a no brainer.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a girl and ill say that its not as new as you might think. Thats why its only R2000.

I honestly feel for the OP, R6500 for 12 months of use would leave a bitter taste in my mouth too.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a girl and ill say that its not as new as you might think. Thats why its only R2000

So it’s probably a refurbished unit that also miraculously stopped working at 12 months and 8 days? Win win for Garmin then..????

Garmin lost its Edge, but we managed to track it down!

qRffrCI.jpg

(apologies to https://www.dcrainmaker.com/)

And make no mistake, these warranty periods are costed into the initial retail prices.

Good point made.  They model everything in terms of probable longevity of the products, every unit sold is done so with a probabilistic contingent liability.  Imagine from their perspective: Profit = Revenue - Costs - Returns/Warranty Replacement.  All companies draw that line somewhere, it comes down to cost vs client retention.

I for one think that the R2000 replacement cost is an excellent compromise.  If you want to get an outcome that feels like more of a win, ask them to replace with the 935 instead.  They should offer you a good deal.  Two of my mates have them (one post a faulty 735) and are very happy thus far.  It's a high end watch, it SHOULD have a proper barometric altimeter (735 doesn't, 935 does).  Not to mention a 935 battery will actually last long enough for the average schmoe like me to finish an Ironman.

Warranty is a warranty is a warranty, so GARMIN is 100% correct.

If I was the OP I would definitely feel bitter about the product and the brand.

I dont think any of us buy anything with the idea that its only supposed to work for only the warranty period.

I had a Garmin 800, buttons gave issues last year and I upgrade to a 820 for R2k or something.

Havent had any issues and very happy with Garmin and the product.

If I was the OP though...I dont think I would go for a Garmin again.

Hmmm, NO!

Apple - 1 year

https://store.apple.com/Catalog/Images/worldwidewarranty.html

Samsung - 1year

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/SM-R760NDAAXAR

Sony - 1year

https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/support-sony-professional-solutions-europe

Perhaps check facts before giving an opinion.

With cellphones, some of the local carriers would include an extended warranty for devices in their packages that they take responsibility for

Apple says there's a worldwide 1 year warranty, but in Europe it's 2 years because European law requires two years.  They're not allowed to sell an extended warranty since it's already extended.  Apple just doesn't want you to know.

(same for Samsung, Sony, Garmin and everyone else.)

Dunno what the South African consumer protection laws say.

Presumably it is the exception, rather than the norm, for these things to fail straight out of warranty, otherwise they would not be in business.

I suppose that that doesn’t help the OP, but he seems to be the exception.

Of course, there may well be another reason why Garmin wouldn’t budge. There may have been evidence of physical damage or misuse.

Under the CPA you are only protected for six months. But, they also say that a product must be durable for a reasonable period of time. So according to Garmin a reasonable time for a R6500 watch to be functional is 12months.

The CPA does however deal with every case on merit, regardless of warranties.

Warranty is a warranty is a warranty, so GARMIN is 100% correct.

If I was the OP I would definitely feel bitter about the product and the brand.

I dont think any of us buy anything with the idea that its only supposed to work for only the warranty period.

I had a Garmin 800, buttons gave issues last year and I upgrade to a 820 for R2k or something.

Havent had any issues and very happy with Garmin and the product.

If I was the OP though...I dont think I would go for a Garmin again.

And this is a "not pro Garmin" post that I can agree with.

If the OP is aggrieved, dont buy Garmin again, I could understand why he wouldn't, but I cant agree with trying to bully somebody into getting your way, when Garmin are within their rights.

What if your Garmin broke on month 11 or a 12 month warranty and Garmin said, "nooit sorry bru, its so close to the 12 month warranty period expiration that we are not going to replace it" Would bending the rules be ok then?

The business model Garmin implements, by which the OP was offered a replacement unit for R2k is probably the cost Garmin is willing the attribute to keep a customer in their ecosystem. It is a well worked out price. That, together with the service they supply makes them very attractive and is at least in part, the reason they are so ubiquitous.

On the other hand, the quality/longevity of their products may not be the best. I, myself, bought a new Edge 520 in Feb last year, which only lasted 7 months before the elevation and temperature went completely ape. Replaced with a "core replacement unit" no problem, although the warranty will expire at the anniversary of the original unit.

My cell phone goes with me everywhere the 520 goes, and it is a 4-year old Samsung - never had a hiccup yet. So, for a simple (yes it is these days) electronic device to have such a short lifespan, is, in my eyes, a quality issue on the part of Garmin.

Under the CPA you are only protected for six months. But, they also say that a product must be durable for a reasonable period of time. So according to Garmin a reasonable time for a R6500 watch to be functional is 12months.

The CPA does however deal with every case on merit, regardless of warranties.

Won't somebody please do us all a favour and go chat to a lawyer regarding taking Garmin on with regards to the CPA in this case? I for one would be very interested to hear if any lawyer would think you have the slightest chance of success.

Nobody contests that it is a bad reflection on a brand and product that the unit failed in month 13. But you cannot demand a new unit from them because of this.

Four years on, I'm still waiting for my 310XT to "call it a day", so I can get an upgrade for only R2k. The thing just won't break/stop working. Maybe I should push a button while washing my bike - or continue using it as it was intended for - display some basic info while training/riding:

• Lap time
  • Lap power
  • Lap cadence
  • Power zone
Nothing else matters, does it?

My 2nd hand Edge 705 is still working 7 years after I bought it from a hubber.

Edited by I FLY

Won't somebody please do us all a favour and go chat to a lawyer regarding taking Garmin on with regards to the CPA in this case? I for one would be very interested to hear if any lawyer would think you have the slightest chance of success.

Nobody contests that it is a bad reflection on a brand and product that the unit failed in month 13. But you cannot demand a new unit from them because of this.

Nobody demanded anything. Just related to an earlier CPA question.

Such fun.

Nobody demanded anything. Just related to an earlier CPA question.

Such fun.

Cool.

Your post was just in the body of the conversation, didn't refer to a specific post, thus my confusion that you wanted to enact the CPA on the situation of the OP. Good to hear that is not the case.