Overspec bike

AmRider

Depends. You can overcapitalise if you're planning to get your money back when you sell it, but if you think a bike is a sound financial investment you have your head up your bum.

Likewise, if you're putting XX1 Eagle on a Makro full susser you need your head read, possibly after having it surgically removed from said orifice.

If you're spending money you can afford on a thing that improves your experience, go nuts.

Sound financial investment on such a rapidly depreciating item like a bicycle, agree on the head needing reading.....

I hear you though on over-capitalizing though, I am happily married to my steed for the next 10 years!!!!!

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ONLY over spec.  No bike out of the factory is 100% you.

Agreed 100%! That's why I prefer building up a bike with all of the good deals found here on Bikehub

You'll NEVER get your money back on a bike.

You don't buy it for an investment. You buy it for pleasure.

I ONLY over spec. No bike out of the factory is 100% you.

100%. A bike is a toy. Don't even consider the resale value when buying. When the time comes to sell you cut your losses and move on. If you take that "loss" and divide it over the hours you spent smiling on the bike, I garruantee you it will be worthwhile.

there is no answer to that...

1: If you have the cash spend it on whatever the f### you want

2: Build the bike for the job at hand- Commuters don't need race components that need high maintenance, XC racers don't need Maxxis Crossmark tyres, strokes for folks, pick the club for the shot you need to make

3: He who dies with the most toys wins

I ride a pretty basic bike, XT, 1x11, Crests on Hope pro 4's with an Aluminium frame, but it is exactly what I need, I can throw it over fences for AR and hammer it and not worry about it breaking, If I only rode mtb I would have a very different bike

Yes. Rule number 3.

Nope.... cannot "overdo" your trusty steed....Do what makes you happy. Just don't expect to get any ROI on all the improvements once you decide to sell... All those fancy and blingy spacers and crank bolts means nada to Bob trying to score a bargain in the classifieds.

Buy whatever you want. If you want it enough then it's worth having. :whistling:

...Use it, don't use it.

Upgrading a bike is fine if you were on a budget to buy and you bought the nice frame but with the lower end parts then yes but having a entry level bike and thinking it's going to work/perform like a hi end bike with a couple of bits I think not.

These 2 come to mind.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/NinerMCR2018-1.jpg

Pinarello-Dogma-K10S-Disk-White-Orange.j

Upgrading a bike is fine if you were on a budget to buy and you bought the nice frame but with the lower end parts then yes but having a entry level bike and thinking it's going to work/perform like a hi end bike with a couple of bits I think not.

Disagree.

I have built 'bottom of the range' bikes up to spec better than the Brand's "top of the range" bike.

For some or other reason people (and more so bike manufacturers) think in the lines of the motor industry.

BMW 3series can never be a 7 series.  Understandable.

But a Cannondale "Scalpel 4" can become better than a "Scalpel Team" by doing upgrades over time

Disagree.

I have built 'bottom of the range' bikes up to spec better than the Brand's "top of the range" bike.

For some or other reason people (and more so bike manufacturers) think in the lines of the motor industry.

BMW 3series can never be a 7 series. Understandable.

But a Cannondale "Scalpel 4" can become better than a "Scalpel Team" by doing upgrades over time

I think he is speaking more along the lines of buying a Makro bike and trying to turn it into a Scalpel than your example...

I think as long as you don't take the resale value into account, and you do the upgrades with the purpose of making our ride and life more enjoyable, then go for it. The worst thing you can do is not buy something because you won't be able to sell it for much.

You want to buy that frame with the integrated seatpost that has to be cut to your size? Buy it, if it limits your selling prospects down the line then so be it, you get to keep the bike then.

Disagree.

BMW 3series can never be a 7 series.  Understandable.

then you agree rather than disagree with the dude. that is exactly what he is saying :wacko:

These 2 come to mind.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/NinerMCR2018-1.jpg

This Niner is very interesting!!

This Niner is very interesting!!

It's a short travel mtb with dropbars and now called a gravel suspension bike :whistling: