Knee Guards

Anine

After a series of 'unfortunate events' I realised I probably should invest in some mtb knee guards.

I have about R1000 to spend on a pair.

Will I realistically find something for that amount? 

Nothing fancy, or high tech. just something that will keep me out of the orthopedist's room

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leatt Airflex, or Airflex pro.

https://www.pinned.co.za/leatt-knee-guard-airflex-pro.html

Their product seems to be very close to true size, so do measure properly.

Airflex Pro is way better fit and a much better pad all around than the standard Airflex. Good pads for trail riding but if the OP is thinking of some beefier tracks and enduro races then something like IXS Carve range, Leatt Guard  3DF 5.0 or 661. 

Try them on. I think knee guards can be one of the most personal fitting bits of kit. I've had very nice pads that just didn't fit right and it became annoying when riding and I've had other pads that chaffed the backs of the legs quite a bit. Now I have the Leatt 5.0's and they are perfect for me and have saved me a few times. 

Edited by Yo-yo

If you have money to blow, the Ion K-Pact knee guards have rave reviews. Olympic Cycles in CT have a couple of pairs. Leatt is probably the best value though. 

• 2 years later...

*casts thread revival spell*

So now that I'm doing a lot more trail riding and "exploring" my limits (i.e. moering into the ground more), I'm looking at investing in a set of knee pads.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a downhiller (although I do my best to impersonate one), and I tend to do a lot of climbing and pedaling. As such the pads should be more biased towards comfort and limited impact on pedaling rather than protection.

Also, I'm a cheapskate, so cost is definitely a factor.

I've had the G-form knee pads for 3 years (R600 on takealot now) and used them well and true. I am no technical hero but I fall. A lot. A LOT. And they gave me confidence and basic slow impact protection. Pull them down to ankles for the pedal sections and jank them up before dropping in. Lekker light stretch material so no zips and straps, on a warm day the janking up requires more wiggling... but I cycled with them and didn't rub.

Just invested in ION K-pact zip knee guards and can fit them around the handlebar or again, ankles for climbing. But the price matches the quality but worth it when speed and tech increases

*casts thread revival spell*

So now that I'm doing a lot more trail riding and "exploring" my limits (i.e. moering into the ground more), I'm looking at investing in a set of knee pads.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a downhiller (although I do my best to impersonate one), and I tend to do a lot of climbing and pedaling. As such the pads should be more biased towards comfort and limited impact on pedaling rather than protection.

Also, I'm a cheapskate, so cost is definitely a factor.

im in same situation, need knee pads as my knees are taking a battering.

Bike addicts seem best priced 

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/fox-launch-enduro-knee-pads

Any issues with sliding down? 

so nope, i've a strange build ie fat, so at a height of 1690mm i wear XL pads, i never have an issue of them sliding down, i also fit them under my bib and never having them dangling at my ankles. i just find them to be that comfortable.

Thanks for the feedback! They seems ideal and aren't too spendy. Have you had a crash with them and how durable are they?

so i've had a slide when they pad has a slight tear in front. during lockdown i've fitted flats to my bike after not riding them for 2 years and had my feet come of the pedals hitting me at the back of the kneepad(go figure) which caused it to tear as well. the local pak sorted this out for me