Ibis Mojo HD4 - too much bike

New2ride2015

Hi, and welcome to Bike Hub

As an avid Ibis supporter...

Ibis tends to design their bikes with a light bias towards getting around on it. So not crazy DH orientated. The HD, SL-R, Ripley all got great reviews for their pedaling and all-round ability which I think is perfect for local conditions.

I don't think the HD 4 is THAT much bike, especially when compared to other bikes with the same travel that are slacker and aimed at gnarlier riding. You could (and most likely should) consider a Ripley or even Mojo3. From what you've described I reckon those two will be closer to what you want and both will be able to to romp in the miles. The Mojo3 is a GREAT bike. 

I can second this reply, I have the Ripley LS V3. it "only" has 130mm on the front and 120mm in the rear, climbs like a goat and I'm now using it for the WP enduro series. All I do to "enduro" it up is to slap on a DHF 2.5 on the front and a Aggressor 2.5 on the rear. Roll on spring with more XC type races I go back to the Nobbly Nics on it and Bob's your uncle. 

Pretty sure my lack of talent will be the limiting factor and not the bike. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, don't go overseas. If you need to warranty anything you are gonna cry. I'm not against overseas in general, but for this type of purchase I wouldn't do it.

For wheels you have endless options. A good place to start is some Hope Pro 4 hubs, rims - maybe looks at Spank Oozy Trail 345, Stans Flow, or cSixx END Or XCM if you have the cash and wanna splash out on carbon.

Yea thats so true cheers. Wheels I have been looking at the Flow mk3 for ages so would probably end up with those and hope 4's. 

I can second this reply, I have the Ripley LS V3. it "only" has 130mm on the front and 120mm in the rear, climbs like a goat and I'm now using it for the WP enduro series. All I do to "enduro" it up is to slap on a DHF 2.5 on the front and a Aggressor 2.5 on the rear. Roll on spring with more XC type races I go back to the Nobbly Nics on it and Bob's your uncle. 

Pretty sure my lack of talent will be the limiting factor and not the bike. 

After spending the whole night on forums and watching reviews I'm also even leaning towards really liking the look of the mojo 3. I do tyre swaps pretty much for the same effect on my Trance. Running a Ikon 2.35 rear and Ardent Race front for greenbelts then swapping to DHF 2.3 front and Aggressor rear. Have two sets of stock giant wheels makes it easier with tubeless. Just would love to try a wider rim for those 2.5's for sure! 

160mm Mattoc on the front. DONE. 

Re offshore fork purchases - the guys overseas are really, really good with warranty work. Thermophage (on here) has got a Mattoc, and had a warranty issue a while back. Proper communication went back and forth, pictures etc and all was sorted. Essentially just the shipping time that you need to account for, which is almost the same as over here, anyway. 

Plus - in my opinion - the Mattoc is the bitch's tits. Easily outperforms the Pike gen 1 & 2 (not sure about the Debonair version, haven't tried yet) as well as a Pike with the Luftkappe.

Plus, it's cheap!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/manitou-mattoc-pro-2-forks-15mm-2017/rp-prod149017

You're looking at ~8,500 landed, for a brand new fork with proper performance.  Compared to the price you'd pay for the equivalent 36 / lyrik / pike / yari, it's a STEAL. 

Re the Mojo... I've ridden the Mojo SLR and the HD. Flippin fun bikes, and I'd say they're a very capable trail bike that loves to pedal. Responsive, super flickable and they just feel alive. Closest bike that has come to it is the Banshee Spitfire, but the Spitfire is more composed on the rough stuff (IMO). That very well may have changed with the HD4. Would I say that it's a *better* bike than a well set up trance with 160 at the front? Maybe. But IMO it doesn't warrant the cost of the upgrade. 

Bang a set of wide rims on the trance, slap the Mattoc (or pike / 36 / MRP) on the front, and get ready for the fun. It really will transform the bike. 

Re offshore fork purchases - the guys overseas are really, really good with warranty work. Thermophage (on here) has got a Mattoc, and had a warranty issue a while back. Proper communication went back and forth, pictures etc and all was sorted. Essentially just the shipping time that you need to account for, which is almost the same as over here, anyway.

The thing that has always put me off overseas purchases of things I may have to warrantybis more shipping cost than time, but from your post I'm assuming it wasn't really an issue? Do they send their own couriers to pick up?

If that is the case, OP, ignore my comments about not buying a fork overseas. Just for your info - when I bought my Hope hubs I bought them from Chain Reaction for about 45% of the price I could get them locally - so it is well worth it in some cases.

As for the whole new bike thing - the Trance is very capable and the uogrades will make it even more so. BUT, if the new bike itch is there and nothing is going to take that away, don't spend money on upgrading the Trance just to sell it a few months later.

These new breed of short travel all mountain bikes are extremely capable and versatile. I've moved from a 140mm travel bike to one of the newer breed of 120mm trail bikes (Endurod up with some thick tekkies and a lekker fork), and I can honestly say I've never yet felt undergunned on our trails (doing Ezel Enduro on it later this year), yet I would still be comfortable pedalling long 80km days on it. I haven't ridden the Ibis, but I hage a feeling it will behave in much the same way.

