Ding on my rim

Chingy182

So I only realised this last night while cleaning my bike.

I took a knock sometime in the last two weeks and there is a massive dent in my rim.

On the plus side, this has not affected my tire pressure, the wheel still runs true and as far as I can tell no other issue.

Can I keep riding it like this for another month or 2 still? Or longer even?

Are there any risks that may present themselves like the whole wheel buckling in and causing damage to other parts?

Fixing it is obviously a big priority, I'm just trying to assess if I have some time on my hands.

I had the exact same thing recently. Maybe slightly smaller ding. I took the tire off and put on new rim tape and fresh sealant etc, tire runs true and no issues even riding in the northern Drakensberg. Will just leave it as is. I did insert into this (rear) tire a csixx foamo insert which may help prevent this kind of thing in future and seems to give the tire a better profile. 

I had the exact same thing recently. Maybe slightly smaller ding. I took the tire off and put on new rim tape and fresh sealant etc, tire runs true and no issues even riding in the northern Drakensberg. Will just leave it as is. I did insert into this (rear) tire a csixx foamo insert which may help prevent this kind of thing in future and seems to give the tire a better profile. 

Great advise. Also bit of a relief.

Many thanks

Just ride it... been riding with a ding very similar to that in my rim for about 6 months. As long as you are not losing pressure and it's running true there should be no issues.

The bigger issue is that the OCD might be bugging you. Just ride a bit harder to cause an identical dent on the opposite side of the rim.

As long as it holds air and does not cut the tyre there's no reason to replace the rim.

I'm terrible at pavement hopping, so get dings like that PDQ. I use a shifting spanner and cloth to straighten them out. Alu isn't terrifically malleable, but do it gently but firmly and it works every time. Even for the bigger dents on my wife's wheels, she's even worse at pavement hopping. HAd wheels like that for 10+ years, no probs.

The bigger issue is that the OCD might be bugging you. Just ride a bit harder to cause an identical dent on the opposite side of the rim.

As long as it holds air and does not cut the tyre there's no reason to replace the rim.

haha OCD might win this one eventually

I got a much bigger ding. I straightened it. It lasted about another 2000km before it cracked off completely.

post-41865-0-42445700-1519994970_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the photo it was a really big one.

Running true with that ding?

Let's suppose it was running skew before and the ding straightened it :P

Running true with that ding?

Are we talking about a ding in my rim, or a ding up my rim?

Sorry - I forgot this is a family site.

Archived