Buyer/Seller Responsibilities (Wheels)

The Mul

Hi Guys

I recently had/have two issues regarding buying of second hand wheels, please tell me what is the reasonable course of action: 

I bought an awesome Cannondale  Supersix EVO in January, off Bikehub, which came with carbon tubulars. Awesome ride, but I tend to get 1 or 2 flats during training per year and was worried about it. So I decided to buy a set of ALU rims for training.

Responded to an ad form a member in Kloof/Durban for a set of Easton EA70's very good condition, only needs one spoke o rear wheel. Paid for Courier cost, upon arrival took it to Cyclelab. After they waited two weeks to get a spoke/nipple they informed the rear wheel is beyond repair as the threaded insert in the rim is turinng, they cannot remove old nipple. Front wheel has cracks on braking surface (not weld lines) and a vertical wobble - also deemed beyond repair. Contacted seller, who said he will refund me I must please courier back to him. That was on 28 Feb, his phone has been off since. I don`t want to name and shame yet because he is out of the country, but he promised my refund for 1 March and has been missing since without any communication?

Then I bought a set of Fulcrum 5`s from another Hubber, who indicated perfectly true. I could not get a Campy casette tool at two bike shops so ended up fitting the wheel to my bike for the first time after nealry two weeks, only to notice a vertical wobble of nearly 4mm. I contacted the seller, he isworried that I may have ridden/damaeg it since two weeks have lapsed, but says he is trusted seller on Bikehub. He will take it back to Cyclelab for assessment and decide on possible refund based on their assessment. I will keep you posted as to the outcome of that one.

Question: I understand Voetstoots, I have bought numerous 2nd hand vehicles in the past. If I was promised something was in good condition and it turns out not to be what is my rights? Should I rather have had the wheels assessed by a bike shop before buying them? Would tyupical sellers be happy to go get the wheels inspected/certified form a bikeshop?

Henk

PS, first seller posted on 3  Feb that he successfully claimed for a set of wheels form the municipality due to pothole damage, which makes me wonder if I bought the pothole wheels ...?

Welcome to the Hub, IMHO, I wouldn't stress about the wheel being slightly out - 4mm is not enough to worry about especially on training wheels. 

The Easton story is a bit of a K@K one I will admit as those older Eastons spares are like hen's teeth...

As with anything though there is always a reason something is being sold secondhand....normally the price will reflect the condition as well...

4mm is not enough to worry about especially on training wheels. 

4mm is a huge variance for vertical.  This will cause the wheel to hop and vibrate which will feel terrible.  

4mm is a huge variance for vertical.  This will cause the wheel to hop and vibrate which will feel terrible.  

Agreed with that - 4mm is a lot!

Hell, your entire bike shakes if you don't seat your tyre 100%, and that's just from a few mm...

Some people pay more school fees than others... It doesn't mean they are better educated.

If you aren't 100% sure what to look for when buying secondhand wheels, or you can't physically inspect the wheels rather go for a new set of 'cheaper' wheels. In the long run they will be better value!

Agreed with that - 4mm is a lot!

Hell, your entire bike shakes if you don't seat your tyre 100%, and that's just from a few mm...

Had that with a tubeless  road tyre not seating properly on some tight rims. Started the ride with the climb from Camps Bay so only found out when I started to go down 'bossy  @ 60kmh. Stuff got weird really quick! 

If his LBS (Cycle Lab) can't or won't sort this out then I wouldn't go there again....

How much did OP pay for this Fulcrum set with this hop? 

I would personally take the wheel to any of the following people for an assessment: 

Anton at Summit Cycles

David Marshall - http://www.spokeandspanner.co.za

Grant Usher at Sprocket and Jack

These guys build wheels.

They will be able to advise you of the best course of action to take. 

Hi Guys

I recently had/have two issues regarding buying of second hand wheels, please tell me what is the reasonable course of action: 

I bought an awesome Cannondale  Supersix EVO in January, off Bikehub, which came with carbon tubulars. Awesome ride, but I tend to get 1 or 2 flats during training per year and was worried about it. So I decided to buy a set of ALU rims for training.

