Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Sorta jumping in here... but anyway.

By putting planks in the middle of a gap jump people can now roll over it instead of jumping it - it ruins the take-off. It's simple, if you can't do a jump then don't. It's mountain biking, it's a dangerous sport, progression will cost you some skin - make peace with that.

When we compare our trails with international standards it's a joke (not a condemnation of Tygerberg specifically, but SA trails in general). Bikes can turn without berms, and slow speed chunk is fun - but you have to be willing to take a tumble or two if you want to learn. I don't understand why we don't have the tech stuff to match Europe and Canada - I thought us South Africans are supossed to be a bit tougher.

preach.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the plank idea as well. But more like what tokai did on dh3 beforw the fires. The gap was filled with a pallet type platform, and i used to gauge myself by hearing if i hit the wood or not with the back wheel. When I started clearing it, i broke my frame.

Also the bigger pallet drop at the skills park now has a bit of a ramp coming down. I think it is great. The drops is still there but u can also ride down it, maing it more accessible to everyone and encourage people to ride such stuff.

Nah. Only way you get used to gaps is by hitting gaps. That's why a progressive build / skills park was such a lekker idea. Multiple size drops, gaps, tables, rock gardens, root / log sections etc. 

But... It's still a jump park with 3 small drops. 

I like the plank idea as well. But more like what tokai did on dh3 beforw the fires. The gap was filled with a pallet type platform, and i used to gauge myself by hearing if i hit the wood or not with the back wheel. When I started clearing it, i broke my frame.

Also the bigger pallet drop at the skills park now has a bit of a ramp coming down. I think it is great. The drops is still there but u can also ride down it, maing it more accessible to everyone and encourage people to ride such stuff.

No, that was an idiotic decision. It's not a drop anymore. 

Someting like this

If the club would be ok with it, I am happy to install some boards on Flow Terra to make to gap jumps "learnable"

post-31289-0-79790600-1553686544_thumb.jpg

This is how I used to know also if I "made" it or not.

Why not, it is a drop if you want it to be one and not if you dont.

At Conties at the bottom of Cheeky Corners there used to be a gap, then they made it a table. 

It was not killing the take off as it is Wood, and I rode that thing plenty and only NOW can I clear it. And a lekker feeling when you land it and you do not hear the wood sound and you go "I made it"

Sorta jumping in here... but anyway.

By putting planks in the middle of a gap jump people can now roll over it instead of jumping it - it ruins the take-off. It's simple, if you can't do a jump then don't. It's mountain biking, it's a dangerous sport, progression will cost you some skin - make peace with that.

When we compare our trails with international standards it's a joke (not a condemnation of Tygerberg specifically, but SA trails in general). Bikes can turn without berms, and slow speed chunk is fun - but you have to be willing to take a tumble or two if you want to learn. I don't understand why we don't have the tech stuff to match Europe and Canada - I thought us South Africans are supossed to be a bit tougher.

So those among us 45 years plus that works for themselfs and enjoys MTB'ing or like you said they dont do MTBing. Should hang up their bikes?

If they get it wrong, and fall they dont earn money ? 

The club does not provide a proper PROGRESSION place.

I was so confused by this. I thought the point of having different sized drops was to work on the skills to do the top one. That's what I did. I thought it was a great idea to have them lined up next to each other. Get a feel for them and nail the big one when you're keen. I liked achieving that after some practice. The ramp ruins it.

Why not, it is a drop if you want it to be one and not if you dont.

At Conties at the bottom of Cheeky Corners there used to be a gap, then they made it a table. 

It was not killing the take off as it is Wood, and I rode that thing plenty and only NOW can I clear it. And a lekker feeling when you land it and you do not hear the wood sound and you go "I made it"

and yet I guarantee that if there were a gap of equal size there, you'd not do it. Gaps are a mental thing, that need attention. Tabling that gap on the XCO circuit would be counter to the whole reason it's there - as a faster option for the more skilled riders. 

Drops are the same. You CAN take it faster and make it into a drop, but using that as "drop training" won't work as you still won't be working on an ACTUAL drop, and the presence of a safety net will mean that when you encounter one without a ramp, it's something new. 

For the record - I used to have the same opinion as you, until I realised that the only drops I was comfortable with were the ones I could also roll. Despite practicing "drops" I was just practicing boosting a ramp. 

I was so confused by this. I thought the point of having different sized drops was to work on the skills to do the top one. That's what I did. I thought it was a great idea to have them lined up next to each other. Get a feel for them and nail the big one when you're keen. I liked achieving that after some practice. The ramp ruins it.

Did you notice that there are / were 3 drops.

BUT 1st and 2nd where the same height and then the 3rd was 3 times as high...yes I measured them.

Did you notice that there are / were 3 drops.

BUT 1st and 2nd where the same height and then the 3rd was 3 times as high...yes I measured them.

Yep I also thought the jump to the wooden one was too large, but also that the gap between the wooden one at the skills park and then the ones on Trail Q was mahoosive ITO of skill and commitment needed to ride those. You need to be able to corner damn well on a flat corner to hit those comfortably. It's great!

So those among us 45 years plus that works for themselfs and enjoys MTB'ing or like you said they dont do MTBing. Should hang up their bikes?

If they get it wrong, and fall they dont earn money ? 

The club does not provide a proper PROGRESSION place.

no, he's not saying that. If you're not comfortable with a jump, don't hit it until you are. Progression doesn't mean going into something you're not comfortable with, it means working on your skills in order to progress to a level where you're comfortable to take on something you were previously uncomfortable with. 

Injuries are a part of MTB. You need to determine your own risk/reward ratio and ride accordingly. If that means hitting something and getting it wrong, well then that's on you, not on the trail. 

and yet I guarantee that if there were a gap of equal size there, you'd not do it. Gaps are a mental thing, that need attention. Tabling that gap on the XCO circuit would be counter to the whole reason it's there - as a faster option for the more skilled riders. 

Drops are the same. You CAN take it faster and make it into a drop, but using that as "drop training" won't work as you still won't be working on an ACTUAL drop, and the presence of a safety net will mean that when you encounter one without a ramp, it's something new. 

For the record - I used to have the same opinion as you, until I realised that the only drops I was comfortable with were the ones I could also roll. Despite practicing "drops" I was just practicing boosting a ramp. 

I somewhat agree with this. But is the club building for the 5% or the 95%? Stuff can be technical and fun, but also safe for other riders. 

Why is there even a Flow terra? To keep 5% of the club happy ?

Lets have one section for XCO then and make the Flow terra fun for all not just 5%

Irrespective of what we have tho, I am grateful for what we have and the ability to ride these various trails and enjoy the sport.

Without the private property we ride on, we would probably only have eden, jonkers and TMNP.

So we ok, even with international events.

Things can only improve with time.

I somewhat agree with this. But is the club building for the 5% or the 95%? Stuff can be technical and fun, but also safe for other riders. 

Why is there even a Flow terra? To keep 5% of the club happy ?

Lets have one section for XCO then and make the Flow terra fun for all not just 5%

NAd one of the big ways you make it technical and fun and safe is to slow people down. Too many of the smooth descents allow one to get up to big dangerous speeds. Bloemendaaler for example is k@k dangerous if you come off there while on one of the straights.