Help with Mtb shifters and road cranks

Gurus pse help.

Customer has a road bike ( beautifull old Look Hinault KG 76 model ) but due to customers age he can not ride on the drops. He wants a mtb bar . He gave me a set of Shimano Cera 9 speed mtb shifters .

Bike has Shimano 9 x 3 road cranks.

I got the rear sorted but on the front the chain goes up using all 3 gears but going down does not work. Either does not go down or goes 2 down with one click

My logic ? tells me that it wont work because the release on the left shifter gives a greater gap than the spacing on the front chainrings.

Solution ?

Thanks

The Mtb front shifter pulls more cable than the road shifter. You can jippo it work by leaving a lot of cable slack when on the small ring. Better to get a flat bar shifter, FDR443A if I remember correctly. The Campagnolo Xenon triple or old Record triple would also work better on account of the longer pivot that cuts down the movement of the cage.

Regards

I dont know any MTB shiters but Tom Dumoulin is a famous road shiter.

(sorry :)...just could not resist)

Sram has the same ratio front and rear for road/mtb(the older stuff anyway). Maybe put on a Sram front derailleur+shifter.

Rather get a set of road flat bar shifters (9sp Sora) and flat bar brakes.  Not only is the MTB/Road FD a problem but linear pull MTB brakes and road calipers have different brake cable pull as well.

Rather get a set of road flat bar shifters (9sp Sora) and flat bar brakes. Not only is the MTB/Road FD a problem but linear pull MTB brakes and road calipers have different brake cable pull as well.

What he said. There are dedicated flat bar shifters for road groupsets, get the right parts for the job and you'll have no hassles.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I dont know any MTB shiters but Tom Dumoulin is a famous road

(sorry :)...just could not resist)

Sam Gaze jumps to mind...He is quite the MTB shite of late.

I have done this on my wife's bike, Make sure to use Gear 2-3 if you have 3 speed shifters on a 2 speed crank.

I have a 105 FD and OLD 9 speed SLX shifters.

Shift from 1 -2 Cable pulls quite a bit, shift from 2-3 pulls the right amount.

I have SLX 2/3 speed shifters for sale if you interested.

Archived