Karoo to Coast

Marichen

I think it's time also to make mention of the fact which often gets overlooked for the most part, which I can only attribute to the fact no-one wants to face it.

Falling.

I have seen some gruesome wipeouts on K2C, worst of all last year, when 2 ladies managed to get themselves to Knysna the fast way, i.e. in the back of an Ambulance. Both these falls happened at the bottom of the Boskop climb start within 100 meters from one another.

Take the descents easy, as help is not readily at hand. Ride within your abilities for the first timers, and stay loose and in control. The road, although "just gravel", is not always smooth. There has been a ton of rain during last weekend, and the roads are likely to be rutted and corrugated badly.

Bly veilig mense ,en wees lekker.

Those two went down hard.

Another thing, the Marshalls whith flags and whistles are there for a reason. If you dont listen the next whistle you hear is going to sound like a siren.

Edited by Boerklong

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Robbie. Whats your thoughts on flats in regards to me starting right at rhe back?? Don’t really want to battle those uphills without my cleats?

Chill dude, DO NOT change anything!!! Repeat over and over.

If you ride cleats ride cleats. The only place you will walk, apart form exhaustion (OK I walked the forest bumps last year because I was broken) is the ou wapad so keep doing what you have been doing.

I think it's time also to make mention of the fact which often gets overlooked for the most part, which I can only attribute to the fact no-one wants to face it.

Falling.

I have seen some gruesome wipeouts on K2C, worst of all last year, when 2 ladies managed to get themselves to Knysna the fast way, i.e. in the back of an Ambulance. Both these falls happened at the bottom of the Boskop climb start within 100 meters from one another.

Take the descents easy, as help is not readily at hand. Ride within your abilities for the first timers, and stay loose and in control. The road, although "just gravel", is not always smooth. There has been a ton of rain during last weekend, and the roads are likely to be rutted and corrugated badly.

I remember back in 2012 I cycled past a guy who had a heart attack right on top of Simola. Stay within your limits guys.

Chill dude, DO NOT change anything!!! Repeat over and over.

If you ride cleats ride cleats. The only place you will walk, apart form exhaustion (OK I walked the forest bumps last year because I was broken) is the ou wapad so keep doing what you have been doing.

I agree. Just in case your shoes are full carbon MTB ones, its going to suck if you walk. Make sure your cleat shoes bend a bit  when you are pedestrian.........

Falling.

Good advice.

Please don't cut corners because the guy you cut in front of will have nowhere to go

Lots of loose stuff in the corners,so watch your speed

Don't loose your waterbot's

Have FUN

Looks like we'll be having nice weather, no rain. YR longterm forecast shows 12 minimum for Uniondale and 20 maximum for Knysna..with a very slight headwind all the way.

Now that is good news! I'll still pack some light warm stuff, just in case.

I’ve never seen so many dropped water bottles as on the Wapad descent. Check everything is bolted down, it’s a LONG way from there!

Doing my 4th K2C. Looking at the comments I see alot of do`s and dont`s and I can already see the panic in some of the newbies eyes. K2C is just a normal Saturday 95km ride with steady climbs and fast downhills. The route is mainly open roads and nothing technical or difficult. Just ride within your ability and consider other riders and you will be fine. My 1st K2C I started at the back and rode the ou wapad all the way to the top. The majority of the riders/walkers made way with just a polite "keep left please" as I approached . Looking forward to next week.

First for me this year... Excited but nervous haha! Was out of training for nearly 2 weeks with flu, but wont miss it! Managed a 72km ride with about 1300m of climb and a 50km with 1000m and a few 20s and 30s, hope that alright haha! Hope to get another 50/60 on Sunday and then rest! Can't wait! Hope the legs are there!

Edited by DevonBo

Old question, done many times. LbS here is awesome enough to borrow me a top fuel 9.7 for the event. Never ridden a DS before..... Worries is this 1. The "bounce" of the DS, never dealt with that before. 2. Having to put my camelback on again?

Opinions?

Old question, done many times. LbS here is awesome enough to borrow me a top fuel 9.7 for the event. Never ridden a DS before..... Worries is this 1. The "bounce" of the DS, never dealt with that before. 2. Having to put my camelback on again?

Opinions?

Jeez that's nice of them! Surely the Top Fuel 9.7 has a remote lockout.. just lock them out on the climbs and flats.. then release and enjoy them on the descents!

Opinions?

Sneaky LBS.....

They KNOW come Tuesday you will be buying a FS!!

Enjoy the ride, you will be fine.

Opinions?

Top fuel is an xc race bike, make sure the suspension is setup correctly for you and don't worry about pedal bob, these bikes are very efficient at handling it. Just ride with it open and enjoy the day.