How to remove a bearing race from a carbon fork?

Eldron

Dear Hub Wrenching Massif,

I have a carbon Niner fork and need to remove the bearing race without scratching the fork. Normally I use tiny screw drivers and work my way onto larger and larger screwdrivers until it's loose. Sometimes this leaves a scratch or two... The Niner fork has no "cutouts" like most other forks so getting the wee screwdrivers in is an issue.

How do you do it without scratching it? Give up your secrets!!

post-2412-0-74262400-1527833556_thumb.jpg

..find its matching bearing :whistling:

That was the original plan but it's now going into a tapered frame so it needs to come off.....

I had to take mine to an engineering shop, but have also seen bearing race removing tools

The only way to do it, is the right way. get the right tool or go to your LBS and ask nicely that they remove it

post-50361-0-77822800-1527835130_thumb.jpg

Dear Hub Wrenching Massif,

I have a carbon Niner fork and need to remove the bearing race without scratching the fork. Normally I use tiny screw drivers and work my way onto larger and larger screwdrivers until it's loose. Sometimes this leaves a scratch or two... The Niner fork has no "cutouts" like most other forks so getting the wee screwdrivers in is an issue.

How do you do it without scratching it? Give up your secrets!!

heat it up with a hair dryer, carbon does not expand with heat at the same rate a spring steel .

it should help get it off easier .

heat it up with a hair dryer, carbon does not expand with heat at the same rate a spring steel .

it should help get it off easier .

Good thinking squire!

I have also ordered a new crown race removal tool (just in case).

There is a technique using stanley knife blades but it might leave scratches.

Hammer in 2 blades on opposite sides and then another on top of it, rinse, repeat.

And my csixx xcm rims...

In fact, the carbon melted before the sticker on the rim ????

two old dull bladed pocket knives and a medium size rock ....and skills .....same as any other crown race :whistling: 

Archived