Training/riding on anti biotics

Theres a mate that we have thats going onto antibiotics now because he is sick...

He's still planning to run comrades this weekend.

He didnt like it when I said his funeral will be next week Friday.

What more do I tell him??

Are you a qualified doctor? Edited by Stoli

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My doc put me on a 5 day course of Amoxycillin 500 mgs 3x a day, started on Thurs evening. Had a sore throat, swollen glands in neck and a cough. Today I am feeling well I'd say a 100% well. But I still have 4 more AB's left to take. 

After doing some googling I see these AB's aren't the type of AB's that would put me at greater risk for tendon damage. But I'm worried of possible heart strain.

Basically I am trying to decide whether to go do a +-20km MTB ride this evening and whether I can resume gymming tomorrow or whether I should wait until Wednesday when I will have finished the course of AB's.

Input would be appreciated. If there's a thread I missed on the subject mod's can merge it. 

I am not a Doc but have done some reading.

Sounds like you have a Virus so why the AB?

If it IS a VIRUS you want to stay well away from riding and ANY excersise as it is NOT hearth strain but HEART DAMAGE!

Are you a qualified doctor?

You dont need to be one to know / read up on the internet what will happen here

A qualified mate with a brain

So, not a doctor? Just another person with his/her own opinion?

As far as I know, you can't get antibiotics without a doctor's prescription. Did your mate get it from a doc and tell his doc that he is going to run the Comrades?

You dont need to be one to know / read up on the internet what will happen here

It's the same as saying I'm not a Gynea, but I'll have a look as I've seen a few...

Funny how we all know better than doctors who studied a few years because we've read some stuff on the internet. Fact, if you Google your symptoms chances are you've got Cancer.

Thanks for the input. I'll wait it out. Wednes isn't that far. 

Will hit it extra hard then. 

DONT.....Start slowly

just so you know it is NOT the exercise that got you to lose weight it is the CORRECT eating. People don’t seem to know that it works like this

Eating right = Losing weight

Get fit = Exercise  (does not have anything to do with weight loss) Does assist a small % only but not the main cause for weight loss

So, not a doctor? Just another person with his/her own opinion?

As far as I know, you can't get antibiotics without a doctor's prescription. Did your mate get it from a doc and tell his doc that he is going to run the Comrades?

What's your goal here?

Chukky said he told his mate NOT to run Comrades if he was sick enough to go to a doctor and get meds and now you are grilling him? I really don't understand your angle?

Do you think that he should run Comrades? Or are you suggesting that the guy actually said to the doctor 'Doc, I want to run Comrades' and the Doctor said, 'Mate, take these anti biotics this week and you should be absolutely golden' and Chukky disagreed?

I'm going to suggest that the guy never mentioned Comrades to his doctor because he knows exactly what the Doc will say. Don't. Just don't

Edited by Jewbacca

If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough, when you get knocked down you gotta get back up, now I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...

What's your goal here?

Chukky said he told his mate NOT to run Comrades if he was sick enough to go to a doctor and get meds and now you are grilling him? I really don't understand your angle?

Do you think that he should run Comrades? Or are you suggesting that the guy actually said to the doctor 'Doc, I want to run Comrades' and the Doctor said, 'Mate, take these inti biotics this week and you should be absolutely golden' and Chukky disagreed?

I'm suggesting if he's serious he'd have told his doc. Did I not write it in English or what? What's your angle here? You a doctor?

It's the same as saying I'm not a Gynea, but I'll have a look as I've seen a few...

Funny how we all know better than doctors who studied a few years because we've read some stuff on the internet. Fact, if you Google your symptoms chances are you've got Cancer.

Seriously? It is DR that wrote the stuff I read..but off you go....go and train while you have a Virus or on AB what do WE know.......

ps: mind leaving you bikes to us here in your will ? :-)

I'm suggesting if he's serious he'd have told his doc. Did I not write it in English or what? What's your angle here? You a doctor?

Please stop asking if someone is a DR and explain the question?

Please stop asking if someone is a DR and explain the question?

An expert's opinion is much better than some random on the internet who has read some stuff somewhere. Or am I mistaken?

Seriously? It is DR that wrote the stuff I read..but off you go....go and train while you have a Virus or on AB what do WE know.......

ps: mind leaving you bikes to us here in your will ? :-)

My point is, if my doc says don't train, then I won't. If my doc gives me the all clear, who gives an internet boffin the right to say he's wrong?

I think you should have led with that?

'Did your mate ask the doctor if it was ok for him to run?'

Instead you just come across as a bit of a spanner with a strange abrasive manner.

I'm sure you're lovely though.