Need Advice On What To Buy

Myprod

I have a normal pedal bike and my father who is not even 60 years yet has a Levo. He is a weekend warrior at best, Only really riding in good weather when he feels like it, that was until he got the Levo. He now rides with me and my group of friends on his Levo while we ride on our normal pedal bikes. He is riding at least 3 times a week and it enjoying his riding much more than before ( he also has a mx background as do I). His fitness is improving at a rapid rate and he is enjoying the riding because he feels he can ride for longer and up to places he never could previously. He also has a normal pedal bike for events and to ride when he has to. My feeling is if you are waning to get into riding for the enjoyment and and having fun on the downhills the Levo will work for you. You will still get fit. It all depends on how much assistance you want from the bike. The geometry of the Levo is well suited to throwing it around the trails at Meerendal. More and more events are including e-bike categories.. I would ride the Levo in the mountains. You will be able ride more, more often. I also ride my normal pedal bike with 12 speed eagle and it is still hard work up he climbs ( ok, I am 90 kg, so it will probably always be hard work). Just my 2 cents of info having access to the Levo and riding a 12 speed groupset on a normal pedalled bike. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, thanks for the info everyone!

I would LOVE a Kenevo but can only get in a month. I can get hold of a Levo Expert for a decent price. Ohlins suspension, full carbon ( including wheels ) hence I looked at the Levo as an alternative.

It seems from forums all over the place the general consensus is the following...

If you have an E-bike for the trails, and a decent well specced pedal bike, the E-Bike is the one that gets ridden the most. My plan is to ride at least 3-4 times a week. Something I will not be able to do until I am fit. I guess an E-Bike is cheating in a way, but I want to look after my health here as this whole no exercise thing will catch up to me one day.

You say "I want to get into mountain biking as I have become extremely unfit and really need to do some sort of exercise"

And       -      you want to buy an ebike?

What am I missing?

Porqu.,i I think its a general misconception that you wont get fit riding an E-Bike. The thought process behind the E-Bike initially came from an accessibility point of view. I would be able to ride more, for longer whilst I am unfit. 

I could be wrong, hence I am asking the questions. 

Ebikes are slow in singletracks and always hold me up in events.

The bikes aren't slow. It's the people riding a bike that makes it slow. If you got on that e-bike, you'd be just as fast as you are now. 

Good for you, but if you read the OP you'd have seen that he's not interested in events. 

You say "I want to get into mountain biking as I have become extremely unfit and really need to do some sort of exercise"

And       -      you want to buy an ebike?

What am I missing?

YOu still get a bloody good workout on an e-bike. You just go further in the same time, for the same effort. 

Or you just ride the same speed with less effort.

Its easier to loaf on an ebike.

Edited by Async

Porqu.,i I think its a general misconception that you wont get fit riding an E-Bike. The thought process behind the E-Bike initially came from an accessibility point of view. I would be able to ride more, for longer whilst I am unfit. 

I could be wrong, hence I am asking the questions. 

YOu still get a bloody good workout on an e-bike. You just go further in the same time, for the same effort. 

I guarantee you that you will NOT get fit on an ebike

(did not say you can't)

100% correct. 

If I look at the heart rate data from an e-bike ride or a normal pedal bike ride. I can easily climb on he e-bike at 80-90% of max hear rate. Just as I would if I was on my normal pedal bike. Only difference is the speed at which I would climb at. People having the though that using an e-bike is "cheating" or you won't get fit is a very bad misconception. People who would never ride because they are too unfit and its too difficult can now ride more and improve their fitness to be able to ride a normal pedalled bike better and with more enjoyment.

I guarantee you that you will NOT get fit on an ebike

(did not say you can't)

ke? Come on, dude. You know that's not right. 

You ride more, you get fitter. Simple. Even if there's assistance coming from a motor. 

Dude, sounds like you've already made up your mind. Just buy what you like... you don't need validation "advise"... it's up to you to make your purchase work for you.