Is the real road bike dead

Eugene

I get your point about the modern day supercars, but whenever a super version of that super car is created (normally as a special edition) those creature comforts, driver aids etc are removed. Why do the always switch traction control off to get better lap times?

90% of us would be faster with TC on.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an attempt to create an argument, simply an observation of what I see being discussed on the Hub and wondering what other people think.

Seems as if my comments have hit a nerve. I didn't actually expect that. I was expecting some comments but not this aggressive.

I realise that there are many options out there, but are people buying them. Are people buying bikes with 23/12 at the back or going for the WiFli option.

Invovation vs demand is a different thing. Are people wanting easier ratios because of Invovation or because it's easier to get up a hill.

It all depends on your definition of "real man". If to you "real man" means riding an early 90s Cannondale bone shaker and rolling a 53/42 with a 12-21 drive and 18mm clinchers pumped to 10 bar then there are no longer any "real men".

Nowadays, thanks to technology, we can ride bikes that are more comfortable AND faster than my example above.

Sure there is an element of riders getting softer - carbon road emotorbike wouldn't exist if not for soft humans.

Bottom line - road bikes are not getting "softer" - there is just way more choice. You can buy a bike that provides a way stiffer sprinting platform than my example above or an endurance bike which offers all day comfort.

I am so glad my status of being a "real man" is not defined by what bike I ride. In my books, if you can shoot straight (accurately) and ride a horse, you are a man.

...failing that, next time you take a p*ss, you should be able to confirm that elusive status.

Where did you see anything about bikes getting less stiff?

op's words were:

"Let road bikes go back to the their roots as stiff", thus modern bikes are not stiff accordingly

Wind Up Wednesday is a good thing. Friday popcorn sessions are getting boring.

I've been here since the beginning of The Hub, so definitely not my last post.

Posting for the sake of posting is counter productive and a very poor caveman trait to train

Agreed.

I stand by my feeling about your post. . . 

post-51185-0-03203200-1528441319.jpg

I am so glad my status of being a "real man" is not defined by what bike I ride. In my books, if you can shoot straight (accurately) and ride a horse, you are a man.

...failing that, next time you take a p*ss, you should be able to confirm that elusive status.

Last week the definition of a real man was washing your own bike. This week you need down tube shifters. In November it will be those who ride the 947 on knobblies. In Jan/Feb/March it will be those who sit on the front and do all the work in AL/BL/CL/DL and post March it will those who still have Epic stickers on their bikes, that they have been unable to wash off themselves, go figure.

Edited by Patchelicious

Just a silly post... The days of looking hardcore while grinding up hills in the big ring, doped to the eyeballs cyclists that look like wrestlers, thinking that stiffer is faster, are gone.

Thank god.

New is better. In basically every way except for the comfort that an old steel frame provides.. But that's at the sacrifice of stiffness, so you'll never win on the properly hardcore scale - unless you're Tony Martin.

I have reread your post, doesn't seem to contain much in the way of "asking for other's opinions", more a blanket statement based on your opinion.

Innovation isn't a monster, it can be a good thing, doesn't make us less manly for using it. 

Again, your logic could be spread to cycling computers. . . Why use GPS, when getting lost is way more manly

technology evolves, as does the research and research techniques.

Have a look at supercars. They used to be hardcore road going versions of race cars that would bite you in the ass if you even thought about doing something stupid, you had to be really hardcore to drive them every day, now you can climb into the latest supercar as a learner driver, drive it to the shops without worrying about killing yourself and everyone around you, it can be used every day and doesnt require you to use a kidney belt to drive.

Yet they will annihilate almost every super car from the 90's with ease.

I get your point about the modern day supercars, but whenever a super version of that super car is created (normally as a special edition) those creature comforts, driver aids etc are removed. Why do they always switch traction control off to get better lap times?

I get your point about the modern day supercars, but whenever a super version of that super car is created (normally as a special edition) those creature comforts, driver aids etc are removed. Why do the always switch traction control off to get better lap times?

why do the pros switch to more hardcore TT bikes when doing TT ? 

Why are track bikes fixies ?

Those special editions are limited run vehicles for the more hardcore enthusiast. Much like you can make your bike more hardcore by running 1x10 gearing or single speed.

why do they turn TC off ? because as mentioned, 90% of us would be quicker with it on, but the 10% can do better with it off (or at least think they can) .

The argument has been put forward earlier that in the past only the hardcore guys rode road bikes, now everyone can ride one.

Eugene, do you also drive an old porsche without airbags, without your seatbelt on while speeding in a residential zone?

You didnt hit a single one of my nerves about "real bikes" I dont think such a thing exists, only different bikes.

Agressive??? Come on that wasn't even nearly agressive, you want to talk about riding "real bikes" like real tough men, but then you go and see that post of mine as aggressive? So are you saying that your ass can take more punishment than your eyes and brain?

​Edit: Put in comic sans before people take it all too seriously.

I wasn't referring to your specific post as aggressive. I was referring to the posts in general.

I wasn't referring to your specific post as aggressive. I was referring to the posts in general.

LOL... yet the tone of your OP wasn't condescending?.... which in all likelihood will give the rebuke you don't like.... damn, must be a slow day.... roll on Friday.... 

I have reread your post, doesn't seem to contain much in the way of "asking for other's opinions", more a blanket statement based on your opinion.

Innovation isn't a monster, it can be a good thing, doesn't make us less manly for using it.

Again, your logic could be spread to cycling computers. . . Why use GPS, when getting lost is way more manly

Never used GPS on my bike, I've also never been lost.

So for me to cough up all that money for a GPS so I don't get lost would be a waste of my money.

Where did I refer to your term "real man." I did not at any point give any opinion on what a real man is or what he should ride. Comment all you want on my post, but don't accuse me of saying something I didn't. Edited by Eugene