PE Incident - Strange Details

hboli4

Could be this. Driver may have been intoxicated. Still, why not a hospital? Strange indeed. All the best to your friend. Hope he makes a full recovery.  

I also thought of this but why would whoever droped him off at the police station not accompany him and help him inside?

Maybe the driver who hit him took him to the station but then ducked? I know too much speculation...

And where is the bike. Guess it could have been picked up by someone els as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something strange going on.

It takes him 23secs to go from 32km/h to 0 and there are some crazy elevation percentages at that point to like -23%. The last part of the ride looks very much like it was in a vehicle.

OP Please create a segment for the suspected accident zone so we can get better info.  

I will ask a friend to do that, have not been on that road in ages. Or is there another way to do it?

If you change the graph to plot against time rather than distance, it definitely looks like either he crashed or was hit by a car.

At about the 17min mark he goes from 27.7kph to basically zero. He is stationary for less than a minute when it looks like he started walking, and got picked up 2 mins later to get to the police station. 

This is very strange. I was hit by a car in December. After the impact with the car I was stationary for about 15 minutes before being taken to hospital so I dont think that this happened here.

Only speculating here but looking at this he might have been bike jacked. Someone probably threw something at him to cause a crash, and while he was on the ground they headed off with the bike. Only way I can think off that he started moving so quickly again without the bicycle. 

post-27075-0-15723500-1518776578_thumb.jpg

Edited by RudolphP

As RudolphP stated you need to change your graph settings, or if you hover the mouse over the default graph you will notice that there are jumps in the time possibly due to autopause functions.  Although everything happens quickly nevertheless (2min stationary after being hit by a car is a quick response time, which means whoever took him to the station was possibly either involved or a witness)

Change in elevation as was stated before is possibly because the garmin uses a barometer to measure the air pressure and works out elevation from that.  If he was loaded into a vehicle it would make sense that the watch picks up a different reading (Temperature in car different from outside).  This happens on my barometer readings when I get back into the house from an early morning ride.

Best thing would be to find a camera on the route, taking the start time of the ride you can calculate very accurately what time he'll pass the camera.

His Strava flyby settings seems to be private, see if you can change that so that you can track whether other cyclists/runners were close by or witnessed something perhaps?

Thank you very much.

It seems that there are a lot of people and organisations working on this, including trying to access CCTV feeds and talking to the local community near the scene. Hopefully there will be some answers soon.

Thanks to all for your willingness to help and assist. At this point we have no further info.

Looks like the shoulder is broken and will require an op, trying to do that this afternoon still. Brink is actually in high spirits, all he knows at this point is that something happened to him and that he was going down Buffelsfontein Road when he did. Everything after that is a blank to him.

Will update as soon as I know more. 

Very glad he is 'ok'. Gutted for him, he was going for his 9th IMSA in a row!

I will ask a friend to do that, have not been on that road in ages. Or is there another way to do it?

It is done on Strava by the uploader of the ride.

Just open the ride and click on the Cog/Gear looking icon and select create segment the narrow it down to the section of the incident.

Have shared photo of bike and request for people to keep an eye out on our club page... you never know. Hope the blanks get filled in and bike is returned unharmed!

Sounds a lot like a bike-jacking. Maybe someone saw it happen and thought best to get to police station fast? Head injuries can be wierd so maybe your friend seemed OK to be dropped off? Hope it isn’t too serious.

If possible - please can you share the gpx or fit file directly from his Garmin. (Not the one downloaded from Strava)

There is a lot you can tell from the accuracy fields.