LBS funny excuses and "Explanations"

Quagga

Ja I had this one too, but a bit worse. Asked the mechanic if the pedals were serviceable, he said no. Then I checked and saw they were but needed that silly shimano plastic thingy. Asked his about it, he still says these 520s are not serviceable. I get gatvol, find the part number and order it from the counter of the shop.

They get It in like a week, amazing. I go to pick it up, he sees me at the counter and we chat and he asks what I am getting. I show him the tool and say “the tool to service the 520s you say can’t be serviced”.

* claps hands , while wiping a tear away that I could not see this *

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me: medium **** helmet please

Salesperson: what type of riding do you intent to do?

Me: the helmet was specifically requested, Its will be a present.

Salesperson: Ja, but what type of riding do the person intent to do?

Me: The type of riding is irrelevant, I want this helmet in medium. Can you help me?

Salesperson: I cannot sell this helmet if I don't know the type of cycling the person intents to do.

I turned around and walked out, bought the helmet from a competing store 20km up the road. This is what happens when you employ skoolkinners during December Holidays, CWcycles.

So what type of riding do you do?

So what type of riding do you do?

:w00t:  Meezo, jou bliksem!

XCKC*

*Cross Computer Keyboard Cyclist

Me: The type of riding is irrelevant, I want this helmet in medium. Can you help me?

Salesperson: I cannot sell this helmet if I don't know the type of cycling the person intents to do.

I turned around and walked out, bought the helmet from a competing store 20km up the road. This is what happens when you employ skoolkinners during December Holidays, CWcycles.

At least he didn't try to convince you that what you actually want is a full carbon XC bike with rigid carbon seatpost (after requesting to see a Scott Genius) because it' super light.

Just before I turned 40, I realised that I was turning into the proverbial couch potato and I need to start getting some excercise.

I went to a LBS and purchased a yellow and black Raleigh RC2000. Included in the price was a Cateye Astrale cycling computer. When I went to collect the bicycle after they set it up, ready for me to use, I asked the person assisting me if they made sure they set the circumference of the wheel correctly on the Cateye to get the correct speed reading. I was looked at with a blank stare and was told "We don't enter anything on the computer, you just move the magnet and sensor closer or further away from the axle to adjust the speed reading untill it's the right reading"! :eek:  :rolleyes: My explanations of speed=distance over time and C=2π*r was met with even blanker stares. :D 

​When I began realising I was fighting a losing battle I just took my new bike home and entered the correct value. 

My worst best, arguably, was getting a fill of sealant at the Berg n Bush one year. I knew the bike shop owner who was on site very well, having worked for him in the mid 1990s. Anyway, I didn't have cash handy, so asked him to email me the bill. When I got it, it was seriously expensive - like 4x normal price. I asked why and was told most of the cost was labour.

Which is cool, except the dude was watching me the whole time I was doing the job.

Still trying to figure out what word is starred? **** helmet? **** helmet? Ball box? The type of riding is massively relevant.

My worst best, arguably, was getting a fill of sealant at the Berg n Bush one year. I knew the bike shop owner who was on site very well, having worked for him in the mid 1990s. Anyway, I didn't have cash handy, so asked him to email me the bill. When I got it, it was seriously expensive - like 4x normal price. I asked why and was told most of the cost was labour.

Which is cool, except the dude was watching me the whole time I was doing the job.

Did you pay??

I don't have any funny stories :( just the usual 'the jumping chain is now perfect and the gears are spot on'.

'Are you sure? Did you take it outside and put it under pressure?'

'yes'

Thor goes outside and unleashes the calves of furry. And fury. Tschk, Tschk, Tschk, sproing. And the chain was making *** noises too.

My worst best, arguably, was getting a fill of sealant at the Berg n Bush one year. I knew the bike shop owner who was on site very well, having worked for him in the mid 1990s. Anyway, I didn't have cash handy, so asked him to email me the bill. When I got it, it was seriously expensive - like 4x normal price. I asked why and was told most of the cost was labour.

