Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

His reasoning is that you will spend more time on the bike = more frequent drivetrain replacements & supplements. Accommodation including for Tankwa (his choice of a practice race) and two weeks at the Epic. Dietician R10000 for 9 months. Things I think one can try to save on. If I don’t believe in what he wants to budget for, I’d rather back out

I did nothing of the sorts .I entered ,doubled my time on the bike ,from 6 hours a week to between 10 and 12 quality hours .We did a 4 hour ride almost every weekend from mid december ,then tapered the last two weeks .No special food ,no new drivetrain .We rode route 62 as a team ,i don,t count that as epic expenditure,.We had a great uncomplicated experience.If you are racing ,the massages and diet is probably important .I ate less the epic week than the week after .IMO quality time on the bike and constant training three months before the event is key .The rest is semantics and histeria !

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did nothing of the sorts .I entered ,doubled my time on the bike ,from 6 hours a week to between 10 and 12 quality hours .We did a 4 hour ride almost every weekend from mid december ,then tapered the last two weeks .No special food ,no new drivetrain .We rode route 62 as a team ,i don,t count that as epic expenditure,.We had a great uncomplicated experience.If you are racing ,the massages and diet is probably important .I ate less the epic week than the week after .IMO quality time on the bike and constant training three months before the event is key .The rest is semantics and histeria !

My main reason for backing out is that that is the way the pro's would prepare and more... Great to hear your perspective.

I think youre confusing the Absa Cape Epic with the sani2c?

You get people who feel they have to get new bike, dietitian, all the gear, coaching etc to ride epic. And they get the job done.

And then you get people who get an entry a week before the race, and then does epic without hooha or fanfare and gets the job done.

You really don't need to spend the big bucks to ride it, spending does make it easier if you don't already have a bike, base fitness or live the lifestyle already.

R100k for one person to ride the Epic is waaaay over the top and probably indicates that the potential partner isn't the right fit.

beyond your portion of the entry there should not be any additional costs other than normal training and maintenance

First a different take on this. I did the usual rides, was an average weekend racer and so forth. Then we decided to do Epic, and I changed my lifestyle... more exercise, better diet, etc.

I started sleeping better - that alone was worth the R75k that it cost - and having a serious goal made all the difference. So of course Epic is an expensive adventure, but to me it is worth the cost. The ride is great and tough, not more so than other events, but you will struggle to find a similar hype and atmosphere elsewhere... and that is part of the experience.

Of course you must pay for that massage. I'd pay that money again, even if I didn't ride! Not everything in life is about money.

Or - it is, in my case, a weight loss program that will cost you about R6000 per kg.

I tried getting a lottery entry, but no luck... How late could one leave it to get an entry for the next year?

Sounds like to you the money is no object...

Ironman is more expensive per day than the Cape Epic but of course its 8 days..

It's still a massive cash out.

Yes it's tough

yes it's an achievement to finish it doesn't reward lazy people...

But it's still R50k per person minimum to ride a bicycle ride (95% of the field is there to make up numbers)

There are better experiences for the same cost. How you value the Epic really depends on your priorities.

First a different take on this. I did the usual rides, was an average weekend racer and so forth. Then we decided to do Epic, and I changed my lifestyle... more exercise, better diet, etc.

I started sleeping better - that alone was worth the R75k that it cost - and having a serious goal made all the difference. So of course Epic is an expensive adventure, but to me it is worth the cost. The ride is great and tough, not more so than other events, but you will struggle to find a similar hype and atmosphere elsewhere... and that is part of the experience.

Of course you must pay for that massage. I'd pay that money again, even if I didn't ride! Not everything in life is about money.

Or - it is, in my case, a weight loss program that will cost you about R6000 per kg.

Why do you need to pay to lose weight?

Relative to a degree, some people are more inclined on dropping a bar on a privateer entry to do the Dakar. That's mad, in my view.

If the Epic is considered too dear a price, why do some people feel a need to impose a viewpoint on what it is, isn't, should be etc etc
It serves a need and for many it is the culmination of an adventure. It certainly doesn't detract from the sport or anyone else's enjoyment of the sport. 

Where there's a will there is a way, I know of a few people who manage to get an entry despite not being in the financial position to do so. Charity, proposals to clients etc. 
Good for them.
There are a number of events out there at a fraction of the price and varying budget options, we're incredibly priviledged to be spoilt for choice. 
Events also don't define what it means to ride a bike.