Mark Raubenheimer

Jacoo

Guys you are flipping awesome. Thanks so much for everyones input. Not letting this go till he gets what he deserves and i get my wheels or the money. The bikehub community never disappoints!

Are you going to follow any of the advice to go report it at the cops and open a case of theft against him? 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying not to be one of those rabid torch bearing mobbers but it's difficult when the "buyer" has both the wheels AND the money with the "seller"" having sweet fanny adams.

Pigeon racing?! maybe Poulidor is involved!

Adri van der Poel (cycling) - Pigeon pie

Cycling has had more than its share of doping controversies, but excuses do not come more outlandish than Dutchman Van der Poel's in 1983 after he who tested positive for strychnine, which acts as a stimulant when used in small doses. He blamed it on a pigeon pie served for Sunday lunch. Little did he know, Van der Poel explained, that the birds were his father-in-law's racing pigeons which had been doped with strychnine. Van der Poel came back, won several one-day classics and two Tour de France stages, and eventually retired in 2000.

Guys you are flipping awesome. Thanks so much for everyones input. Not letting this go till he gets what he deserves and i get my wheels or the money. The bikehub community never disappoints!

well you did tell him on WhatsApp not to F#$% with you. 

obviously you can't let it go after that.

Also please take a video of the  sh\t storm  when it comes.

A standard textbook Lawyers Letter to him might do the job, they generally are experts at being nasty and intimidating to achieve the clients purposes, of course most of it is a ploy. Perhaps time to make some law student friends?

But report it to SAPS anyway, wont cost you anything except time.

To repeat, truing wheels is a maintenance task, especially after shipping. I've even trued a wheel which was so out of shape the wheel wouldn't turn in the frame, that was after the bike was latched down on top of trailer and after a very bumpy ride.

Are you going to follow any of the advice to go report it at the cops and open a case of theft against him?

You bet i am. Ive contacted a lawyer, (a practicing lawyer, not a student), and will continue with a case if he doesn't comply.

Sounds like this character has likely had his fair share of “Lawyers Letters”. Probably uses them to wipe the *** from the corners of his mouth.

well you did tell him on WhatsApp not to F#$% with you.

obviously you can't let it go after that.

Also please take a video of the sh\t storm when it comes.

Absolutely, have to stay true to my word ;) i might like revenge and justice a little too much to just let this go. Wish i was in kzn to make this easy since i even have his address. Also, 4k is 4k, thats like a month of food and petrol for me

Sounds like this character has likely had his fair share of “Lawyers Letters”. Probably uses them to wipe the *** from the corners of his mouth.

Also true, but how hard can it be? Hes not even hiding :/

Also true, but how hard can it be? Hes not even hiding :/

Keep the crimes small enough and people usually are too motivated and give up.

But seems he has met his match with you.

Absolutely, have to stay true to my word ;) i might like revenge and justice a little too much to just let this go. Wish i was in kzn to make this easy since i even have his address. Also, 4k is 4k, thats like a month of food and petrol for me

Return tickets to Durban and renting a small car will be +-R1200, cheaper if you catch the right deals.

money well spend if you get to (insert whatever revenge act you feel necessary).

and you get to have a beer overlooking the ocean before leaving happy justice was served

now i need to go to bed a reset the rage that RSA has managed to illicit in me today. 

tomorrow i promise i will be a happier person.

I know of the following instances people have had with him:

He got a bad review on bikehub, his only review. Also about a wheelset. Dont know the story but bad reviews are undoubtedly uncommon so i can only guess.

I spoke to a guy (he phoned me after seeing this thread) that has a bike shop down in durbs and hes dealt with mark before. He referred to mark as "properly dodgy" and said that he took a cannondale part from the shop and they never saw it again.

As mention earlier by user gurns, he was even at this 20 years ago. Mark is 65 apparently. He has a decking company too as far as i know, i assume thats where the timber was involved.

Just received another pm telling me about him trying to pull a similar thing with just a stem that he bought. He tried to flake but since the guy is also from kzn he found him and it didnt work.

I can guarantee there are more stories, these are just some that people told me about after they happened to see this topic on bikehub.

Clayton, you cant deny that this guy is a crook just because youve dealt with him. Hes weird, in the way that hes not your typical scammer. He doesn't use fake details and acts like he has nothing to hide. He doesnt try to scam every single person but he definitely gets a kick from wasting weeks or months of someones time, and using little things of which some are lies to try and extort you for it. Honestly one of the strangest situations ive been in with this sort of thing. He honestly things hes untouchable.

Im an engineering student guys, im clueless when it comes to civil claims and all that. What does it cost? This guy cant keep getting away with stuff like this.

This is definitely the guy that took me for my timber; You have jogged my memory, he did own a decking company and that is what he was using the Eucalyptus planks for.

i will be phoning him now that I have his contact number again. Thanks.

I will put some money towards your plane ticket if you get the urge to fly down and confront him.

Please get the urge !!

So heres the update... He is now claiming that he has paid R530 for transport and truing of the wheels so far (which i know is nonsense) and that he wont return the wheels until i pay him that. The guy who trued the (one) wheel actually phoned me after seeing this thread, and i asked him about the costs and confirmed he is lying. Also only trued one wheel. Also bearing in mind that he agreed from the very start to cover all costs, and that everything he paid was his own decision. The guy who trued the wheel did confirm the small bump in the wheel as mark is saying, but he says its completely exaggerated and that the wheel is absolutely usable.

This is where things gets interesting. Mark loves to use excuses to turn things onto me. Such as always keeping me blocked on whatsapp at all times apart from the few seconds every few days where he messages me and then blocks me again. His excuse for this is that i am rude and that i use abusive language.

When we were still on friendly terms before i realised that hes a scammer he told me many times that he did not worry about the fact that i tried to scam him when i told him i wasnt aware of the bump in the wheel. We agreed that i was obviously not trying to hide something since i sent it without any payment, something noone would do who was trying to rip someone off. This has all changed apparently because now he says i was trying to scam him by sending him the defective wheel.

I got these wheels with the intention of relacing them to hubs that will work on my bike (not a lefty), but i never found affordable 24 hole hubs, i was really clueless about hubs back then and didnt know its not a common standard. He says im lying about that too, but if you go look at my posts on bikehub you'll see me looking for wheel builders back in march, and i mentioned that i gave up on looking for hubs.

It looks like he is now gonna try and sue me for defamation because of this thread???? he is super upset about it. He says it "wont go unpunished". Should i be worried? Even says hes giving the wheels to the SAPS for evidence.

Ill send the screenshots, just bear in mind hes blatantly lying about quite a few of his "facts".

I've considered paying the 530 for school fees but i really feel like he still wont send the wheels even if i pay his ransom.

I might need a few people's statements or testimonials or whatever you call it of this guy if it really turns into a court case.. But with his case compared to mine I feel like i dont even need a lawyer???? dont know what he wants to go on

Archived