[Event] TrapNET 360

JA-Q001

Route map with Road Closure sections indicated.

Wasn't really feeling good about the route before. Now that there are definitely non-closed sections I might just give this one a skip for now.

after riding the route yesterday. Decided not to enter. It will be fine for our racing cat but the open groups in the Wierdapark area will encounter a lot of trouble with traffic as the road at the Spur region has a very small shoulder and the traffic circles. Not to mention even the area around Diepsloot where you turn left with heavy vehicles and taxis using the road with no shoulder for most part. 

Just also bad taste to use the saying "full closure for racing groups" We also get it in races with the metro, etc around us. Just a bad marketing strategy done by die organizers. 

The route is not 87km but 95km roughly. We started at centurion mall and ended there. Skipping the small start and finish section. It makes a huge difference for people especially the ones that just want to finish the race after a lot of challenging sections and most possibly dangerous sections with the traffic they will encounter.

Again the bulk of entries will not even get the benefit of a safe race after it was pushed as a safe race with road closures. 

Bad taste from the organizers

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with you Charles, lots of dangerous areas on the route, we ride a lot in that area and was contemplating to enter or not. Definitely not going to enter as well. 

Was thinking of entering the event. Thanks for the advice. I'm a back marker and would not want to put myself in danger.

We also went to scout the route to check out the potential risky areas. I came away with a slightly different perspective; Whilst exclusive use and full road closure is always ideal during any event, we're always going to be in some sort of conflict or another with our fellow road users for a little bit of space on the tarmac.

I remember the early days of events like the 94.7 road race when we also didn't manage the support of the municipal and traffic authorities to enforce full road closure. Consistent participation each year and the ceaseless behind-the-scenes work of the organizers contributed to the races warranting enough consideration to inconvenience our fellow road users for a couple of hours on a weekend. 

Provided that the traffic officers and marshals on the day are on point, I believe this race will likely be on par with some of the other races up here with partial road closure. 

Should this race then prove to have the initial support and eventual legs to justify full road closure, well, then anyone that elects to sit this one out, may have another race on the calendar to choose from.

That said, off-course no-one should influence your own decision about safety. You'd be ill-advised to participate if you do not feel fully confident about your own safety on a route like this. There are many other routes to ride and many other days of the year to ride this route when you'd only have to contend with normal road traffic. 

Finally, if you're a cyclist for which the difference between 80-ish and a 90-ish km road cycling makes the difference between and result and a DNF, plan to get to the top of that lekker climb off Samrand at about 80km. It's a cool12k's or so, mostly fast downhill from there back to the finish.

We also went to scout the route to check out the potential risky areas. I came away with a slightly different perspective; Whilst exclusive use and full road closure is always ideal during any event, we're always going to be in some sort of conflict or another with our fellow road users for a little bit of space on the tarmac.

I remember the early days of events like the 94.7 road race when we also didn't manage the support of the municipal and traffic authorities to enforce full road closure. Consistent participation each year and the ceaseless behind-the-scenes work of the organizers contributed to the races warranting enough consideration to inconvenience our fellow road users for a couple of hours on a weekend. 

Provided that the traffic officers and marshals on the day are on point, I believe this race will likely be on par with some of the other races up here with partial road closure. 

Should this race then prove to have the initial support and eventual legs to justify full road closure, well, then anyone that elects to sit this one out, may have another race on the calendar to choose from.

That said, off-course no-one should influence your own decision about safety. You'd be ill-advised to participate if you do not feel fully confident about your own safety on a route like this. There are many other routes to ride and many other days of the year to ride this route when you'd only have to contend with normal road traffic. 

Finally, if you're a cyclist for which the difference between 80-ish and a 90-ish km road cycling makes the difference between and result and a DNF, plan to get to the top of that lekker climb off Samrand at about 80km. It's a cool12k's or so, mostly fast downhill from there back to the finish.

I don't think one can't actually base anything from years back as all has changed from temperament, tolerant, etc to others and with the amount of incidents. People in general just don't worry about others around them anymore as in the old days. Unfortunately its a sad truth but in no way does this not mean that races can't be held. I do think that the route planning was done incorrectly and everything was a rush decision on marketing the event and announcing it before even an route is confirmed and the necessary permission is granted. I'm also not convinced that the whole route was cycled ( by the organizing committee) before the time to make sure that most is correct.

Agree totally that we as cyclist will most of the time encounter problems on the road with motorist, pedestrians and road conditions but also one need to think about when planning an event that the groups will not be 2 - 5 riders but in some cases it will be more than 100 riders in a group. That makes a huge difference on how to approach everything

Agree that 8km is not a lot but for from other reports and post I read of inaccurate distances it did become an very sour feeling cyclist had of an event.Just also on the last 12km to the finish from top of Samrand, if it is an headwind then the slight downhill (only really fast section is down Lenchen) will not help. Yes it's part of racing but with proper planning and informing participants they do know what to expect and not get the unexpected surprise that they did 92% of the race and not 100% as they expected and planned for to ride. 

I do really hope that this event will be successful but just at this stage i'm not convinced. 

Edited by CharlesZ

This is why we are not entering. Not going to drive through to Centurion just for number collection:

Number Collection:
Friday, 20 July 2018
10:00 to 19:00
Saturday 21 July 2018
09:00 to 19:00
Supersport Park, Centurion

I'm sorry but this has all the hallmarks of an event that will be cancelled "Due to a lack of interest"

It is very difficult to start a event from scratch and you need proper promotion of the event if you want to start with a bang, think Tshwane Classic, they got the Metro to buy in.

Another way to start an event is to start "small" by partnering with the local cycling club and build it with them.

Let's hope we can get more big races settled around the Capital City

I agree with everything said above, positive and negative. I do however feel that all of the above should be brought to the attention of the organisers.

@trapNet 360...

I agree with everything said above, positive and negative. I do however feel that all of the above should be brought to the attention of the organisers.

@trapNet 360...

they where commenting on this thread so sure they can read or did already read it

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just say, this route was vrek fun. No problems with traffic, anywhere on the route. Traffic marshals did a great job (and still are doing). A bit cold at the start, but was warming up nicely by 8am.

Ill deffinatly support again next year.

Thanks for a GREAT event! The haters definitely missed something good. Was great fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Fantastic marshals, wp's, route, beautiful medal etc!

Will definitely be back!

Edited by Pieter-za

A really great race. Great route. Thanks to the marshalls and special thanks to the metro cops who kept the traffic at bay at the intersections. Will be back next year.