Responded to an ad form a member in Kloof/Durban for a set of Easton EA70's very good condition, only needs one spoke o rear wheel. Paid for Courier cost, upon arrival took it to Cyclelab. After they waited two weeks to get a spoke/nipple they informed the rear wheel is beyond repair as the threaded insert in the rim is turinng, they cannot remove old nipple. Front wheel has cracks on braking surface (not weld lines) and a vertical wobble - also deemed beyond repair. Contacted seller, who said he will refund me I must please courier back to him. That was on 28 Feb, his phone has been off since. I don`t want to name and shame yet because he is out of the country, but he promised my refund for 1 March and has been missing since without any communication?

Then I bought a set of Fulcrum 5`s from another Hubber, who indicated perfectly true. I could not get a Campy casette tool at two bike shops so ended up fitting the wheel to my bike for the first time after nealry two weeks, only to notice a vertical wobble of nearly 4mm. I contacted the seller, he isworried that I may have ridden/damaeg it since two weeks have lapsed, but says he is trusted seller on Bikehub. He will take it back to Cyclelab for assessment and decide on possible refund based on their assessment. I will keep you posted as to the outcome of that one.

Question: I understand Voetstoots, I have bought numerous 2nd hand vehicles in the past. If I was promised something was in good condition and it turns out not to be what is my rights? Should I rather have had the wheels assessed by a bike shop before buying them? Would tyupical sellers be happy to go get the wheels inspected/certified form a bikeshop?

Henk

PS, first seller posted on 3  Feb that he successfully claimed for a set of wheels form the municipality due to pothole damage, which makes me wonder if I bought the pothole wheels ...?

Surely you don't need to fit a cassette nor fit the wheel to a bike to see this?

I have bought wheels, and I just spin them and hold them and look at the wheel. If you were worried about it being true then why not fit it to your bike without cassette and spin them?

Surely you don't need to fit a cassette nor fit the wheel to a bike to see this?

I have bought wheels, and I just spin them and hold them and look at the wheel. If you were worried about it being true then why not fit it to your bike without cassette and spin them?

Thinking about what you said regarding the fact that you can quickly see an issue simply by spinning the wheels up:

If you want to sell wheels on the hub it would probably help your sale if you post a link with your advert where you recorded the wheels being spun up(youtube video), it gives the potential buyer some feeling as to what condition the wheel is in.

But it is always better to inspect the 2nd-hand bike product in person before exchanging money. It is just good practice to advertise the true condition of the item on sale as best as possible within the constraints of the platform you are using.

Holy moly... 4mm is enough to make the wheel look like an egg.

When I build wheels it is to less than a mm in all directions with even spoke tension.

Having an egg shape wheel means someone must have true'd the wheel laterally and just twisted till it pulled back into line without actually checking the shape.

Neither option is acceptable, but the egg you can fix if you take all the tension out, unscrew the nips to the 1st thread line and start again with tiny borrow increments like half a turn each...

You have been sucker punched fellow hubber..cant believe there are men selling worn pampers and expecting silver...

I would personally take the wheel to any of the following people for an assessment: 

Anton at Summit Cycles

David Marshall - http://www.spokeandspanner.co.za

Grant Usher at Sprocket and Jack

These guys build wheels.

They will be able to advise you of the best course of action to take. 

I can vouch for Anton at Summit Cycles, for what it is worth- from wheels to suspension with fox brains

Both sets of wheels should have been checked by seller before sales and buyer on receipt.

Wheels and a few other items are in the cash deal category. Wheels have way too many unknowns to be bought unseen.

dont buy wheels with "just one broken spoke" spokes dont just break and if the wheels are ok they cost very little to fix so ask ...why is it still broken if you trying to sell it ?

but yeah voetstoets means exactly that -you buy stuff unseen you better hope you bought it from someone honest if it turns out sh+t -if you didnt its called schoolfees :whistling:

Archived