Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

Most doctors I know think some lawyers should be shot outright....  :)

Most Some doctors I know think some most lawyers should be shot outright....  :)

I suppose accountants and PR professionals should be added to the list as well?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a few that are very grateful for lawyers.

The only time you are grateful for a lawyer, is when yours is the better one in the court room....

I suppose accountants and PR professionals should be added to the list as well?

Now isn't this more interesting than a debate about a father that wishes to both approbate and reprobate?

The whole reason this dear girl wants to ride in the series is the prestige of it... but lets take that away.

Clearly, that's part of the magic you guys created. Nothing wrong with it except perhaps people are becoming so focussed on the superficiality of prestige. No reason to exclude on the pretext of home schooling though.

Standardized equipment is completely impractical.

No it isn't, it is difficult though because it was never envisioned at the start. Stipulating a hardtail within a weight/pricing index is workable baseline for most.

And to start now would create a pushback from wealthy parents who's kids are running world cup level equipment. Understandable, it's not a comfortable situation to bring up. Also parents naturally want their kids on the best and if they can get it they will. One of the key organiser members agreed with exactly this at the Saint's event.

This though is a far bigger effect or at least has the potential to have a bigger effect than wether or not home schooled kids take part. 

The league is so big they can't actually accommodate everyone... the races start til late in the afternoon already as things are...

Yeah a good problem to have at least, and nothing to do with home schooling really. 

On balance the league does exceptionally well and creates more positive opportunities than anything else. Personally I love how it teaches sportsmanship and guides kids on how to work on/wash their own bikes. It's great and no doubt will sort out the teething stuff that comes with the growth.

So you think attacking the series sponsor is the route to go? It took 8 pages for the Hub Mob to figure out that the problem lay at the foot of the regional organizers, and was isolated to the Gauteng bunch, which you clearly knew from the beginning. You chose to take aim at the sponsors, and mislead the conversation as to the real cause of the problem.

It would not be a giant leap to view your behaviour as vindictive, as an attempt to inflict harm on the Gauteng organizers by threatening their lead sponsor. And you seem happy to attack the financial sponsor of a national series, who you KNEW had not set the rules affecting ONE region among many.

I think this is in really porr taste, and you most likely have done more harm than good to your cause and the cause of other home-schooled kids.

I hope Spur and the organizers see this for what it is, and treat it with the contempt that it deserves.

I think you should read his first post again

*We have previously contacted Spur and the organizers about homeschooler participation, but they unfortunately remained adamant that the League will not admit homeschoolers. There is no attempt to try to work out a solution that can work for all parties.*

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The only time you are grateful for a lawyer, is when yours is the better one in the court room....

The better lawyer keeps you out of court.

I know a few that are very grateful for lawyers.

This is true - malpractice claims in SA are on the rise - seemingly in tandem with the drop in claims against the motor vehicle accident fund....

I have no qualms with legitimate claims, but some of the BS that is out there is astounding (and thats both from the medical and legal fraternities - what really gets my goat is collusion between them - luckily this is a subject for another thread)

I think you should read his first post again

*We have previously contacted Spur and the organizers about homeschooler participation, but they unfortunately remained adamant that the League will not admit homeschoolers. There is no attempt to try to work out a solution that can work for all parties.*

WHO IS "THEY"?  OP KNEW IT WAS NOT SPUR

Sorry, not sorry.  There was NO reason to name Spur, and there was an ABSOLUTE obligation by the OP to call out the source of the issue, which is that the lack of response to the issue arose from the Gauteng region organizers, and NOT the financial sponsors.  OP knew FULL WELL what the real source of the problem was.

An (intentional?) confusion was created with the very language that you quoted above, and OP did not make much effort to correct the confusion in the thread. 

I call BS

Sorry, not sorry.  There was NO reason to name Spur, and there was an ABSOLUTE obligation by the OP to call out the source of the issue, which is that the lack of response to the issue arose from the Gauteng region organizers, and NOT the financial sponsors.  OP knew FULL WELL what the real source of the problem was.

An (intentional?) confusion was created with the very language that you quoted above, and OP did not make much effort to correct the confusion in the thread. 

I call BS

The OPs motive doesn't really detract from it being a crappy rule though?

The OPs motive doesn't really detract from it being a crappy rule though?

So potentially wreck it for all the other kids?  OP's actions have real-world consequences in a sport where meaningful financial support is not in abundance. 

So potentially wreck it for all the other kids?  OP's actions have real-world consequences in a sport where meaningful financial support is not in abundance. 

Thats not going to happen though.

Can I ask a genuine question, do you have vested interest in this series or sponsor? Im just trying to understand your passionate responses?

Well if spur pull sponsorship then, as some here have said, it's no loss as the kids at the actual schools can then just go and race the other races like this girl is being forced to.

Apparently, for some, that's fine until it's their kids being left with no school league.

PygaSchmyga, you are definitely not invited to my party.

I'm stepping out. You guys have all the answers [emoji106]

Quick question..

How many of the schools buy their cycling kits from Anatomic[emoji6]

That sounds very healthy... can see a very productive school day for kids getting up at 3am. Also incredibly safe of course... but hey, whatever makes you right.

Training does not always mean riding a bike alone in traffic.  Training can be done indoors at home or in a gym.

A home school kid training for 4 hours before school is the same as a regular school kid training for 4 hours before school, no matter what time school starts. 

Getting up at 3am is not an issue if you go to sleep at 7PM.

I call BS

The chances of Spur getting Gauteng into line with the other provinces are much greater, seeing as they have a workable solution, than pulling the sponsorship.

Stop getting your knickers in a knot. Hammering on the "Spur did nothing wrong" point is deflecting from the issue at hand, which is getting a young lady who loves riding her mountain bike to participate.

As the Spur Schools MTB League, we appreciate the comments and concerns that have been raised by our supporters. 
The League is a schools-based league aimed at qualifying High schools for an annual inter-schools final, therefore great focus is placed on High school entries and importantly team entries.

In order for the League to obtain official school sports status for mountain biking as a sport, participants in the League need to be schools and not individual riders.

We are all lovers of cycling, so it is unfortunate that certain individuals do not qualify for our program, but we hope that the explanation of our structure and vision explains to a large extent why this is the path we have chosen.

Archived