Cape Epic Bike cleaning/ mechanics

alexmamet

Hi there, how does that works? is that an extra service? thanks

Edited by alexmamet

Hi there, how does that works? is that an extra service? thanks

CE will wash your bike and that is included - servicing after that is for your account - the CE wash is not perfect, so most service packages will include washing your bike again after the first wash.

• 2 months later...

What they mean, is they will pressure wash your bike and bearings to the point you'll have to replace them after the race, at least from what I've seen in videos and heard from participants.

I never use these pressure wash stations. A mate if mine (he is a hubber actually) had his rather new fork sieze up on him going into Tulbagh one year. The SRAM service team opened the fork and water ran out. I chatted to one of the sram guys afterwards, he said they had many forks like that.

If a Bike wash technician is stupid enough to blast high pressure water into a fork, what does your bearings look like afterwards?

The fine dust in tulbagh area is also a pain to deal with . . Super fine!

It might cost you extra but sometimes its worth the peace of mind

The service packages are sold through bike shops that chose to have a presence at the Cape Epic. Costs range from About R4500 to R11000.

The cheaper packages do what’s necessary to keep your bike working everyday. The expensive packages often include bearing replacement and chain replacement during the event.

They also include a suspension during and after the event.

Which end of the spectrum you opt , a service package is a necessary expense

• 2 months later...

Any particular recommendations as to who in particular to try to book for bike service?

I've emailed Midstream cycles, Cycleworx Sedgefield, and Trail & Tar (as these were listed on the CE website as options). Haven't heard back from them yet re: availability and cost.

Interested as to whether anyone else who knows the area or who've raced the CE in the past recommend anyone else.

I do not believe you need the service, unless you have money to burn. I only use a service team on one of my 3 Epics and it was a waste. Remember it is only about 1000 km, if you have serviced your bike beforehand why would you need the service package? (Because you bought into the hype?)

If you have an issue with the supplied bikewash, you can clean your drive train yourself, that is all that needs cleaning anyway.

If something serous goes wrong (my fork seized up once due to dust ingress and not servicing it beforehand) the suppliers/service centers are there to assist you. Well they were for me.

But if you want to go big go for it, In Ctn good guys to talk to are Manic Cycles in Worcester and Gecko Cycles in Brakenfell, the have been doing it since the 3rd Epic already so they know the drill.

Also check to see which service providers are close to the village as some are not part of the setup and you will have a way to go to get your bike to or from them. (This is quite a thing)

I do not believe you need the service, unless you have money to burn. I only use a service team on one of my 3 Epics and it was a waste. Remember it is only about 1000 km, if you have serviced your bike beforehand why would you need the service package? (Because you bought into the hype?)

I was going to ask the same thing. Other than a drivetrain and stanchion clean, and possibly minor adjustments, why would you need a daily bike service after a 100km ride?

I was going to ask the same thing. Other than a drivetrain and stanchion clean, and possibly minor adjustments, why would you need a daily bike service after a 100km ride?

Its mostly for the convenience of not having to clean your bike yourself, especially if you are a back marker coming in late and you still have to get washed, fed and ready for the next day.

Tom

This should-I-or-shouldn't-I conundrum keeps popping up on various topics when talking about especially rides like Epic. In the end the answer is obvious.

If you intend on just leisurely trundling along at a snail's pace - then cool, don't service or wash your bike... but if you ride it like a proper MTB race, then what is a few $ extra for peace of mind, considering the (exorbitant and stupid ;) ) $$$ you have already spent on getting there?

I assume that most riders at Epic always service their bikes before the event, yet I have never seen so many mechanical issues like broken wheels, chains, handlebars, shifters, bearings, etc... Yes, it is a hard race.

Imagine spending R100k + (yep - it is a team event, so when your bike breaks, you stuff up your teammate's event too!), just to have a DNF due to a silly breakdown. And you do not want to wash, clean, lube and change a tire after 6 plus hours of climbing koppies in the Cape!

We were 110% prepared and rode mid-pack. We still had 2 tires replaced, broken spokes, a bearing stuffed and spongy brakes fixed...

Pay for the service package and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Uncleslow

If you have an issue with the supplied bikewash, you can clean your drive train yourself, that is all that needs cleaning anyway.

If something serous goes wrong (my fork seized up once due to dust ingress and not servicing it beforehand) the suppliers/service centers are there to assist you. Well they were for me.

But if you want to go big go for it, In Ctn good guys to talk to are Manic Cycles in Worcester and Gecko Cycles in Brakenfell, the have been doing it since the 3rd Epic already so they know the drill.

Also check to see which service providers are close to the village as some are not part of the setup and you will have a way to go to get your bike to or from them. (This is quite a thing)

Murphy's law 

even if everything is perfect , sh#t happens and Said sh#t can cause other sh#t and before you know it A broken spoke has caused brake and drivetrain issues 

if I'm paying 100k plus for A race the mech package seems like A good idea 

...I'd rather take my bike to France/wales for two weeks for that money if I'm honest

Some great points here, some of which echo my thoughts exactly.

Given the expense to get to this point, regardless of pre race preparation, unexpected issues are going to arise. Even if you're lucky enough to avoid mechanicals (which I've heard is extremely rare in this race), best case you'll be exhausted if you're putting forth a race effort every day over those kind of distances, and will want the extra time post race to rest, not service your bike.

Obviously this is an extra expense and not in the budget for everyone, but if you can swing it, seems like getting a mechanic makes some good sense here. We're going to go that route.