Ultegra question

Slowbee

So after having ridden with Campy for the better part of 10 years I now have to consider downgrading to Shimano.  :ph34r: 

Do Ultegra shifters allow for the adjusting of the front derailleur so you can use the entire cassette on one blade without getting chain rub on said from derailleur, as with the Veloce ?

Is Sram red force similar ?

:blush:

Yes, if setup properly Ultegra shifters allow for a micro adjustment of the front derailleur to prevent it touching when the chain is in the far gear at the back on 10spd or 11spd.

So after having ridden with Campy for the better part of 10 years I now have to consider downgrading to Shimano. :ph34r:

Do Ultegra shifters allow for the adjusting of the front derailleur so you can use the entire cassette on one blade without getting chain rub on said from derailleur, as with the Veloce ?

Is Sram red force similar ?

:blush:

I actually went the same route, Veloce to Ultegra 6800. Both allow micro adjustment on the FD, but I much prefer the levers on Ultegra to adjust slightly up and down vs the lever/thumb switch on the Veloce.

Overall I haven't had a single regret, Ultegra is superior across the board. The only thing I miss is the satisfying switches when hammering it and pushing on that thumb switch.

All of this is irrelevant as you should probably just avoid cross-chaining entirely ;)

I went from chorus 10 spd to ultegra and still prefer the campy fd micro adjustment over the ultegra-but I am happy with the shimano's overall performance/value for money

Edited by NISI

Does the same apply to Sram Red ?

In looking at second hand bikes, very few have veloce (in my size and price bracket), but many have ultegra and plenty have the 105.

Does the same apply to Sram Red ?

In looking at second hand bikes, very few have veloce (in my size and price bracket), but many have ultegra and plenty have the 105.

If you can't find veloce in your price range, then you certainly won't find Sram Red in your range.

Why not consider Sram Rival instead, but also not very common.

If you can't find veloce in your price range, then you certainly won't find Sram Red in your range.

Why not consider Sram Rival instead, but also not very common.

just seen a few 2nd hand bikes with them on and just want to know if Red or Rival functions with the same "feathering".

just seen a few 2nd hand bikes with them on and just want to know if Red or Rival functions with the same "feathering".

Red YAW is designed to eliminate chain rub in the way it moves.

No need to trim, microshift etc if set up properly.

That said, cross chaining is a whole other discussion.

Edited by Thomo

why would you use the whole cassette in with one blade...?

It's the natural transition to a 1x drivetrain. :)

Ultegra di2 - electric gears are the way forward

It moves the position of the front derailleur based on where the chain is at the rear.

Once you go electronic, you'll never want to go back. It's just so smooth & easy ;) I just finished installing a wireless unit & battery & am going to try sequential shifting next...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk