shaper

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one else bought a Canyon yet? 

1000's of kms ago. Happy chappy here

The process is simple and painfree. SARS will drill you on duties if shipping to SA, but go into it with your eyes open.

Use their sizing app-jobbie - works a treat.

Thanks, I have one of my own and the reason I ask is that Im needing to box and ship it and would love to use an original Canyon box with all the padding that comes with it. You didn't keep your box perhaps? 

1000's of kms ago. Happy chappy here

The process is simple and painfree. SARS will drill you on duties if shipping to SA, but go into it with your eyes open.

Use their sizing app-jobbie - works a treat.

Thanks, I have one of my own and the reason I ask is that Im needing to box and ship it and would love to use an original Canyon box with all the padding that comes with it. You didn't keep your box perhaps? 

No, sorry. I'll be hanging onto the box.

No, sorry. I'll be hanging onto the box.

No stress! In hindsight I should have hung onto mine but didn't have the space. 

Just wrap the bike with pool noodles (cut one side and enclose the bike frame parts inside the noodle) or use hot water pipe insulation.

Had multiple issues with this build (thanks SAPO strike), but now that it's complete, really loving it.

Seatpost looks like it has a crack. ;)

Stunning bike.

What wheels are those.?

Good, budget friendly disc brake wheels are still hard to find locally.

Had multiple issues with this build (thanks SAPO strike), but now that it's complete, really loving it.

Nice bike.

Cables not hidden?

Seatpost looks like it has a crack. ;)

Stunning bike.

What wheels are those.?

Good, budget friendly disc brake wheels are still hard to find locally.

The rims are Light Bicycle 46mm. They cost around R7k delivered.

The issue for me was the spokes. Apparently getting basics such as DT Swiss/Sapim bladed spokes locally in the correct length is an issue: was quoted R65ea as an alternative... I didn't fancy R3.4k for a set of spokes, so instead I went with a full set of Alpina from Rapide for R800.

I spent a bit of money on the hubs, but you can go cheaper and the whole wheelset could potentially come in around R10-12k, which probably isn't too bad given what deep section disc wheelsets are locally available.

Asking for a friend :ph34r:

Do you fly over with an old bike and leave it there, and return with the new one?

Do you make the new bike look used - putting on old tyres and old saddle...etc.?

he was just wondering.

Just fly over with a bike bag and pile all parts into it. I once bought a whole lot of components and a frame in Germany like that. If they stop you at customs at the airport, you just tell them that you are returning from racing in Europe! They will not know the difference.