Help me choose an electronic Speedo for my MTB

Wayneman

Im relatively new to MTB riding. Have entered my first 70km race for next month - looking forward to that :eek:

Im looking for an electronic speedo that I can put on my bike. I don't want to spend a lot of moola on this thing - I just want it to show distance travelled, maybe speed, ave speed and time, that type of thing. Im not looking for something with GPS functionality.

I see there are now wireless devices available on the market - are they any good and whats the battery life like?

What devices can you recommend and what feature should I be looking for?

Thanks

dunno about electronic speedo, but make sure you get the right size so your nuts don't pop out...

And on a more serious note, the usual ones you get for R150-300 are ok but they are not that reliable and always bump the pickups so you end up fiddling with them a lot. I would look at a gps training device as opposed to a speedo, the basic garmin is like 2k.

IMHO get something like a basic garmin and you won't regret it. The non gps ones are a hassle and restricted to one bike(I say restricted because its more than just a head unit to move across). A gps computer also doesn't care what wheel size you got. The apps to use (strava etc) are also really cool and I doubt the cheaper ones are compatible. You will be able to get an edge 25 for under 2k and you have decent back up if something goes wrong.

Wow,

New to cycling and you're already tackling a 70km race....good luck!

My suggestion is to go the whole 9 yards - if you are serious about this

MTB'ing thing then get a GPS tracker and eventually link up to Strava.

Its great in tracking your progress, if you're competitive, especially if

you ride in a group that do the same.

Otherwise ask your LBS (Local bike shop) for a cheapie - but think you might 

regret it in the future (like I did).

Enjoy the race

I started off  cycling with a few different wireless computers. They were terrible to set up and often lost signal mid ride.  look under the classifieds for a decent second hand GPS

There are many such speedo's on the market. If I can recommend Cat Eye. They are the best. Stay away from Ryder, they are well priced but mine gave I had endless hassles).

I have a unit that my mother in law sent from Germany for me. It had a 1 Euro price on it and it works well.

GPS, in my opinion, is information overload and just a nice to have.

I should have a Cateye wireless one for you for R200 which will be perfect. It shows time, riding time, speed, average speed etc. Let me know if you're keen and I'll scratch for it, I have either 3 or 4 lying around.

Send me a PM if you're keen.

There you go - https://go.shr.lc/2L3abjl

R1200 for a really great GPS. I have one and it's way better than my entry level Garmin. 

SJOE that is good value for money hey. Those features are inline with a top of the range garmin. but..................it's not a garmin :ph34r:  :whistling:

It is a pity you don't get these here. GPS cycling computer for R430. 

BRYTON Rider One 2018

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I think I have narrowed my choice down to a Cateye of sorts - there seem to be a few models floating around. Must just do my homework and decide what is best.

Im really not keen on spending R2k+ on a GPS unit yet.

When I win my first ever race next month, and there is hope, then I can look into a GPS unit, but for now Ill stick to the more basic options  :clap:  

For what it's worth, when I entered the market for a cycling computer, I read a lot about wireless frequencies from cheap wireless devices interfering with one another if you're in a bunch (group, race, whatever). The higher specced models ought to have unique pairings, eliminating this issue.
Anyways, I bought a wireless Sigma with cadence and and extremely happy with it. it has 2 profiles so can be swapped between 2 bikes. it has stop start timers for interval training... heck, it has everything I want except gps tracking. I spent around R850 for mine

Edited by Dirkitect

i know you said you're not looking for a gps unit, but get a gps unit anyway!

i never thought i'd want a gps either, but bought a garmin fenix to navigate routes when I went riding overseas and ive never looked back.  Thought it would become a white elephant after the trip, but i couldn't have been more wrong.  I use this thing every day of my life and its been tracking all my rides and workouts for the last 2 years.  this thing works great and the interface with anything else is great.  Links with powermeters, indoor trainers, strava, trainingpeaks or whatever else you can think of without pushing a button.  You also never have to worry about calibration, batteries, cables not making contact etc., just charge the watch unit every 2 weeks and you're good to go.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I think I have narrowed my choice down to a Cateye of sorts - there seem to be a few models floating around. Must just do my homework and decide what is best.

Im really not keen on spending R2k+ on a GPS unit yet.

When I win my first ever race next month, and there is hope, then I can look into a GPS unit, but for now Ill stick to the more basic options  :clap:  

I understand ... many of us did the same.  Buy cheap just to see and then spend the money again to get something that would actually do the job the way it should be done ;)

I walked the same road with my bike, heart rate monitor, etc etc.  I can't turn back time so that money is gone. :)

It is a pity you don't get these here. GPS cycling computer for R430. 

BRYTON Rider One 2018

I will stay as far away from ANY Bryton if you want my advise. Go and search Bryton here and see what pops up