FARR Gravel Frame-Kits - Cromo Frame and Fork

Farrnus

might need to park it at your place too!

Avoid your divorce but lead to mine?! If only we knew a guy who could help us with secure storage..........

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are in luck - the S ( 50cm seattube ) is gonna be a good fit  :clap:  :clap:

AAAAH sheeeeeet  :D

I've got one of these beauties.... Honestly it's my favourite bike... My road bike has been gathering cobwebs since I got my Farr. I even took it down a bit of the xc course at cascades this weekend.. Now just to wait for those aero storage units [emoji7]f6627f24420eafb40628f8d475df2fcc.jpg4aec910241ded2f37db7af9b888bbce8.jpg1a075e21b4969693167d7efd24e77dca.jpg

I've got one of these beauties.... Honestly it's my favourite bike... My road bike has been gathering cobwebs since I got my Farr. I even took it down a bit of the xc course at cascades this weekend.. Now just to wait for those aero storage units [emoji7]f6627f24420eafb40628f8d475df2fcc.jpg4aec910241ded2f37db7af9b888bbce8.jpg1a075e21b4969693167d7efd24e77dca.jpg

great pics - thanks for sharing.

So why go for one of these Cromo builds rather than for something like a Momsen GP500?  

Is the cromo frame realy that much nicer than a Alu frame?  

Just asking because I have been looking at the different bikes available in the 20 - 25 K bracket and by looking at the components it seems as if the other options might be better than the FARR's? (and cost less also)

So why go for one of these Cromo builds rather than for something like a Momsen GP500?

Is the cromo frame realy that much nicer than a Alu frame?

Just asking because I have been looking at the different bikes available in the 20 - 25 K bracket and by looking at the components it seems as if the other options might be better than the FARR's? (and cost less also)

Steel is real ;)

Quite simply put though, when something does not have suspension there is no other material that can compare to the ride quality of a steel bike. Obviously there is a bit more to that statement like the type of steel used, how it is put together, etc... on which I cannot comment when it come to Farr. But this looks like a pretty awesome deal to me, especially if you want to go the custom build route.

There would be one in my garage right now if it wouldn't have come with an instant divorce.

Really wish my finances would allow it. Unfortunately my bantam decided to give problems and my son is costing a small fortune at the moment.

No way I could swing it unless I sell some body parts!

May not be a bad idea, haha!!!

Steel is real ;)

Quite simply put though, when something does not have suspension there is no other material that can compare to the ride quality of a steel bike. Obviously there is a bit more to that statement like the type of steel used, how it is put together, etc... on which I cannot comment when it come to Farr. But this looks like a pretty awesome deal to me, especially if you want to go the custom build route.

There would be one in my garage right now if it wouldn't have come with an instant divorce.

I am not convinced ....?  If the Cromo suspension is so great then why does the next model up offer a Carbon fork?  Wouldn't a full carbon frame such as the Titan switch then be a FARR better option at a similiar (lower) price? 

I am looking at the best investment for something I can ride and enjoy for the next 10 years and hence all the queries.   

Steel has better fatigue characteristics than alu. It doesn't work harden as quick (or at all) as alu. So if 10y is your thinking. Steel would be it. The fork I think is a bit of a compromise/gain. Carbon for weigh. But more jarring ride. I ride a steel commuter daily. It's comfrikkenpletely different to my alu roadie.

Yoh okes share fake news hard on here!

Look, Ashchest, the carbon Titan switch with hydro 11 speen at 30 odd K is amazing.

A steel bike is a steel bike. It has better ride characteristics and fatigue stresses than Alu. A well made carbon fork will reduce weight and chatter due to carbon weave and direction. 

Is a carbon bike 'better' than a steel one? Maybe for an out and out racer.

I have a steel frame/fork cotic escapade and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for any piece of bike shaped tupperware in the world.

You need to buy what makes you happy. If steel doesn't move you, don;t buy it. You will never be convinced and will always ogle over the weight and what you could have.

