Do you think you are tough?

Vetseun

I wish I had pictures of my feet after EA 2016.

They were so swollen it took 10 days for any of my toes to touch the ground. The last 30 hours of the race was agony. I digested more myprodol than food. Blisters on blisters popped, ripped and then more. 

We finished on the Friday after about 120 hours of racing.

There was NO way anyone was going to get me off the course.No way. 

I ask those of you who say it is stupid, how many times have you conquered a physical goal that is not achievable to most mere mortals? I'm not talking Iron Man which is piss easy. I'm talking a 100 mile running race, an expedition race, a mile swim in 1 degree water in a speedo?

I know a heap of cyclists who pull out of races because they feel off, have a minor mechanical, get too many punctures etc... guys pulling out of Epic with really minor issues. 

I think guys are a bit too quick to pull the plug. Showing some real mongrel is sometimes way more self gratifying than 'living to fight another day'.

Blisters on you thumbs from the PS4 controller?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha.....gotto laugh here. There is no wrong or right here. Your decision is exactly that - your own decision. K's decision is her's - nobody has all the facts of each and every personal journey. Why this need to always want to press one's own attitudes on others?

Do what you feel is right - and deal with any possible consequences. Either way, it's your personal choice based on a multitude of you r OWN fatcs.

Peace out

This is actually lekker Friday Fight Club material.

Should K have shown incredible guts and determination by completing her race in that condition?

Should K have pulled the plug on her race, given her condition?

Nah, much more brag worthy to say you ran the soles off your feet while trying to make the cut!

Goeie genugtig dit moes moer seer wees so twee dae later! 

The Munga trail was way harder than the organisers thought. they got their predicted winning time out by something silly like 40%. can't beleieve they didn't just give all finishers a medal!

Since this is friday. here's an excerpt from her race report for the experts to digest.

Things that I would do differently:

• I would pack (more of) the following:Immodium, socks, tea bags, soup, protein eg salami, biltong, nuts (not bars)
  • I would run more and walk less on day 1 and 2 rather than trying to be too conservative (this would reduce time on feet and possibly delay onset of abscess/blisters)
  • I would not run in brand new running shoes.

Blisters on you thumbs from the PS4 controller?

HA! EA sports, it's in the game!

Expedition Africa..... anyway, I'm a PC gamer. Ain't nobody got time for that aim assist nonsense on Battlefield!

I'm sure her feet weren't the only thing hurting. 

When you accept entry to The Munga there is already a mental preparedness. The thought of not making cut-off must have been more painful!  

Weldone!!! 

I read an article some time back about the people who run ultra trail runs in the US. Two things stuck with me:

40%

Soft-tissue damage

In the first instance the percentage relates to what most people are prepared to endure in terms of discomfort/pain.  Most of us will bail by the time discomfort/pain reaches 40% of what can be endured. We actually don't have any idea of what we're capable of enduring.

In the second instance, this quaint term describes the injuries that you're likely to incur when you venture past the 40% threshhold. In the main, they aren't going to kill you but it will get ugly like the opening photo proves.

Mad - seen lots of those..... mostly created by running in jump boots.....

Still - one tough girl.

Doc, where would this rate in terms of pain?

Doc, where would this rate in terms of pain?

When I spray it with surgical spirits... quite high (hmofg on the pain scale).... but short lived - when it's run on - not too bad - depends on how much movement is actually happening in the shoe and if the blister has popped or not.

Never saw anybody give up jump course in the last 2 weeks of pt course because of that - despite my best efforts to convince them (see surgical spirits above) - more a question of motivation than pain - women are generally pretty good with managing lowish grades of pain - better on average than most men. (pt course privates are not average men)