Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

So did they get enough time to work out a humble on air apology for this one without looking like a chop yet?

Nooope, its was aired on Tuesday night but no apology. Just some waffle about being in a zone with single focus

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it on good authority that the Epic is really easy - you just need the right gearing.

I have it on good authority that the Epic is really easy - you just need the right gearing.

Don't forget tyres....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, a friend won an entry to the Epic 2020. And asked me... for my half of R200000... His current partner might not be able to deliver. I can’t either, so where does one even begin...

Edit: that’s the full budget. Including coaching, travels, practice stage race etc...

Strong statement there uncle that road is junk miles, I respectfully disagree. Building base and riding tempo on road is invaluable for MTB racing.

Correct, riding and training on a road bike or on the road at specific times is vital for anyone who races a mtb. 

The problem is when they only do that then think they will do 100km in 3hrs at the Epic.

So, a friend won an entry to the Epic 2020. And asked me... for my half of R200000... His current partner might not be able to deliver. I can’t either, so where does one even begin...

Edit: that’s the full budget. Including coaching, travels, practice stage race etc...

You must be joking. Go do Swiss Epic and fly business class for less than half and the riding is 10000000 x better. 

No man, this is getting out of hand, 100k for a race? That's bordering on insane. My wife would actually try to involuntarilly commit me to a psychiatric facility if I was considering paying that to ride trails to which I mostly have access to on a weekly basis.

Like J. Wakefield said, go ride the Swiss Epic, then after that book yourself a week long holiday at a bike park in Europe. 100k will cover all of that.

No man, this is getting out of hand, 100k for a race? That's bordering on insane. My wife would actually try to involuntarilly commit me to a psychiatric facility if I was considering paying that to ride trails to which I mostly have access to on a weekly basis.

Like J. Wakefield said, go ride the Swiss Epic, then after that book yourself a week long holiday at a bike park in Europe. 100k will cover all of that.

and you in another side of the world with different people and personalities. Not the same same.

I honestly battle to understand the obsession with Epic and the costs people spend to have bragging rights to say "Im doing" or "I did" Epic. 

You must be joking. Go do Swiss Epic and fly business class for less than half and the riding is 10000000 x better.

Wow, then I heard from someone in the know that R100k is a conservative budget for epic... Probably better to sit and watch on the TV again and rather save up for something like you said

Silk road mountain race is only 360 Euro, cheaper to fly there and race and buy a new bike than just enter epic...

and you in another side of the world with different people and personalities. Not the same same.

I honestly battle to understand the obsession with Epic and the costs people spend to have bragging rights to say "Im doing" or "I did" Epic.

Have you done the epic?

Wow, then I heard from someone in the know that R100k is a conservative budget for epic... Probably better to sit and watch on the TV again and rather save up for something like you said

I don,t know how you get to R100000 for one rider .I paid for my entry,flights,bike maintenance package ,Kit was sponsored.R60000 max for 2019 .Things you don,t need are ,a new bike,expensive kit,a coach,special diet,massages ,and fisio.Riders get to stressed up with this event .If you are fit ,trained enough and manage your stages .It is easier than you anticipated 

I don,t know how you get to R100000 for one rider .I paid for my entry,flights,bike maintenance package ,Kit was sponsored.R60000 max for 2019 .Things you don,t need are ,a new bike,expensive kit,a coach,special diet,massages ,and fisio.Riders get to stressed up with this event .If you are fit ,trained enough and manage your stages .It is easier than you anticipated

I think youre confusing the Absa Cape Epic with the sani2c?

His reasoning is that you will spend more time on the bike = more frequent drivetrain replacements & supplements. Accommodation including for Tankwa (his choice of a practice race) and two weeks at the Epic. Dietician R10000 for 9 months. Things I think one can try to save on. If I don’t believe in what he wants to budget for, I’d rather back out

Archived