sani2c

Balooba

People,

What's all this hate and sour grapes...

It is an event that is well planned and organised, run by mostly good people and a genuinely great trail / route. Yes, it is an outdoor event and sometimes the weather can misbehave.

It is not cheap - but priced in line with most similar events. It is a private business and I think they run it better than most. 4000+ people will do the event - so of course there are always going to be a few that pull out. With an ever growing MTB audience and a watered down group of hardcore riders (all hub experts included here), this could be expected over time... I don't think their model is flawed - they will continue to adapt.

Is there tougher or more intimate events.Yes - but S2c is still a top notch ride. No need to scare newbies away. To the moaners - come with constructive ideas and suggestions or just stay away. It is really that simple.

Oh - and move over ffs... coming through.  :D  

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People,

What's all this hate and sour grapes...

It is an event that is well planned and organised, run by mostly good people and a genuinely great trail / route. Yes, it is an outdoor event and sometimes the weather can misbehave.

It is not cheap - but priced in line with most similar events. It is a private business and I think they run it better than most. 4000+ people will do the event - so of course there are always going to be a few that pull out. With an ever growing MTB audience and a watered down group of hardcore riders (all hub experts included here), this could be expected over time... I don't think their model is flawed - they will continue to adapt.

Is there tougher or more intimate events.Yes - but S2c is still a top notch ride. No need to scare newbies away. To the moaners - come with constructive ideas and suggestions or just stay away. It is really that simple.

Oh - and move over ffs... coming through.  :D  

I second this and am voted with my money by going back for my second ,  It  is top class event and has certainly set standard that all others are measured by so a yard stick 

I think the other events may have caught up hence the demand dropping , and last year rain did put a few off , hopefully like the Argus the weather holds and we have an absolute cracker.

The School finish does address my only small concern  

From the newsletter

"This comes at a cost, in the form of Iconic Climb. It is a test for the best and will be an achievement for those who reach the top without having to put a foot down. For those non climbers and buffalos we have a new route option for 2018. This is an alternative route around and up Hlegabafazi instead. After regrouping with your team mate at the Trig beacon, you wind through the African bush on Out of Africa 2 and pop out on a 3km section of district road. Let the strong guys in your group pull you through to the Highflats Farmers Table where you can refuel for the next section of the stage"

HaHa.

Fellow Hubbers

I am looking for a lift with my bike from Umhlanga area to Glencairn on Wednesday for the Race if anyone has a spare seat and bike rack spot. Happy to share costs.

The official airport shuttle leaves at 13:30 but that's too early for me

Thanks

Chicken Run on an up-hill??? :huh: Probably on the back of people complaining like crazy last year - well, I am talking about the Trail group specifically - not sure about race and adventure. 

I was planning on handing out cement pills going up Iconic to those whiners, but not doing S2C this year (rather going for free beer at B&B).

Rule #5... 

Beer isa no longer free at B&B... it was only free in 2016. Last year they had some craft beer (not very nice)... 

Has anyone booked a car shuttle service that they will no longer use? In need of one for the Race.

Beer isa no longer free at B&B... it was only free in 2016. Last year they had some craft beer (not very nice)... 

Beer is always free when the slowest rider of the day is buying  ;)

CBC not nice?  :eek:

Challenges:

Been offered a spot next week for the race,if i had another months training i would be fine. Only been cycling again for a month after a 3 yr break. Been doing the Spruit at about 16 km/h for 2 hour rides and feeling OK. Any advice from those who have done Sani2C (fit or unfit answers appreciated) on if i will pull out on day 2 as i am unfit enough. Really keen to do it but very short notice for training. 3 years ago i was fit and strong enough to probably finish comfortably in the top half of finishes of this race.

Challenges:

Been offered a spot next week for the race,if i had another months training i would be fine. Only been cycling again for a month after a 3 yr break. Been doing the Spruit at about 16 km/h for 2 hour rides and feeling OK. Any advice from those who have done Sani2C (fit or unfit answers appreciated) on if i will pull out on day 2 as i am unfit enough. Really keen to do it but very short notice for training. 3 years ago i was fit and strong enough to probably finish comfortably in the top half of finishes of this race.

I think you will definitely be able to do it.

Days will be long though. 5, 6, 7 hours per day in the saddle with plenty of suffering if you are very unfit.

If that still sounds lekker, do it!

Next week this time we (adventure guys) will be dropping down into the Umko Valley

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I'm scared! But excited!!!