warrantee after 1st owner

JTK

So... which bikes actually transfers warrantee after first owner? I seem to recall somewhere Cannondale did this but dont know for sure...

I've never understood that non transfer of warranty. If you give a lifetime warranty on a frame then you shouldn't even need a proof of purchase as far as i'm concerned, never mind proving who the original owner is

I think this is a little more clever than we give them credit for. Suppliers know that frames get used till they break. However most people that can afford to buy new will sell the bike and buy a new one within 5y. Thus they actually only need to worry about the first 5y on average. Saying lifetime is more a gimmic in my opinion

I've never understood that non transfer of warranty. If you give a lifetime warranty on a frame then you shouldn't even need a proof of purchase as far as i'm concerned, never mind proving who the original owner is

So you want an unlimited warranty forever no matter how many owners?

What other product does this?

I'm not saying that. But what other products limits the warranty to the first buyer? The manufacturers have brought up the lifetime warranty... So yes maybe 5yrs non restricted would be better.

I think this is a little more clever than we give them credit for. Suppliers know that frames get used till they break. However most people that can afford to buy new will sell the bike and buy a new one within 5y. Thus they actually only need to worry about the first 5y on average. Saying lifetime is more a gimmic in my opinion

I think a 'lifetime' warranty is only for generally around 5yrs...

I think a 'lifetime' warranty is only for generally around 5yrs...

I have been alive a little longer than that though :D

Or are they even more clever and saying "lifetime of frame"? That would really make it nice a grey :D

After buying a secondhand Bianchi 928 for R7 500 I took it to my LBS and had them calculate the replacement value and list the cost breakdown on one of their official quotes. 

Total replacement value was around R80 000. 

I then insured the bike for the replacement value. 

About a year later I had a serious crash that damaged the front wheel and the frame. 

When I put in the claim for new wheels and frame I include a letter from my LBS confirming the damage and a quote for the new parts. The insurance company paid out.

LIfetime refers to the lifetime of the frame, which is judged by most manufacturers as 5 years. They figure the frame only has to last 5 years, as after 5 years there would be a redesign anyway and it would be time to upgrade.

This is all stated in the warranty docs that you get with the bike. It would be a wise decision to actually read these things. That is, if the bike shop bothers giving it to you with your new bike.

The reason there is no warranty on secondhand frames is to encourage new bike sales.

1 and 2 years on a bike frame is a joke!

If it doesn't break in a year or 2 then i don't think it's a factory defect.

If it doesn't break in a year or 2 then i don't think it's a factory defect.

3 years just rolls so much better off the tongue .... and yes, they can break after 2 years with a manufacturers defect / design defect ... some issues take longer to break down than others

edit: to add, that vast majority of riders are weekend warriors ... so the bike then would only be ridden roughly (2years) 24m x 4wks = 96 times.

Edited by Hairy