Training/riding on anti biotics

Theres a mate that we have thats going onto antibiotics now because he is sick...

He's still planning to run comrades this weekend.

He didnt like it when I said his funeral will be next week Friday.

What more do I tell him??

You okes believed Chukky when he said he had a mate???? Shame on you all...  :ph34r:

I'm said person, and here are the actual facts:

I took a single dose Anti-biotic first thing this morning - it's slow release (3-4 days)

It was prescribed by a Doc and specifically prescribed because he know's I am running Comrades. He's a long distance runner too, so understands the rigors of what I am doing completely.

I am 90% healthy, nowhere near deaths bed, but I obviously need to be 100% for the weekend.

This was my last day to take the AB's, so I took them. I wouldn't have taken them if it wasn't Comrades weekend, I'm just not that sick (no green snot, not much of a cough - not in my chest, can run up the stairs no problem etc) - but unfortunately just not quite 100% like I have to be.

I was hoping to avoid them, hence I didn't take them straight away, but after going to bed certain I would wake up feeling 100% for the last 3/4 days, but ultimately not - I pulled the trigger as it was now or never. 

I will do a little test run in two/three days time if I am feeling good, with a focus on my heart rate as it's a pretty good indicator. I also have a check up with my doc before flying to Durban.

I will not run if I am anything less than 100% by Friday  ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt he knows who V12 man is here or in real life. All I know is V12 man also knows a lot about coffee :thumbup:

There are actually quite a few hubbers who know me personally - some for more than 40 years.... ok - at least 1....

That's the smart route....  good luck for the run bud - the extra recovery will probably help more than training if you are feeling off.

You okes believed Chukky when he said he had a mate???? Shame on you all...  :ph34r:

I'm said person, and here are the actual facts:

I took a single dose Anti-biotic first thing this morning - it's slow release (3-4 days)

It was prescribed by a Doc and specifically prescribed because he know's I am running Comrades. He's a long distance runner too, so understands the rigors of what I am doing completely.

I am 90% healthy, nowhere near deaths bed, but I obviously need to be 100% for the weekend.

This was my last day to take the AB's, so I took them. I wouldn't have taken them if it wasn't Comrades weekend, I'm just not that sick (no green snot, not much of a cough - not in my chest, can run up the stairs no problem etc) - but unfortunately just not quite 100% like I have to be.

I was hoping to avoid them, hence I didn't take them straight away, but after going to bed certain I would wake up feeling 100% for the last 3/4 days, but ultimately not - I pulled the trigger as it was now or never. 

I will do a little test run in two/three days time if I am feeling good, with a focus on my heart rate as it's a pretty good indicator. I also have a check up with my doc before flying to Durban.

ok

Look I was resistant as hell to going on AB's. I had what seemed like sinusitis 10 days or so before the sore throat, was blowing out coloured gunk, I rode that out with extra hydration and vitamin C . It cleared up for a bit - for about a week or so and I ran the Cape Town One Run during that period and felt fine. A day or 2 after that I developed the sore throat and cough and glands.

It was then I finally decided to see my GP, I explained my reluctance there too, she said she couldn't be 100% sure if it was a virus or bacterial and said I could ride it out or take the script she gave me but she advised to take the AB's and when I asked how long should I lay off the exercise she said 5 days. 
I'm gonna resume training on Wednesday (the day after this course is completed).

Hey guys

Thought I'd tell this story as short as possible but as a word of warning while training even a little sick.

Four years ago during winter in JHB I has a runny nose, one of those that persisted. I gave riding a break for almost two weeks but my nose just didn't stop. I thought I'd just live with it while on the bike, I couldn't not ride any longer besides I was used to whipping streaks of snot onto my glove during winter anyway I thought.

For two week I rode hard, really hards, three laps at the cradle on a Sat and then Sundays having fun bombing the spruit on my MTB. After an enjoyable weekend of riding, Monday morning I got a headache. Mild but painful, something I wasn't used to because I never get headaches.

It progressively got worse and worse untillI couldn't see straight, painkillers did nothing to help. I thought I'd just Í'd just sleep it off and actually told a mate I'd meet him in the morning for a quick spruit bomb.

Tuesday morning I could barely move because of the pain, my wife took me to Sunninghill Hospital where after a few hours and a spinal tap I was diagnosed with Meningitis. The doctor said that because I was pushing so hard even with a little cold the virus had managed to jump through the meniscus that separates the nose area from the brain because of a degraded immune system.

I had to sit in isolation for 12 days with two massive drips on my arm. It was painful and super boring. My only real entertainment (TV sucked because of DSTV repeats) was the heart rate monitor alerting the staff to a low heart rate all the time because how fit I was.

Lesson learned, dont ride while sick, it's just not worth it.

Edited by Gambithunt

Theres a mate that we have thats going onto antibiotics now because he is sick...

He's still planning to run comrades this weekend.

He didnt like it when I said his funeral will be next week Friday.

What more do I tell him??

As Ozzy Man puts it - destination F.....

Hey guys

Thought I'd tell this story as short as possible but as a word of warning while training even a little sick.

Four years ago during winter in JHB I has a runny nose, one of those that persisted. I gave riding a break for almost two weeks but my nose just didn't stop. I thought I'd just live with it while on the bike, I couldn't not ride any longer besides I was used to whipping streaks of snot onto my glove during winter anyway I thought.

For two week I rode hard, really hards, three laps at the cradle on a Sat and then Sundays having fun bombing the spruit on my MTB. After an enjoyable weekend of riding, Monday morning I got a headache. Mild but painful, something I wasn't used to because I never get headaches.

It progressively got worse and worse untillI couldn't see straight, painkillers did nothing to help. I thought I'd just Í'd just sleep it off and actually told a mate I'd meet him in the morning for a quick spruit bomb.

Tuesday morning I could barely move because of the pain, my wife took me to Sunninghill Hospital where after a few hours and a spinal tap I was diagnosed with Meningitis. The doctor said that because I was pushing so hard even with a little cold the virus had managed to jump through the meniscus that separates the nose area from the brain because of a degraded immune system.

I had to sit in isolation for 12 days with two massive drips on my arm. It was painful and super boring. My only real entertainment (TV sucked because of DSTV repeats) was the heart rate monitor alerting the staff to a low heart rate all the time because how fit I for I was.

Lesson learning, dont ride P**S HARD while sick, it's just not worth it.

Correction made. 

Doctor doctor!!!! 

Remember the doctor is not always right...A good doctor will be more righter than a bad doctor, but not rightest all the time. They are human afterall.

The doctor in this pic is indirectly responsible for hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths.

She's no longer with us, as she self medicated with Johnnie Walker in tremendous amounts. They couldn't find strong enough livers quickly enough.

m_040215st_709aad19652cd911f1581a7909093

So, not a doctor? Just another person with his/her own opinion?

As far as I know, you can't get antibiotics without a doctor's prescription. Did your mate get it from a doc and tell his doc that he is going to run the Comrades?

It's the same as saying I'm not a Gynea, but I'll have a look as I've seen a few...

Funny how we all know better than doctors who studied a few years because we've read some stuff on the internet. Fact, if you Google your symptoms chances are you've got Cancer.

An expert's opinion is much better than some random on the internet who has read some stuff somewhere. Or am I mistaken?

My point is, if my doc says don't train, then I won't. If my doc gives me the all clear, who gives an internet boffin the right to say he's wrong?

Must be. Lots of Googlers (Google based knowledge) on here.

By that rule, one should follow everything the people with the most posts as the law of life.

ever heard of multiquote?

I hope it isn't a trend of ignorance I see here.

So what that people google? My best lecturer for my qualifications has been google so...

Edited by Dirkitect

Hey guys

I had to sit in isolation for 12 days with two massive drips on my arm. It was painful and super boring. My only real entertainment (TV sucked because of DSTV repeats) was the heart rate monitor alerting the staff to a low heart rate all the time because how fit I was.

Lesson learned, dont ride while sick, it's just not worth it.

Yusses that's rough. Proper horror story. 

REALLY FAST I would not wait till Wednesday - I would wait till at least the weekend.

And then don't klap it - just take it easy.

Just don't take the chance it is not worth it and for what.

The problem is that you could do yourself some harm but it will not be evident to you now but catch up on you at a later stage.

Stoli you are just way out of line and a danger to yourself - you are less than a 100 never mind a 1000(posts)

Edited by porqui

Btw Stoli. Google (if used correctly) is a fount of wisdom and knowledge. Don't dismiss something you don't understand just because it's new to you and you want to protect your chosen viewpoint a little too vociferously.

Yes, that was an assumption. But one based on your posts here, and assuming you've only seen the negative side of google doctorates.

Fwiw. Google is how I (and people far more intelligent than I) get access to people far more intelligent and / or informed than I. How people should be expanding their knowledge base and challenging their beliefs / "known facts"

Don't dismiss it out of hand cos you, or those you've come in to contact with, have used it irresponsibly or fallen foul of those who would seek to misinform.

Edited by Myles Mayhew