Overspec bike

AmRider

is it possible to "overmod" a bicycle(Road or Mtb)See a new "gadget" on show,must have it on the bike,whether practical or not! Is it always best to have the latest component fitted,surely it can become to expensive for some,will the bike still perform as to what it was designed for.Isn't better to become a better rider that having a better bike?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no answer to that...

1: If you have the cash spend it on whatever the f### you want

2: Build the bike for the job at hand- Commuters don't need race components that need high maintenance, XC racers don't need Maxxis Crossmark tyres, strokes for folks, pick the club for the shot you need to make

3: He who dies with the most toys wins

I ride a pretty basic bike, XT, 1x11, Crests on Hope pro 4's with an Aluminium frame, but it is exactly what I need, I can throw it over fences for AR and hammer it and not worry about it breaking, If I only rode mtb I would have a very different bike

Of course it's better to become a better rider - most decent riders will make me look like a complete noob even if they ride a Makro bike. But I don't always upgrade parts because I believe they will make me a better rider - I upgrade because I want to.

So no, I don't think a bike can be over specced - the sky is the limit. If you can afford it, and you want it that's all the justification that is needed.

What ever blows your hair back. There are hundreds of cyclists riding R100k bikes who could just as well ride R5k entry level bikes. But they can afford to ride expensive bikes. And you get to scare people on the start line

I'm going with 'no'. Do what you like to your bike. If it makes you happier on the bike, then do it. People who judge you will be judging you for plenty other reasons too. #rideon

I'd also say no else most of us deserve no more than a Giant from Makro [emoji39]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I'd also say no else most of us deserve no more than a Giant from Makro [emoji39]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I don't think makro stock Giant.

Raleigh and totem their marquee brands

Upgrade the bike until you are happy with it, but don't expect to get your money back should you sell.

upgrade upgrade upgrade till you get to the point where you feel the bike is overspecced, then upgrade the frame. ta-da - new bike, then repeat the process!

upgrade upgrade upgrade till you get to the point where you feel the bike is overspecced, then upgrade the frame. ta-da - new bike, then repeat the process!

Ha - been working on that one. Missus is not buying that argument at all.

Ha - been working on that one. Missus is not buying that argument at all.

As long as its the same colour, technically, it is the same bike...........

Depends. You can overcapitalise if you're planning to get your money back when you sell it, but if you think a bike is a sound financial investment you have your head up your bum.

Likewise, if you're putting XX1 Eagle on a Makro full susser you need your head read, possibly after having it surgically removed from said orifice.

If you're spending money you can afford on a thing that improves your experience, go nuts.

Archived