Taxis

nathrix

This is where I scratch my head.

A train is late, it gets burned down, bus fair goes up, burn bus, taxi kill hundreds of people, nothing.

You make a good point there.

Any theories as to why though?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Minibus taxi exist (for the most part) because historically, specific ethnic groups were forced to live outside the city, and not provided any form of public transport infrastructure. As they were also denied a proper education or job opportunities, they couldn't afford to buy their own cars needed to commute back into town to be able to mow lawns or wash dishes of be a nanny, or whatever other menial task their limited opportunities afforded them. So through that, taxis became a part of the system. The people that ride them don't really have a choice, I'm sure they'd love to drive, or catch a roadworthy bus or train into work. 

The issue now is, when the local govt does try to do the right thing like adding new MyCity bus routes to previously unserviced (poor) areas for instance, the taxi owners (who would stand to lose their livelihood) fight back and make life very difficult for anyone who participates in a competing scheme. Passengers, drivers, anyone. 

They are a problem. In my experience they are the biggest threat on the road due to the quality of the vehicles, the number of people at risk and crazy chances that the drivers take - who admittedly are often "slaves" to very demanding taxi owners. (side note: while they are the worst, they are followed closely on my s**t list by large dudes in large bakkies with a large sense of entitlement).

I don't know what the solution is, but if there is a fight to be had, it must happen at a local Government level and not on the roads by people like you or I. Blocking taxis off or pulling other crazy stunts in your car wont help, it only makes the road less safe for everyone. Just let them in, they are taking 20 people to work, compared to most cars which only have 1 or 2 people in them. In many countries, there are dedicated car-pool lanes and dedicated bus lanes (which we do have here) that give people-carriers a level of privilege simply because they are doing a service and carry far more people to work than you or I. If it makes it easier, then see it that way. Allow them a certain level of privilege and just let me through. If you want to fight, petition, protest, speak out...but please don't fight on the road. I'm tired of worrying every time my significant other has to drive in to cape town. 

You make a good point there.

Any theories as to why though?

Hmmm I think it has to do with direct confrontation.

When you protest and burn the governments stuff, there is not a direct conformation. Its also not theirs, so nobody is going to defend it with much passion. The government is a group of people not single entities that you deal with everyday. There is also less consequence. I think taxi's are also considered as "us" where government is considered a "them". The government is also being g blamed for the taxis, lack of crack downs, regulation etc....

But in summary, cowardice and despair, is probably the two word answer that I would shoot for.

Minibus taxi exist (for the most part) because historically, specific ethnic groups were forced to live outside the city, and not provided any form of public transport infrastructure. As they were also denied a proper education or job opportunities, they couldn't afford to buy their own cars needed to commute back into town to be able to mow lawns or wash dishes of be a nanny, or whatever other menial task their limited opportunities afforded them. So through that, taxis became a part of the system. The people that ride them don't really have a choice, I'm sure they'd love to drive, or catch a roadworthy bus or train into work. 

The issue now is, when the local govt does try to do the right thing like adding new MyCity bus routes to previously unserviced (poor) areas for instance, the taxi owners (who would stand to lose their livelihood) fight back and make life very difficult for anyone who participates in a competing scheme. Passengers, drivers, anyone. 

They are a problem. In my experience they are the biggest threat on the road due to the quality of the vehicles, the number of people at risk and crazy chances that the drivers take - who admittedly are often "slaves" to very demanding taxi owners. (side note: while they are the worst, they are followed closely on my s**t list by large dudes in large bakkies with a large sense of entitlement).

I don't know what the solution is, but if there is a fight to be had, it must happen at a local Government level and not on the roads by people like you or I. Blocking taxis off or pulling other crazy stunts in your car wont help, it only makes the road less safe for everyone. Just let them in, they are taking 20 people to work, compared to most cars which only have 1 or 2 people in them. In many countries, there are dedicated car-pool lanes and dedicated bus lanes (which we do have here) that give people-carriers a level of privilege simply because they are doing a service and carry far more people to work than you or I. If it makes it easier, then see it that way. Allow them a certain level of privilege and just let me through. If you want to fight, petition, protest, speak out...but please don't fight on the road. I'm tired of worrying every time my significant other has to drive in to cape town. 

I echo this sentiment. It is a complex situation and the animal that is the taxi industry has grown to an unmanageable proportion.

I stick to the rules of the road and make sure I abide by the law. For my own sanity I do not shout or scream at taxi's or other drivers anymore. It is a no win. There is such a degree of entitlement on the road that losing your cool or not letting a taxi in is like arguing with a drunk person. No win.

I am the car that lets the taxi in, in the front. If I do not do that, he will force in and maybe endanger your life in the car behind me. You never know.

What I do find interesting is the abuse I get when I drive on the M1/N1 at 120 km/h in the right hand lane. Apparently 120 is too slow? Also amazed at drivers and their cell phone usage while driving. Crazy.

I echo this sentiment. It is a complex situation and the animal that is the taxi industry has grown to an unmanageable proportion.

I stick to the rules of the road and make sure I abide by the law. For my own sanity I do not shout or scream at taxi's or other drivers anymore. It is a no win. There is such a degree of entitlement on the road that losing your cool or not letting a taxi in is like arguing with a drunk person. No win.

I am the car that lets the taxi in, in the front. If I do not do that, he will force in and maybe endanger your life in the car behind me. You never know.

What I do find interesting is the abuse I get when I drive on the M1/N1 at 120 km/h in the right hand lane. Apparently 120 is too slow? Also amazed at drivers and their cell phone usage while driving. Crazy.

Blocking speeders in the right hand lane is very similar to blocking taxi who are breaking the law.

Edited by Patchelicious

Blocking speeders in right hand lane is very similar to blocking taxi who are breaking the law.

True that, as I said it remains complex and everyone has a point of view that they believe to be correct (for them).

To keep my sanity I am also not in the "speed" lane anymore. I am the gap in the far left lane :blush:

Look, if hooting/shouting/swearing was going to make a difference to the miscreant's future behaviour, I'd be at the front hooting/shouting/swearing. But I learned that it doesn't. So Lighthouse is spot-on... just go with it. elevated blood-pressure is so passe'.... 

True that, as I said it remains complex and everyone has a point of view that they believe to be correct (for them).

To keep my sanity I am also not in the "speed" lane anymore. I am the gap in the far left lane :blush:

Yup, we all have our ways to cope with the pressures and frustrations.

Look, if hooting/shouting/swearing was going to make a difference to the miscreant's future behaviour, I'd be at the front hooting/shouting/swearing. But I learned that it doesn't. So Lighthouse is spot-on... just go with it. elevated blood-pressure is so passe'.... 

Letting them in probably also wont change their future behaviour. So if blocking a taxi makes some  guy feel like he is contributing a bit to society and it will make his day go better, why not just let him?

Every month or so, the Taxi association blockades Madiba street in Pretoria and parades down to the Munitoria buildings, demanding that they get exempted from paying traffic fines.  It is kinda quaint as each time the male choir of singers and dancers gets smaller and smaller.....

• 7 months later...

ChUkKy that you?

Legend! Wish more people would stand up against the taxi mafia.

We need more people like this to enforce the law.

I'd love to buy this man a beer.