Next XTR: It is 12 speed !

Christie

or I just know how to ride. It seems a lot of people don't know how to ride anymore and seem to just blame it on their gear instead of themselves.

assumptions, assumptions .................. assumptions everywhere!

personally I hope Shimano are bringing out a kick ass 12/13spd system for us K@K riders who do not know how to ride or shift gears.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First need to apply for a passport to come to JHB ............

It's closer to Pretoria.... bring your braai tongs...

It's closer to Pretoria.... bring your braai tongs...

..... you mean "cooking tongs" .... you lot use charcoal and not wood ... so not it is not really a braai :P 

..... you mean "cooking tongs" .... you lot use charcoal and not wood ... so not it is not really a braai :P

Only Capetonians have cooking tongs.....

assumptions, assumptions .................. assumptions everywhere!

personally I hope Shimano are bringing out a kick ass 12/13spd system for us K@K riders who do not know how to ride or shift gears.

well if people want to assume my riding style I can simply reciprocate. Although It certainly seems that slot of people don't know how to ride or shift gears.

Comments like "you obviously are riding at a speed on the trails conducive to chain retention." or I simply don't aim for the biggest rocks in the trail? Or comments like "loosing your momentum when you change rings". Those comments make me wonder if people aren't just blaming their gear instead of their riding styles.

well if people want to assume my riding style I can simply reciprocate. Although It certainly seems that slot of people don't know how to ride or shift gears.

Comments like "you obviously are riding at a speed on the trails conducive to chain retention." or I simply don't aim for the biggest rocks in the trail? Or comments like "loosing your momentum when you change rings". Those comments make me wonder if people aren't just blaming their gear instead of their riding styles.

I have seen enough people jump on a bike then thumb the FD whilst doing 5kph and 15rpm to know that not all FD issues are equipment related.

Like all things though - there is no right and wrong for the 1x / 2x debate. Both have their place.

For me it's 1x for training and XCO/1 day races.

2x for stage racing and 1 day race in areas with HUGE mountains.

Hope shimano improve on their cassette durability on the lower gears, 11 and 13 tooth, my sram cassette's last twice as long

I have seen enough people jump on a bike then thumb the FD whilst doing 5kph and 15rpm to know that not all FD issues are equipment related.

Like all things though - there is no right and wrong for the 1x / 2x debate. Both have their place.

For me it's 1x for training and XCO/1 day races.

2x for stage racing and 1 day race in areas with HUGE mountains.

My chain retention issues on 2 and 3 x systems were not generally shifting related, more to do with prolonged rough descending. If your thing is endurance events then by all means have more gears for the hills and gentle descents, if you are more interested in descending steeper rougher trails and want guaranteed chain security, then there is nothing better than a wide range 1x system and a small upper chain guide. 

My chain retention issues on 2 and 3 x systems were not generally shifting related, more to do with prolonged rough descending. If your thing is endurance events then by all means have more gears for the hills and gentle descents, if you are more interested in descending steeper rougher trails and want guaranteed chain security, then there is nothing better than a wide range 1x system and a small upper chain guide. 

For sure! Horses for courses and all that.

sorry but going to have to disagree with you there. The chain line is worse on a 1x. It certainly isn't better. On a 2x when you are on the low end of the cassette you will be in the small ring = straighter chain line. The same goes for being on the big ring when you are on the high end of the cassette. When on the extremes of the cassette a 1x is bending the chain and chain noise is greater.

Ground clearance probably isn't much better as you need a rear mech with a longer cage to accommodate that dinner plate rear cassette. Max speed on a 2x is in excess of 50kph.

Chain dropping isn't eliminated. It can still happen. A big enough hit will still dislodge it.

Chain rings may be freely available but I don't need to swap out chain rings.

Lighter bike? Not really. Not when you look at it closely. Bikes are not lighter. My 2x Merida now weighs 9.8KG. Most 1x GX or XO equipped 1x hardtails are the exact same. And you have more rotating mass on the rear wheel thanks to the dinner plate. The 20-50 grams you loose in the crank doesn't make up for the added weight on the rear. And front mech and Shifter is static weight. Also as somebody before meentioned. Include accessories for your 1x like a chain guide and suddenly there is no weight advantage. So it's worth nothing. If you want to loose weight. Loose it on yourself. It's more effective and lighter in your wallet.

Cheaper to maintain. How many front derailleurs do you guys break? How do you break them? 12 years of riding. 5 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes. I've never broken a front mech. I guess maybe I just look after my bike? I don't know how everybody has these problems? Or maybe we are just imagining there are problems now because 1x is all the rage so now we imagine there to be issues? 20K kilometers on my current MTB and I've dropped the chain about 5 times. But that's over extremely technical terrain and my rear derailleur is not clutched. I can imagine I would never have an issue with chain retention once I have upgraded to a cluched rear derailleur.

I use all my gears on my 2x.

All these "advantages" of a 1x aren't really there if you really dig into it. I've done the math. Calculated the gear ratios. Calculated weight differences. Calculated steps between gears. 1x does not have as much going for it nearly as much as people think it does.

Everybody, just leave this guy and his 2x system already!!!!

We all went 1x and greatly appreciates it!! :clap:  :clap:

Funny how my 3x9 on the 26" (previous bike) and the 2x10 on the current bike has never given me any issues with chain drops, no matter the trails and or terrain I am riding. No chain guides are attached to my bikes so I guess I will have to go 1x1 if I want 100% total peace of mind.

sorry but going to have to disagree with you there. The chain line is worse on a 1x. It certainly isn't better. On a 2x when you are on the low end of the cassette you will be in the small ring = straighter chain line. The same goes for being on the big ring when you are on the high end of the cassette. When on the extremes of the cassette a 1x is bending the chain and chain noise is greater.

Ground clearance probably isn't much better as you need a rear mech with a longer cage to accommodate that dinner plate rear cassette. Max speed on a 2x is in excess of 50kph.

Chain dropping isn't eliminated. It can still happen. A big enough hit will still dislodge it.

Chain rings may be freely available but I don't need to swap out chain rings.

Lighter bike? Not really. Not when you look at it closely. Bikes are not lighter. My 2x Merida now weighs 9.8KG. Most 1x GX or XO equipped 1x hardtails are the exact same. And you have more rotating mass on the rear wheel thanks to the dinner plate. The 20-50 grams you loose in the crank doesn't make up for the added weight on the rear. And front mech and Shifter is static weight. Also as somebody before meentioned. Include accessories for your 1x like a chain guide and suddenly there is no weight advantage. So it's worth nothing. If you want to loose weight. Loose it on yourself. It's more effective and lighter in your wallet.

Cheaper to maintain. How many front derailleurs do you guys break? How do you break them? 12 years of riding. 5 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes. I've never broken a front mech. I guess maybe I just look after my bike? I don't know how everybody has these problems? Or maybe we are just imagining there are problems now because 1x is all the rage so now we imagine there to be issues? 20K kilometers on my current MTB and I've dropped the chain about 5 times. But that's over extremely technical terrain and my rear derailleur is not clutched. I can imagine I would never have an issue with chain retention once I have upgraded to a cluched rear derailleur.

I use all my gears on my 2x????.

All these "advantages" of a 1x aren't really there if you really dig into it. I've done the math. Calculated the gear ratios. Calculated weight differences. Calculated steps between gears. 1x does not have as much going for it nearly as much as people think it does.

YES I’m liking your post

Don't get Hairy excited! :eek:

What Headshot said :P

Archived