Don't some shops charge extra if you help ;)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Did you pay??

I don't have any funny stories :( just the usual 'the jumping chain is now perfect and the gears are spot on'.

'Are you sure? Did you take it outside and put it under pressure?'

'yes'

Thor goes outside and unleashes the calves of furry. And fury. Tschk, Tschk, Tschk, sproing. And the chain was making *** noises too.

Yes I paid; like I say, I know the owner very well. I did smile wryly (no, wait, that was a grimace)....

Don't some shops charge extra if you help ;)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

There wasn't anyone else around keen to cover themselves in slime put the stuff in the tyre!

I agree. That joke is very unfair and very hurtful. How do you think that bum would feel if he read it? 

I'm not sure bums have feelings. After today's ride, mine has nought.

Just before I turned 40, I realised that I was turning into the proverbial couch potato and I need to start getting some excercise.

I went to a LBS and purchased a yellow and black Raleigh RC2000. Included in the price was a Cateye Astrale cycling computer. When I went to collect the bicycle after they set it up, ready for me to use, I asked the person assisting me if they made sure they set the circumference of the wheel correctly on the Cateye to get the correct speed reading. I was looked at with a blank stare and was told "We don't enter anything on the computer, you just move the magnet and sensor closer or further away from the axle to adjust the speed reading untill it's the right reading"! :eek:  :rolleyes: My explanations of speed=distance over time and C=2π*r was met with even blanker stares. :D 

​When I began realising I was fighting a losing battle I just took my new bike home and entered the correct value. 

Duuuuude! Nobody likes a smartass (took me until I was 41 to realise this)...

Duuuuude! Nobody likes a smartass (took me until I was 41 to realise this)...

In my defence I did say it was just before I turned 40.... I also learned that eventually. :-)

I went to a LBS and purchased a yellow and black Raleigh RC2000. Included in the price was a Cateye Astrale cycling computer. When I went to collect the bicycle after they set it up, ready for me to use, I asked the person assisting me if they made sure they set the circumference of the wheel correctly on the Cateye to get the correct speed reading. I was looked at with a blank stare and was told "We don't enter anything on the computer, you just move the magnet and sensor closer or further away from the axle to adjust the speed reading untill it's the right reading"! :eek: :rolleyes: My explanations of speed=distance over time and C=2π*r was met with even blanker stares. :D

Years and years ago I borrowed a TT bike with a 26" front wheel for national champs. I did a few tests,popped my computer on and was ready to go. I shot off the start line at pace and was smashing it at ridiculous speed. I had my champagne spraying strategy all worked out..then I realised my computer was still set for a 700c wheel....

So I also got this same rigmaroll, ordered the part through CycleLab - after 6 weeks and a bunch of phone calls, and excuse after excuse it never showed up. So what you can do instead is to wrap a towel around it and use a monkey wrench - no damage, and works very well.

Same, thing at the 'new' Boksburg store, ordered extra lenses for Adidas Evil Eyes, even provided them with the number (this was towards the end of 2016). Excuses for 2 weeks, eventually they told me I cannot get those lenses in South Africa because nobody has stock and will only be in the country in 3 months. Bumped into an Adidas rep at a race, asked and had my lenses 2 days later.

Some time ago I was killing time in a Pretoria shop in their nice “coffee-department” , the sales person was doing his/her best to sell the customer into a Momsen Vipa. To their credit, they really knew the Vipa particularly well. Then the comparing started with other brands, and it was probably on par for a sales person to only look at what they do not like on something else. This was where it got interesting, the client then asked how does a Merida compare with a Vipa? The sales person made a comment which led me to pull a neck muscle and spill my beverage…. “Merida is only an entry level bike, you will be wasting your time and money. Merida has no product at pro level.”

Although I am no fan of a Momsen or a Merida I just had to break my silence, asked the young dude if he had ever heard of a person called Gunn-Rita Dahle, and if he had perhaps heard of Multivan Merida, off course I was met with a blank stare.

Archived