Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Irrespective of what we have tho, I am grateful for what we have and the ability to ride these various trails and enjoy the sport.

Without the private property we ride on, we would probably only have eden, jonkers and TMNP.

So we ok, even with international events.

Things can only improve with time.

Welllll...if you ride TMNP from Signal Hill side all the way to Tokai and back...I suspect you have similar amount of offroad riding you can do as compared to Tygerberg.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no, he's not saying that. If you're not comfortable with a jump, don't hit it until you are. Progression doesn't mean going into something you're not comfortable with, it means working on your skills in order to progress to a level where you're comfortable to take on something you were previously uncomfortable with. 

Injuries are a part of MTB. You need to determine your own risk/reward ratio and ride accordingly. If that means hitting something and getting it wrong, well then that's on you, not on the trail. 

Hmm now that is the thing, where on these trail do we learn that ?

Did you notice that there are / were 3 drops.

BUT 1st and 2nd where the same height and then the 3rd was 3 times as high...yes I measured them.

yeah, and now the larger one isn't a drop anymore. It's rollable. Which defeats the purpose. Smaller drops are to learn the technique. Larger ones are to get comfortable with different height drops, utilising the technique you learned on the smaller ones. Progressive application of skills to larger obstacles. With the ramp, the drop isn't as large anymore. Even if you "drop" it from the top, your brain still processes it as a not-drop. 

Welllll...if you ride TMNP from Signal Hill side all the way to Tokai and back...I suspect you have similar amount of offroad riding you can do as compared to Tygerberg.

Serious Question, do you perhaps have a route for that? Can one ride to Blackhouse and then around to Tokai? GPX file perhaps?

So those among us 45 years plus that works for themselfs and enjoys MTB'ing or like you said they dont do MTBing. Should hang up their bikes?

If they get it wrong, and fall they dont earn money ?

The club does not provide a proper PROGRESSION place.

Not at all what I am saying.

I'm saying don't butcher lekker features in the name of accessability - there are loads of people that can do them and don't want them dummed down.

Agree there should be more progression, smaller gap jumps, side by side increasing in size like Myles suggested, maybe even some with planks. Just don't take butcher the few features there actually are - it has happened at so many trail centers and it sucks!

There does come a point though where a certain level of risk is involved, and if you are not happy with that level of risk, don't do it. Then stick to what you are okay with doing - that's not me saying hang up your bike.

Just realise there are riders out there that enjoy gaps jumps, and techy root/rock lines.

Eg: Status quo in Jonkers is above my pay grade at the moment, but I am not gonna ask them to dumb it down for me - I am gonna take some risks, have a few tumbles, and learn to ride it. I'm sure many don't want to take that risk, I understand that completely - but then stick to trails and features where you are happy with the risk/reward ratio. If they do not exist - petition for them to be built, don't petition for the exisiting features to be altered.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Serious Question, do you perhaps have a route for that? Can one ride to Blackhouse and then around to Tokai? GPX file perhaps?

Hmmm...come join us sometime. I have some recorded rides on strava, will that help?

And yes, you literally can ride offroad from signal hill to Tokai without having to ride on tar much except for a portion on Tafelberg road (which you can circumvent). However, Signal hill to Tokai and return will be 80km+ ride.

Here's one shorter ride where we started at Rhodem Mem and rode to Nixon's bike park (https://www.strava.com/activities/2203102142).

That section has nothing too tech, but man it's beautiful and there are some sketchy bits too.

But Faaaark it does not heal up that quick any longer

Hahaha i'm 37 now and making sure I still get hurt a big...I think you just need practice at that too  :clap:

Hmmm...come join us sometime. I have some recorded rides on strava, will that help?

And yes, you literally can ride offroad from signal hill to Tokai without having to ride on tar much except for a portion on Tafelberg road (which you can circumvent). However, Signal hill to Tokai and return will be 80km+ ride.

Here's one shorter ride where we started at Rhodem Mem and rode to Nixon's bike park (https://www.strava.com/activities/2203102142).

That section has nothing too tech, but man it's beautiful and there are some sketchy bits too.

Thanks, you dont perhaps have a garmin connect file?

I am not on Summit so I can not download it

Edited by Quagga

I somewhat agree with this. But is the club building for the 5% or the 95%? Stuff can be technical and fun, but also safe for other riders. 

Why is there even a Flow terra? To keep 5% of the club happy ?

Lets have one section for XCO then and make the Flow terra fun for all not just 5%

120km trail network. Of those segments built by the club, that XCO track accounts for, what, 3% of the total distance of the trail? Even with Mainline & Revised & Kloof & Cobra, that's what.... max 10-15% of the total trail distance devoted to "technical" trails? And Cobra's a blue, at best. Which gets continually paved. 

Club constantly says they want to help foster and develop local XCO talent. How to do that other than build technical trails? The 95% (I reckon that figure is way too high, as well) have 110km of flow & dual track. 

The new XCO track was a good start. I just hope that those building practices are expanded and improved upon for more trails, not just "DH trails" with berms and jumps and drops. 

Personally, I'd love to be proven wrong. Even if there were 2 line options at a feature... Like Widowmaker, for example. Perfect application of A & B lines. Except more, and more tech. 

Hmm now that is the thing, where on these trail do we learn that ?

I'd hoped it would have been at the skills park, or with creative lines including the natural terrain present on ALL the farms in the network. Unfortunately rocks get removed or built around, loose baby-head covered corners cleared and off-camber corners bermed to hell and back. Because "if you want tech, ride it faster"

I await the new line in anticipation. 

Just realise there are riders out there that enjoy gaps jumps, and techy root/rock lines.

Eg: Status quo in Jonkers is above my pay grade at the moment, but I am not gonna ask them to dumb it down for me - I am gonna take some risks, have a few tumbles, and learn to ride it. I'm sure many don't want to take that risk, I understand that completely - but then stick to trails and features where you are happy with the risk/reward ratio. If they do not exist - petition for them to be built, don't petition for the exisiting features to be altered.

SO MUCH THIS!!! 

SQ scares the hell outta me, but you know what? I don't care. Keep chipping away at it and it'll come right. And then I'll wonder what all the fuss was about, and whoop all the way to the car.