Which watch for a kid

Johan_Kleynhans

Sorry but I don't know where else to go unless somebody can point me to a running forum like Bikehub.

I have a 10 year old that is good at long distance running. I want to buy her a watch that can give heartrate data as well as GPS positioning which should be able to be downloaded later to check training improvement as well as other things. Should have stopwatch ext .

I want to spend max R4K.

Any pointers as I gave her my Wahoo Ticker X to wear but she is not comfortable with it. She also does not have a smartphone so the watch must be able to do everything.

Thanks

Johan

Edited by Johan_Kleynhans

Sorry but I don't know where else to go unless somebody can point me to a running forum like Bikehub.

I have a 10 year old that is good at long distance running. I want to buy her a watch that can give heartrate data as well as GPS positioning which should be able to be downloaded later to check training improvement as well as other things. Should have stopwatch ext .

I want to spend max R4K.

Any pointers as I gave her my Wahoo Ticker X to wear but she is not comfortable with it. She also does not have a smartphone so the watch must be able to do everything.

Thanks

Johan

Hi Johan, I agree with above advice. On another note Bikehub has a partner site for runners called trailhub - http://www.trailhub.co.za

You can create a polar flow account and then either use the built in training program or custom add workouts.

I get about 8hours of GPS HR enabled workouts with day to day tracking between charges.

Longest activity I've done with it after a full charge is 14hours

Thanks all. Will report back on what I decided to buy.

If somebody knows. When was the Garmin 35 launched? I have been caught in the past buying something and then the upgrade is launched shortly thereafter.

Thanks Johan

Very slippery slope this, Johan - introducing training management devices at such an early age of development. IMHO, 16 would be a more appropriate age, no matter how good she is. It's too early for "training" - if she's got the genes and enjoys competing, the results will come. 

10 years old! Let her run away from the boys trying to kiss her be her training!

Make her count the time or whatever with her fingers and toes.

Let her run for the fun and enjoyment. If she (you?) is serious about proper training then it would be better to get her a professional coach who can make sure she doesn't hurt herself or affect her development. And who can keep the running fun for a 10 year old kid.

My opinion.