So, in short, upgrading your Trance will transform it and make it probably as capable as any bike out there. But if you really want a new bike (that's all the justification you need), the get it - the Ibis will be a good fit!

This is what you want make your Trance into...

Used to be mine (well my wife's) now my mates ride.....

Mattoc Fork -  160mm front travel -The MuttsNuts!

RS Monarch RT3 Debonair - 200x57 - Around 157mm rear travel

30mm Easton Arc rims

Its a proper shredder and can do all day rides with ease!

post-69707-0-73572200-1529648368_thumb.jpg

post-69707-0-68089200-1529648375_thumb.jpg

Also did you change the shock when you changed the fork?

No need for that.

Oh, to counter the slackening effect of a longer fork, I moved the seat forward.

Other than that all you need do is pick up the bike and rail it hard.

Don't let analysis paralysis and the upgrade itch steal your riding joy. The fork will make a huge difference, wider rims will be marginal gains.

No matter what people tell you, you can't buy a lot of performance gains.

No, you have to send back to them, but there are cheap and easy ways to do that, and the whole process was over pretty quickly if I remember correctly.

If you're getting a (really easy to service) KILLER fork for ~half the cost of the competition, I think the cost of a courier / Postnet to them won't be an issue, IF you need to warranty something.

The thing that has always put me off overseas purchases of things I may have to warrantybis more shipping cost than time, but from your post I'm assuming it wasn't really an issue? Do they send their own couriers to pick up?

Plus - in my opinion - the Mattoc is the bitch's tits. Easily outperforms the Pike gen 1 & 2 (not sure about the Debonair version, haven't tried yet) as well as a Pike with the Luftkappe.

Plus, it's cheap!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/manitou-mattoc-pro-2-forks-15mm-2017/rp-prod149017

You're looking at ~8,500 landed, for a brand new fork with proper performance.  Compared to the price you'd pay for the equivalent 36 / lyrik / pike / yari, it's a STEAL. 

Re the Mojo... I've ridden the Mojo SLR and the HD. Flippin fun bikes, and I'd say they're a very capable trail bike that loves to pedal. Responsive, super flickable and they just feel alive. Closest bike that has come to it is the Banshee Spitfire, but the Spitfire is more composed on the rough stuff (IMO). That very well may have changed with the HD4. Would I say that it's a *better* bike than a well set up trance with 160 at the front? Maybe. But IMO it doesn't warrant the cost of the upgrade. 

Bang a set of wide rims on the trance, slap the Mattoc (or pike / 36 / MRP) on the front, and get ready for the fun. It really will transform the bike. 

Thanks for this. I do order stuff mostly from chain reaction so will take a look on there too anything besides clothing (import tax) usually works really. R8500 +/- landed would be epic. 

This is what you want make your Trance into...

Used to be mine (well my wife's) now my mates ride.....

Mattoc Fork -  160mm front travel -The MuttsNuts!

RS Monarch RT3 Debonair - 200x57 - Around 157mm rear travel

30mm Easton Arc rims

Its a proper shredder and can do all day rides with ease!

Thats awesome! Cheers for the post and pics! Def keen on the fork and wheel upgrade for now! 

No need for that.

Oh, to counter the slackening effect of a longer fork, I moved the seat forward.

Other than that all you need do is pick up the bike and rail it hard.

Don't let analysis paralysis and the upgrade itch steal your riding joy. The fork will make a huge difference, wider rims will be marginal gains.

No matter what people tell you, you can't buy a lot of performance gains.

Ok cool yea thats what I was wondering (balance the bike out) but will keep the back stock as I've had no problems with it what so ever and feels great out back. Yea the fork upgrade I'm sure will make the most difference wheels I would like to just run bigger volume tyres (dhf 2.5) to see what they are like. Thanks 

haha I'm on 27.5 at the moment and never ridden 29 but hear good things. Will take a look at the bikes mentioned above! Thanks for the reply! 

I've owned a couple of 29'ers and 8 months ago bought a 27.5 to grow the family. It was a brilliant decision. In fact so much so that I've put one of the 29'ers up for adoption.

I've owned a couple of 29'ers and 8 months ago bought a 27.5 to grow the family. It was a brilliant decision. In fact so much so that I've put one of the 29'ers up for adoption.

yea I love my 27.5 I would probably go 29er on a more race orientated xc bike if I get one someday. Im sure they are just as good on the DH style bikes seeing the world cup riders all heading that way. 

yea I love my 27.5 I would probably go 29er on a more race orientated xc bike if I get one someday. Im sure they are just as good on the DH style bikes seeing the world cup riders all heading that way. 

Get hold of Wayne Schell of "Ride Rate Review" on YouTube. He has an HD4 and I think a video review on his channel. As others have said, Ibis' all pedal very well and the HD4 continues that tradition, but is more DH oriented than its predecessors. 

Awesome shot, will do that! 

Get hold of Wayne Schell of "Ride Rate Review" on YouTube. He has an HD4 and I think a video review on his channel. As others have said, Ibis' all pedal very well and the HD4 continues that tradition, but is more DH oriented than its predecessors. 

Archived