Steel bikes are passion. If you don't buy into that then don't. The FARR complete carbon bike for 35k is also supreme bang for buck currently.

Yoh okes share fake news hard on here!

Look, Ashchest, the carbon Titan switch with hydro 11 speen at 30 odd K is amazing.

A steel bike is a steel bike. It has better ride characteristics and fatigue stresses than Alu. A well made carbon fork will reduce weight and chatter due to carbon weave and direction. 

Is a carbon bike 'better' than a steel one? Maybe for an out and out racer.

I have a steel frame/fork cotic escapade and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for any piece of bike shaped tupperware in the world.

You need to buy what makes you happy. If steel doesn't move you, don;t buy it. You will never be convinced and will always ogle over the weight and what you could have.

Steel bikes are passion. If you don't buy into that then don't. The FARR complete carbon bike for 35k is also supreme bang for buck currently.

tks - agree, #steelisreal and it will never be lighter or an alternative to carbon if you are looking for super light, gravel-racer.

but if you looking for comfort + durability then STEEL/CROMO is the way to go!

our frames use a custom-butted tube set , all the info can be viewed on the below technical drawing, some nice touches include the 31.6 seatpost ( more MTB like and makes it possible for dropper post etc... if you wanted to get ROWDY ) , internal routing on some cables, taper head tube with taller length, curved seat stays further complimenting Steel's natural feel and compliance.

best guess would be a custom build would be in the R25k to R30k mark - you can easily source SRAM from your local bike shop - the local importers ( Cape Cycle Systems ) have a full range of cranksets, brakes, shifters, derailleurs etc in stock. you can save some bucks by using Sunrace Cassette / KMC Chain etc. 

post-121972-0-35355200-1561009433_thumb.jpg

I am not convinced ....? If the Cromo suspension is so great then why does the next model up offer a Carbon fork? Wouldn't a full carbon frame such as the Titan switch then be a FARR better option at a similiar (lower) price?

I am looking at the best investment for something I can ride and enjoy for the next 10 years and hence all the queries.

Like many okes have said, carbon is better if you are looking for a out and out race bike. And yes, the Titan is stupidly good balue for money, you complete for less than than you could the components alone. So if that's what makes you excited, go that route.

But in terms of comfort, nothing comes close to steel (except Ti?). Nothing I say will convince you of that - riding a steel bike will though. But also, like others have said, if that's not what floats your boat, and you are after pure value for money and a light build - buy the Titan because nothing else is even in the same galaxy when it comes to price.

I am not convinced ....? If the Cromo suspension is so great then why does the next model up offer a Carbon fork? Wouldn't a full carbon frame such as the Titan switch then be a FARR better option at a similiar (lower) price?

If you still want to ride it in 10years the steel frame is a no-brainer.

Carbon and ali will fatigue.

Thanks for all the input.   I did ride a Cromo 30 years ago, but that is way to farr behind me to remember and since then it has been alu double and tripple butted.   I need to get a new machine and I am no race snake as much as I would like to be, but only compete riding against myself.  250km / week and 2 to 3 hour rides and perhaps 2  or 3  x 100 to 150 km events per year is what I am after and am just looking for something that will do the job comfortably and most important reliably.

Believe me, with the family and 2 small boys I am actually not in the position to spend money on a new bike and should just stick with my MTB and ride it for another 10 years - but the trails are not doing it that much for me anymore and nowadays I find myself looking for longer road and gravel routes to escape to.

So if it depends on my wife , a R 8000 bike should be sufficient, but based on specs and knowing myself, I find the R20K region to offer the right stuff that will pull me through, and the FARR Cromo is definately one of the options, although it is currently going for a 3 - 4 K above the likes of Silex 400, GP 500 and the Switch -   So I am currently doing alot of research and thinking and try to see and feel as many of the potential bikes as possible to help me with the decision.    :thumbup: