Stripped crank

Dorpie

Hey guys,

I've picked up an XT crank from a mate that had managed to strip both pedal threads ????.

Is there anyone who knows how I can get these fixed or if there is anyone who can put inserts in?

I've heard that helicoils work but are not very strong, What's your opinion?

Feedback would be great.

Cheers

D

Hey guys,

I've picked up an XT crank from a mate that had managed to strip both pedal threads ????.

Is there anyone who knows how I can get these fixed or if there is anyone who can put inserts in?

I've heard that helicoils work but are not very strong, What's your opinion?

Feedback would be great.

Cheers

D

Any machine shop can put inserts in - they are much better than helicoils.

Don't bother. Honestly it's not worth the effort. Any repair will be very temporary. Probably no more than a couple of rides. Then you take some air and the pedal pops out on the landing.

You can pick up a 2nd hand replacement fairly cheaply.

Yeah I would just replace it. Go for something like Lyne if you wanna go for a new crank - really top quality and affordable.

How did he manage to strip both?

Edited by I_my_own_bike

Left pedal in right crank, right pedal in left crank. Add brute force and ..voila!

You'd think he learnt his lesson after the first crank went hahaha

If its not stripped bad, any good cycle shop should be able to clean up the thread for you. You get a special tool from park tools for the job.

Edited by floatfox

Any good machine shop can fix them and they will be as good as new. If I had to choose between fixing and replacing, I would replace them.

The only propper fix would be to have them welded up, new holes drilled and tapped, but I'd just look for a second hand one if I were you.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thanks Lads, it was a spare that I picked up from a mate and was lying around so I thought I might get it repaired.

I have thought about putting it on the GFs bike (there's no sprinting or drop offs being done on this bike ????)

Thanks Lads, it was a spare that I picked up from a mate and was lying around so I thought I might get it repaired.

I have thought about putting it on the GFs bike (there's no sprinting or drop offs being done on this bike ????)

We repair magnesium Porsche engine casings cylinder head bolt threads with proper inserts like timeserts- they don't give trouble again - you won't have trouble from them on a crank - they are full length threaded to a bigger outside diameter than the original hole in the crank and the inner is the same as original.

Look like this.

https://goo.gl/images/jhTHMX

An insert wil sort out the problem easily, preferably the expanding type from wurth or similar. Stay clear of heli coils as they do not hold sufficient torque and are weak.

I have thought about putting it on the GFs bike (there's no sprinting or drop offs being done on this bike [emoji39])

I've had a stripped crank repaired at an engineering shop. Lasted a food court of years after that in various bikes.

They drilled out the thread and a wider part around it, then pressed a wedge shape insert from the back, and threaded it. I just used a washer on the front that was wider than the insert to spread the force from screwing in the pedal.

We repair magnesium Porsche engine casings cylinder head bolt threads with proper inserts like timeserts- they don't give trouble again - you won't have trouble from them on a crank - they are full length threaded to a bigger outside diameter than the original hole in the crank and the inner is the same as original.

Look like this.https://goo.gl/images/jhTHMX

Where can i have this done ?

Where can i have this done ?

My normal engineer for this is Camper at JR engineering in strydom park - not sure if he has done a crank but he has done a few cases for me