Need Advice On What To Buy

Myprod

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new indeed. 

Marsh, yes my mind was set on a Kenvo but that isn't happening. I read the thread about e bikes last night on bike hub and decided to ask myself. From what I can gather, there are some pretty unhappy people when it comes to E-bikes. Do they belong in competition? No, not at all. Should they be allowed to ride in an event, sure, if its not timed and they start last and wont interfere with the field. 

It seems the guys who have them love them and the guys who dont have them are kinda like meh. Thats why I wanted to ask. Look, at the end of the day its quite a bit of money ( well for me anyway )  and I dont want to make a mistake. 

If you decide on the ebike, make sure that your battery is always charged. 

They are very heavy to pedal without the assistance. 

But I have to agree with most, ride what you want to ride, and don't be a "box" about it. 

General rule of the hub, when you are out in the world, Don't be a prick. 

Also think long term, when you start, you will probably ride alone, but as time goes by, you will have mates that will ride with you. 

How are you going to feel riding an ebike, while they are sweating blood and tears? At this stage, there are very few guys with ebikes, so getting a group together might be a mission.  

Each to his own, indeed!!

If you are willing to drop R80k on an E-bike, I would counter that with buying a flippin' sick bike for R40k, kit yourself out properly and take the rest of the money and go to Thailand for 3 weeks.

Something that I just thought of now...how much do E-bike services go for and who does them?

I'd hate to have a fall on one of those and do some damage to the motor.

No idea what the services etc cost. Battery and Motor have a 5 year warranty, thats all I know. 

@Allrounder, valid points about group rides etc. No intention to be a knob to anyone, if someone is quicker than me, i will gladly pull over and let them past. I think general manners go a long way in all aspects of life. I just want to have some fun being outdoors and possible bring the SO along if she is keen.

If buying the e-bike will be the motivating factor (initially) to get you out on the trails then go for it.

You can always sell it down the line and buy a normal MTB.... 

Honestly, who cares what others think, just go have fun and be safe.

Don't forget about Strava and the gamification of cycling. You won't be able to take part in that at all on an e-bike! 

not true

strava lets you log rides as e bike rides and also lets you say you were riding an e bike

so both the bike type and ride can be flagged as e bike

No idea what the services etc cost. Battery and Motor have a 5 year warranty, thats all I know. 

@Allrounder, valid points about group rides etc. No intention to be a knob to anyone, if someone is quicker than me, i will gladly pull over and let them past. I think general manners go a long way in all aspects of life. I just want to have some fun being outdoors and possible bring the SO along if she is keen.

Services on the Levo are same as a normal pedalled bike. The motor can be serviced by Specialized and costs approximately the same as a Brain service from Specialized. Everything else is serviced as normal. With the Levo not having a Brain at the rear, the servicing will generally be no more than an Epic with a Brain at the back... this is from my experience 

I guarantee you that you will NOT get fit on an ebike

(did not say you can't)

I don't see how you can state that you will not get fit from an e-bike. I have seen people getting fitter and healthier from riding on their e-bikes. 

I have tested people who have been riding e-bikes and they have all improved their fitness. 

not true

strava lets you log rides as e bike rides and also lets you say you were riding an e bike

so both the bike type and ride can be flagged as e bike

Ah I never knew! So are the segments KOMS and whatnot only filled with ebike users? 

The fun part is not logging a ride, but comparing past and present against friends and against yourself  :clap:

Just a thought - If you are willing to drop R80-90k on an e-bike, why not buy two R35-40k normal bikes for you and the GF? Then you can start cycling together, get fit together, you have a nice riding partner and you will get "permission" to go cycling a lot easier because she will probably come along most of the time. For R35-40k you can get very nice normal bikes.

Let me say off the bat that I have no issues with e-bikes or those that use them.

But if you're worried about fitness I think its fair to say that a 31 year old man weighing 75kg at about 1.75m tall probably doesn't have much to worry about. Assuming of course that you're in good health otherwise. You would be surprised just how quickly you can condition yourself. No doubt you can get fitter on an e-bike. But its a bit like banting on weekends if you ask me. Don't sell yourself short. Rent a good bicycle or test ride one and see how it goes before you decide. You may just end up paying double for a ride which (in lieu of your fitness priority) could possibly only deliver a hollow sense of achievement. 

MyProd, don't listen to all of the e-bike haters. They get off on slagging something they've probably never even swung a leg over. 

If I had some cash to burn, I'd buy a Kenevo and slap a 180mm Boxxer on it. *sploosh* It'll be your own little shuttle to get up and down those lekker WC tracks. There are also some pretty sick other ebikes out there, but they get pretty damn expensive. 

If you want to go human powered, I'd definitely go for a longer travel bike, with modern geometry. >160mm travel, >470 reach, 29er or 6fiddy. Hell, if I were you, I'd look into a Capra 29. 

Just my 2c. 

Archived