Is the real road bike dead

Eugene

Reading various topics and discussions on this site, I've come to the conclusion that real road bikes are dead.

Road bikes were all about speed. Comfort took the back seat and the riders were tougher for it.

Now we are seeing 1x drive trains on road bikes, rediculously large cassettes and compact chainrings to make climbing easier, big tyres to make the ride more comfortable and disc brakes.

What I can see is that road bikes are starting to morph into mountain bikes.

If you want a bike with fat tyres, dinner plate cassettes and disc brakes, get a hardtail mountain bike.

Let road bikes go back to the their roots as stiff, lightweight speed machines where comfort is secondary to speed and strong legs get you up the hill fast.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading various topics and discussions on this site, I've come to the conclusion that real road bikes are dead.

Road bikes were all about speed. Comfort took the back seat and the riders were tougher for it.

Now we are seeing 1x drive trains on road bikes, rediculously large cassettes and compact chainrings to make climbing easier, big tyres to make the ride more comfortable and disc brakes.

If you want a bike with fat tyres, dinner plate cassettes and disc brakes, get a hardtail mountain bike.

Let road bikes go back to the their roots as stiff, lightweight speed machines where comfort is secondary to speed and strong legs get you up the hill fast.

Wot??????

http://www.businessinsider.com/cannondale-system-six-fastest-bike-tour-de-france-2018-6?IR=T

But why? If technology allows you to be both fast, and comfortable, why would you choose to be uncomfortable for the sake of being uncomfortable?

Yeah, that's the dumbest thing I have ever read...

Tell you what, I will race you on the road bike, I will be on the new Spez Venge with DISC brakes (sponsored of course as I can't afford one) and you can ride a carbon Spez SL2 from 2010 and see who wins.

Huge amounts of money and time have gone into making modern road bikes the fastest they can be - plus, the new bikes are certainly not super comfortable; they are made for racing. If you want a bike which is comfortable, buy yourself a steel frame.

It's all about the sales pitch.The masses will always want ride what the Pro riders ride.There always be those that will want to ride what they are comfortable with :whistling:   :eek: I ride what i'm comfortable with  :thumbup:

Yeah, that's the dumbest thing I have ever read...

Tell you what, I will race you on the road bike, I will be on the new Spez Venge with DISC brakes (sponsored of course as I can't afford one) and you can ride a carbon Spez SL2 from 2010 and see who wins.

Huge amounts of money and time have gone into making modern road bikes the fastest they can be - plus, the new bikes are certainly not super comfortable; they are made for racing. If you want a bike which is comfortable, buy yourself a steel frame.

Someone once said...."It's not about the bike"

Someone once said...."It's not about the bike"

ya don't waste money on a bike, rather buy better drugs

when did road bikes become less stiff to the point that you perceive them as not being stiff?

Do you live on a different planet?

I think the road bike industry has advanced significantly with offering more comfortable options. If you are a racing snake, there are ample options to choose from. If you are a weekend warrior that likes to be perched and comfy instead of low and slippery, there are ample options to choose from as well. There is literally something for every kind of rider these days. 

when did road bikes become less stiff to the point that you perceive them as not being stiff?

Do you live on a different planet?

Where did you see anything about bikes getting less stiff?

Road roots were heavy, floppy, thin gauge steel frames that turned corners by themselves if you pedaled hard enough. Comfy as your 10 year old slippers.

With that kind of logic, please stop using the internet, rather go back to using carrier pigeons.

In fact all further responses should be sent in by pigeon.

You do know gravel bikes aren't what normal road bikes are like neh? They are the mutants you are referring to 

What you missed is that the wider tires are not just for comfort. They are also faster. The additional suspension reduces the rolling resistance. If you want to go for an option that increases the resistance so you can be a hard man, be my guest.

Archived